1.    #1  
    I just bought an unlocked Pixi Plus from Amazon (AT&T), and after reading through tons of messageboard posts about how to bypass the activation, I am still at a loss for what is the best approach-

If I use the Bypass Activation tool, will I still be able to use my Pixi plus as a phone/text?

If I activate by using a friend's sim card (with data), will I still be able to access the app store?

I guess just as a general question, what's the best way I can get around the activation without losing too much of the phone's original functionality? My intent with this phone is to use it for phone and text via sim card, but purely get my data through wi-fi (no data plan)

thanks!
    a
    Use a friends sim card with data and everything will work including the app catalog.
    I used the Bypass Tool and the phone works fine. I used wi-fi to create the Palm Profile and the App Catalog shows up. I'm in Canada on Bell without a data plan (the phone won't connect to Bell through data anyway because the internal settings are wrong/missing. I have read that there is a solution for that, but it requires digging into the internal database for carrier data info and changing it - more work than necessary and I don't need data anyway).

I don't know how things will work out using someone else's SIM. Before using the Bypass Tool, I tried to use my son's SIM and it wouldn't work as he is also on Bell and the above problem with data settings prevented creating the Palm Profile (without which the phone won't work unless you use the Bypass Tool). You may not have this problem with another cell provider.
    Could you explain exactly how you bypassed, and how you then used wifi to activate? I'm in a similar situation, and getting more and more confused as I read.
    Thanks
    I tried to give you a step-by step earlier, but the post went AWOL. I must have crossed the "you're making it too easy" line and caused my instructions to be punted?

Anyway, search the "Activation Bypass Tool" and follow the instructions. Install the "WebOSQuickinstall.jar" and "activation-bypass.patch" and, hopefully you'll end up with a functional phone (being able to turn on wi-fi and create the Palm Profile). So long as you have an activated SIM (put that in the phone before the other steps), you won't have to worry about any limitations (except data connection).
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Sheets View Post
    I tried to give you a step-by step earlier, but the post went AWOL. I must have crossed the "you're making it too easy" line and caused my instructions to be punted?

Anyway, search the "Activation Bypass Tool" and follow the instructions. Install the "WebOSQuickinstall.jar" and "activation-bypass.patch" and, hopefully you'll end up with a functional phone (being able to turn on wi-fi and create the Palm Profile). So long as you have an activated SIM (put that in the phone before the other steps), you won't have to worry about any limitations (except data connection).
    I am now more confused than ever.
  7.    #7  

thanks! managed to bypass....but now, how did you create your palm profile? i've installed webosquickinstall, but cannot find the patch you refer to.
    This thread:

forums.webosnation.com/webos-patches/269972-patch-enable-profile-creation-activation-bypassed-device-1-4-5-a (paste it into your browser address bar)

Glad you're making progress - I know its darned frustrating.
    This thread:

forums.webosnation.com/webos-patches/269972-patch-enable-profile-creation-activation-bypassed-device-1-4-5-a (paste it into your browser address bar)

Glad you're making progress - I know its darned frustrating.
    THAT LINK IS EXPIRED. REALLY NEED a new one
    I used the Bypass Tool and the phone works fine. I used wi-fi to create the Palm Profile and the App Catalog shows up. I'm in Canada on Bell without a data plan (the phone won't connect to Bell through data anyway because the internal settings are wrong/missing. I have read that there is a solution for that, but it requires digging into the internal database for carrier data info and changing it - more work than necessary and I don't need data anyway).

I don't know how things will work out using someone else's SIM. Before using the Bypass Tool, I tried to use my son's SIM and it wouldn't work as he is also on Bell and the above problem with data settings prevented creating the Palm Profile (without which the phone won't work unless you use the Bypass Tool). You may not have this problem with another cell provider.
    Can you call or text anybody?
    Quote Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
    Can you call or text anybody?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiquitabiddle View Post
    THAT LINK IS EXPIRED. REALLY NEED a new one

Try this:

forums.webosnation.com/webos-patches/269972-patch-enable-profile-creation-activation-bypassed-device-1-4-5-a.htm

otherwise, do a search and it will show up.