Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there any patch to transfer file through bluetooth to other phones??
    I don't think a mere patch could do that.
    OBEX is required to transfer files via bluetooth and even if pixi has compatible hardware(which i think it has) it must take a software update to make it happen-which is a rare possibility.
    But now that the os is on verge of being open-sourced we can see such things happening in near future(at least 6 months before that happens).
    Quote Originally Posted by nattysinister View Post
    I don't think a mere patch could do that.
    OBEX is required to transfer files via bluetooth and even if pixi has compatible hardware(which i think it has) it must take a software update to make it happen-which is a rare possibility.
    But now that the os is on verge of being open-sourced we can see such things happening in near future(at least 6 months before that happens).
    UPDATE:SAD NEWS See this link http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBject_EXchange
    and go to supported devices.
    It clearly states that "All Palms since Palm III, except the Palm Pre, Palm Pre Plus, Palm Pixi and Palm Pixi Plus." support OBEX.Thus even a software update could not help us.
    UPDATE:SAD NEWS See this link OBject EXchange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    and go to supported devices.
    It clearly states that "All Palms since Palm III, except the Palm Pre, Palm Pre Plus, Palm Pixi and Palm Pixi Plus." support OBEX.Thus even a software update could not help us.
    That means nothing. Either updated firmware or software is needed to get that Bluetooth profile. Sad that my old Nokia 6555 has it but my Pixi does not. Also, OS 3 was before Bluetooth so that article is incorrect.
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    That means nothing. Either updated firmware or software is needed to get that Bluetooth profile. Sad that my old Nokia 6555 has it but my Pixi does not. Also, OS 3 was before Bluetooth so that article is incorrect.
    Well I am not the author but that article is from WIKIPEDIA And that clearly states that pixi does not support OBEX which is required for transfer through bluetooth.
    Well I am not the author but that article is from WIKIPEDIA And that clearly states that pixi does not support OBEX which is required for transfer through bluetooth.
    Right, because it doesn't have that profile. Remember, webOS doesn't support PAN but freetether added the PAN profile. Same principle here. It's a matter of installing the profile, which is for the most part hardware independent.
    Right, because it doesn't have that profile. Remember, webOS doesn't support PAN but freetether added the PAN profile. Same principle here. It's a matter of installing the profile, which is for the most part hardware independent.
    Great to hear that;Wikipedia left me disappointed.
    But are you sure about it ?
    I am still skeptical about that profile thing as developers would have done that before doing anything else as adding a profile sounds way too easy for a developer to do.(Also bluetooth file transfer in web os would be probably most awaited development).
    WISH ANY DEVELOPER COULD CONFIRM OR DENY THE POSSIBILITY WITH SOME TECHNICAL EXPLANATION.
    Bluetooth file transfer and led control would certainly complete my pixi.
    Last edited by nattysinister; 12/29/2011 at 11:21 PM.
    well google-search this forum, for bluetooth and file. there is e.g. a thread about working bt-filerecieving on Pre3. It is possible it's only a software/OS lack.
    Don't get your hopes up. I asked for this back in 2009 and well.... It isn't here.
    Great to hear that;Wikipedia left me disappointed.
    But are you sure about it ?
    I am still skeptical about that profile thing as developers would have done that before doing anything else as adding a profile sounds way too easy for a developer to do.(Also bluetooth file transfer in web os would be probably most awaited development).
    WISH ANY DEVELOPER COULD CONFIRM OR DENY THE POSSIBILITY WITH SOME TECHNICAL EXPLANATION.
    Bluetooth file transfer and led control would certainly complete my pixi.
    Just because it sounds easy doesn't mean it is. Until the source code is available, as well as a detailed hardware diagram for each phone, this would be impossible. While the profile part is easy, having it hook with the existing drivers is not without the above information. Unfortunately, even though webOS is Linux, it isn't hack to hell like Palm OS was.
    Just because it sounds easy doesn't mean it is. Until the source code is available, as well as a detailed hardware diagram for each phone, this would be impossible. While the profile part is easy, having it hook with the existing drivers is not without the above information. Unfortunately, even though webOS is Linux, it isn't hack to hell like Palm OS was.
    True it isn't easy just because it sounds so,
    I am glad to hear that it's not impossible.
    But still the big question (which may be difficult to answer) is that is there any development going on this issue-anyone working on it? Because Palm has lacked bluetooth file transfer for years and no-one has a solution yet.
    I wish I could help in anyway.I have donated a couple of times though.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Don't get your hopes up. I asked for this back in 2009 and well.... It isn't here.
    Don't lose hope it's the moral of the story.
    The lack of Obex profile has been weird from day 1.
    My prior dumbphones had that for 10 years.

The underlying Linux Kernel obviously has the BT driver support as we can see from all those other profiles that available. And Linux had support for the obex profile for many years.

So it is puzzling that no webOS device ever got the obex profile. It seems to me that all that is needed is a webOS interface to the existing implementation.

Perhaps carriers didn't like it - but I don't see why.

I'm looking forward to what the open sourced webOS will reveal and make possible.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    its a bit off that we can recieve files fine enough but just cant send them, surely if we can do 1 we can do the other.

my pre3 and touchpad can recieve files fine from my familys LG Optimus android phones/some other $rand stuff, i just look a moron not being able to send anything back.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    its a bit off that we can recieve files fine enough but just cant send them, surely if we can do 1 we can do the other.

my pre3 and touchpad can recieve files fine from my familys LG Optimus android phones/some other $rand stuff, i just look a moron not being able to send anything back.
    Is this available in pixi too?Being able to at least receive files would help us a lot.
    not sure only used pre3/touchpad to do this, and even then the android device had to be the 1 starting the pairing as they could see me and i could not see them, but when they make their attempt, i got a message on the pre3/touchpad to accept their pairing.

I however could not see them to initiate a pair-up, which again sucked, they always had to do it.

EDIT: Added some pics of my sisters LG Optimus One initiating a pairing to my pre3, sent files end up in our /tmp folder (mentioned in an older thread somewhere) tho i recieve no visual/obvious notification of the file xfer.

If we can recieve, how not send? is it just the means/option to send in our stock apps we lack or more than this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by geekpeter; 12/30/2011 at 12:12 PM.
    Looks like it's part of the bluetooth protocol: Bluetooth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. That is open, but probably no OBEX Push Protocol on webOS because no JAR support:
    javax.obex Class Hierarchy (JSR 82 Bluetooth API and OBEX API)

javax vs java package - Stack Overflow

I've seen some threads recently on running JAR. i'll see if i can dig one up.
    Maybe this helps:
    Java Virtual Machine (JVM) works on WebOS 1.45/2.0

But not sure how to get OBEX as a JAR instead of jarx, or more important, how to get OPP to work.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Any chances yet?

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmcc View Post
    Any chances yet?
    nop, still dont have access to the guts of webOS to do the changes needed.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast