Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So recently bought a Palm Pixi Plus. I've installed the Unthottle Download patch. I've noticed that it's still very slow when connected to my WiFi. Even with a 25Mbps download connection I'm never able to get more then 2.4Mbps. Can anyone shed some insight into this? Or perhaps respond with what speeds you are seeing for downloading over Wifi.
    if the app is accurate (Net Speed) I am getting around 2.1Mbps on a 16Mbps connection ( 16 is not my package but that is what i get when running a speed test ) , so it looks like you are right, still slow wifi speeds, i wonder why that is.

EDIT: I also have the patch installed.
  3.    #3  
    I can understand the limiting OS and hardware but why would Palm (HP) have a bg network card when those speeds are far from possible. I just checked my router and indeed my Pixi is connecting at 54M to it.
    Standing next to a DOCCIS 3 router rated for 330mbps on a 35mbps/5mbps plan, the pixi+ has never exceeded more than 3mbps. Usually 2.4mbps or so.

I just asked this question tonight on the #webos-internals IRC channel and was met with silence. I think it is a very interesting question. I feel like the radio SHOULD be faster. I don't have any justification, I just think those speeds are abysmal for a device released this century.
    the pixi is just a slow phone veer is much better but i still like the form factor of my pixi better then my veer.
    You're saying the hardware in the Pixi is incapable of processing a datastream faster than 2.4mbps? I don't buy that.
    Is it related with Qualcomm processor? Or wifi chip inside pixi?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    Is it related with Qualcomm processor? Or wifi chip inside pixi?
    Exactly. What is the issue here? Why are the Pixi/Pre phones SO slow with wifi/3g? Is it really just a hardware limitation of their radios?
  9.    #9  
    I don't understand what the point of placing a b/g network card into a device that will only download at the low end of 802.11b speeds. At the moment my device (on webos 1.4.5) is connected at 54M to my router. Speedtests are 2.1-2.4Mbps. Has anyone tried WebOS 2.x and with what type of result
    Good question derf. Presumably if it is a kernel/OS issue, webOS 2.x would allow the Pre/Pixi radios to operate faster than they do under 1.4.x

We know the Pre2/Veer/Pre3 operate MUCH faster over WiFi than the earlier generation devices and if the software between the old and new generations is made to be the same and the older devices still perform slowly, it would definitely point a finger at the radios or some other hardware limitation.
  11.    #11  
    Well I picked up this phone unlocked for $80 CDN, primarily so that i could tether a tablet in for data connectivity. It works fine for that and it was a low cost solution to my problem. Frankly I wish i could get Android on the device, as it stands I've got Ubuntu, Windose, and Honeycomb running at home, adding another OS is just a pain for syncing data.
    Last edited by derfinlondon; 11/22/2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: typo
    You don't know pain until you throw eComStation and Haiku into that mix and try to get LANMAN/SMB on eCS to cooperate with a mixed environment haha :P
    i was going to do a test on a pixi running 2.1 BUT the only apps available for download are paid, and i dont want to pay for a one time use, and i really dont feel like doctoring back to create an ipk and then putting 2.1 back onto my pixi, but if someone can provide me with an ipk of something i can test the speeds on a pixi running 2.1
    Net Speed by Karge Software isn't available for 2.x devices? Its free and seemingly what most use to test speed.

How do I make you an IPK of it from my 1.4.5 device?

Failing that, I'll just paypal you the 2$ or whatever to get the paid app so we can get some progress on this research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib View Post
    Net Speed by Karge Software isn't available for 2.x devices? Its free and seemingly what most use to test speed.

How do I make you an IPK of it from my 1.4.5 device?

Failing that, I'll just paypal you the 2$ or whatever to get the paid app so we can get some progress on this research.

for whatever reason, netspeed does not show up for the pixi running 2.1.

its fairly easy to recompile an ipk, you need the ipk packager tool which can be found here:

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-packager.html

And you have to have internalz loaded onto your phone. go into internalz, and go to the directory

/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/

and find the netspeed app folder (it is most likely going to be names something odd like com.(insert developers name here).somethingoranother, and copy it into your downloads folder, once it is copied to your downloads folder, you can plug your phone into your computer, copy the folder off of your phone onto your computer and use the ipk packager.

the ipk packager is extremely simple to use, you just point it to what folder to use and hit the package button.

or alternatively if you really want to paypal the cash to me the cheapest app is $0.99, the netSpeed app is $1.99.

PM if anyone cares to do either one, although creating an ipk is easy enough that i don't think anyone needs to spend the cash, but it would be faster.
  16.    #16  
    I've been using. testmyDOTnet on my pixi for results
    Last edited by derfinlondon; 11/23/2011 at 12:48 AM. Reason: typo
    Sorry for the delay, here is the repack tagged in the IPK packager tool as ARMV6 only as I'm not sure if this one supports ARMV7 also.

_-::CS 1.5 Clan-Mittens On Kittens::-_

(on my personal site because the forum won't allow me to upload it as it exceeds the 987kb limit or whatever it is)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib View Post
    Sorry for the delay, here is the repack tagged in the IPK packager tool as ARMV6 only as I'm not sure if this one supports ARMV7 also.

_-::CS 1.5 Clan-Mittens On Kittens::-_

(on my personal site because the forum won't allow me to upload it as it exceeds the 987kb limit or whatever it is)
    test results coming in here shortly, give me about 5 minutes.

EDIT: The results are in!

I tested this 10 times, and the results are consistent. The speed peaks from 1.0 to 1.1Mbps which is actually slower than when i am running 1.4.5. My pixi peaks at 2.1Mbps when running 1.4.5. Webos 2.1 is more demanding and requires more resources, which leads me to believe the hardware can't actually process everything fast enough.
    Last edited by smcbeaven; 11/23/2011 at 02:09 AM.
  19.    #19  
    Grrrr no need to flash 2.x then. How utterly annoying of palm. Mines still under warranty I may just call them on this it seems deceptive to market a device with a wifi speed that is on no way possible. Maybe they will swap it for a pre 3 or touchpad lol
    Last edited by derfinlondon; 11/23/2011 at 02:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by smcbeaven View Post
    test results coming in here shortly, give me about 5 minutes.

EDIT: The results are in!

I tested this 10 times, and the results are consistent. The speed peaks from 1.0 to 1.1Mbps which is actually slower than when i am running 1.4.5. My pixi peaks at 2.1Mbps when running 1.4.5. Webos 2.1 is more demanding and requires more resources, which leads me to believe the hardware can't actually process everything fast enough.
    This is the saddest thing I've read tonight. Interestingly, the Pre is about 2x faster than the Pixi and still is afflicted with pathetic netspeeds. Modem/radio firmwares maybe?

Thank you for taking the time to test it rigorously.

The IPK has been removed and will remain so until I get permission from Karge to distribute it. I only made it available for testing and testing is complete for now.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast