1.    #1  
    Say I bought a Palm Pixi Plus off of eBay. Would I be able to insert my GoPhone sim into the phone and use it right away?
    i may be mistaken, but didn't the Pixi only come in a Sprint variant?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    i may be mistaken, but didn't the Pixi only come in a Sprint variant?
    Sprint cdma verizion cdma at&t gsm
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by 74sickness View Post
    Sprint cdma verizion cdma at&t gsm
    So does this mean yes?
    Quote Originally Posted by jrichm0nd View Post
    So does this mean yes?
    Yes, as long as you buy an AT&T branded one (GSM) and NOT a Verizon or Sprint one (CDMA).

Since GoPhone is from AT&T, you probably don't even need to have it unlocked. I feel like I even saw them selling the Pixi Plus for GoPhone at some point... If you do end up needing it unlocked, there is a free, but kind of complicated way to do it: http://dogber1.blogspot.com/2011/07/...sm-phones.html

I'm pretty sure AT&T will force you to get a data plan if you use a smart phone though, even on prepaid. I'm not 100% sure though since I'm on a different carrier.

I've also heard of GoPhone SIMs being locked to a phone for new customers... But again, I don't know anything for certain about that. You could try asking a GoPhone/AT&T customer service rep, but they may or may not actually know what they're talking about.
    Last edited by Exhnozoaa; 12/05/2011 at 09:36 PM.
    For the record, even though I joined in August, I joined before the fire sale. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Exhnozoaa View Post
    Yes, as long as you buy an AT&T branded one (GSM) and NOT a Verizon or Sprint one (CDMA).

Since GoPhone is from AT&T, you probably don't even need to have it unlocked. I feel like I even saw them selling the Pixi Plus for GoPhone at some point... If you do end up needing it unlocked, there is a free, but kind of complicated way to do it: Dogbert's Blog: Free Unlocker for Palm/HP Phones

I'm pretty sure AT&T will force you to get a data plan if you use a smart phone though, even on prepaid. I'm not 100% sure though since I'm on a different carrier.

I've also heard of GoPhone SIMs being locked to a phone for new customers... But again, I don't know anything for certain about that. You could try asking a GoPhone/AT&T customer service rep, but they may or may not actually know what they're talking about.
    gophone sims are locked to the phone that you purchase for the first six months.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrichm0nd View Post
    Say I bought a Palm Pixi Plus off of eBay. Would I be able to insert my GoPhone sim into the phone and use it right away?
    yeah you can plug it in and start using it right away but it is going to require to buy an additional data package.
    if the phone is unlocked i would recommend using T-Mobile's pay as you go service, i was using it on a veer for a little while and for $30.00 i got 100 minutes, unlimited text and unlimited data, which the data speeds are not too bad, it is edge data, but my download rates were around 150Kbps which is not too bad. I couldn't tell the difference in data speed between my veer and my sprint pixi.
    My data speeds are absolutely terrible on it. (It being T-Mobile's prepaid with edge .. ) Especially with a ping time that ranges at best from 3-SECONDS (not ms) to 6-SECONDS.

Indoors, with 3-bars right now, EDGE connection, i'm getting 16.7kbps down, up is so low the app refuses to measure it, and a ping time of 3847ms, according to the webos "Net Speed" app.

If you're in the western Detroit suburbs, I can highly recommend against T-Mobile. Although their customer service people at their Northville store are fantastic, their network suuuuuuuuuuuucks.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    I do find that EDGE data on t-mo gets really slow with anything less than 4 bars. I almost always have 5 bars though, even indoors, and have rarely had a serious complaint about the data speed. Mostly I just use it for e-mail, but on the occaisions I needed to pull up a website it's worked just fine. I also tethered once to my PC just to test it and the couple of web pages I loaded came up fairly quickly.

There was one time though that I really needed to pull up a map, had 3 bars of service, and the data speed was so slow that the map just wouldn't load.
    yeah nothing -ever- comes up fairly quickly. I was tethering with it to my touchpad the other day while I was at Best Buy, and was able to get a Google search result in under a few minutes. That was especially quick. The ping time is absolutely horrifying, and the upload speed doesn't even measure, ever.

I just tried speedtest.net, and it's giving me 0.09mbps, with a 6000 ping. upload speed of 0.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    wow, must be your area because i get fairly decent speeds on t-mobiles edge data network.
    wow thats strange, im south of detroit and tmo's network is pretty alright over here. edge data is faster than my sprint 3g (i hate to say that but its true where i am at), and right now i am using an HSPA+ HTC HD7 on tmo and getting about 5 meg down consistently. No issues with tmo where i am at.
    Disable the data radio and don't ingest any data outside of the Messaging app (MMS) and they won't stick you with a dataplan.

At least they have not for me yet.
    Edit: GRAR! They got me, I must have left 3g radio on when I walked out of WiFi coverage. Damnit.
    Last edited by Saijin_Naib; 12/19/2011 at 01:39 AM.