webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pixi and Pixi Plus > Pixi Plus Activation Question
Pixi Plus Activation Question

Old 10/01/2011, 11:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

I'm looking at buying an unlocked Palm Pixi Plus and using it without a data plan. I know that you need to go through the Palm Activation process, which you must have a data plan for. I don't want to use the Activation Bypass tool because I still want to download apps. Can I just borrow a friend's SIM card to activate it and then switch back to mine and use wifi? Does the activation need to be done on a certain carrier, or will any work?

Thanks for your help,
Steven
smengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2011, 05:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smengler View Post
I'm looking at buying an unlocked Palm Pixi Plus and using it without a data plan. I know that you need to go through the Palm Activation process, which you must have a data plan for. I don't want to use the Activation Bypass tool because I still want to download apps. Can I just borrow a friend's SIM card to activate it and then switch back to mine and use wifi? Does the activation need to be done on a certain carrier, or will any work?

Thanks for your help,
Steven
Make sure you activate it on AT&T in the US or your App Catalog will be very limited forever.

If you activate on another carrier, there is no way to go back, so make sure this hasn't already been done with the one you buy.
Exhnozoaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2011, 05:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhnozoaa View Post
Make sure you activate it on AT&T in the US or your App Catalog will be very limited forever.

If you activate on another carrier, there is no way to go back, so make sure this hasn't already been done with the one you buy.
Did Palm have some deal with AT&T for the apps? Why will I have limited apps? I live in Canada, so there's no AT&T around. Also, is this activating the phone (the hardware), or am I just making a Palm account to use on the phone?
Old 10/03/2011, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

NOTE: This won't work if you still want to use the pixi as a phone. The only connectivity it will have is via wifi.

I never paid a cent to activate my palm pixi plus and I have full app catalog access. Search precentral.net for:

Bypass Activation [webOS 1.x]

Follow the instructions strictly and you should be get it going no problem. Also, FYI Web OS Quick Install lists all of the patches in "Tweaks" under the "Tools" menu.

Last edited by bst82551; 10/03/2011 at 08:32 PM.
bst82551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2011, 10:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bst82551 View Post
NOTE: This won't work if you still want to use the pixi as a phone. The only connectivity it will have is via wifi.

I never paid a cent to activate my palm pixi plus and I have full app catalog access. Search precentral.net for:

Bypass Activation [webOS 1.x]

Follow the instructions strictly and you should be get it going no problem. Also, FYI Web OS Quick Install lists all of the patches in "Tweaks" under the "Tools" menu.
I still want to use it as a phone, so this method probably won't work. I've contacted Palm and they said that as long as I activate the phone on any carrier in Canada, I will get the Canadian App Catalog. They also said that if I had problems, or couldn't get the store, I could contact them and they would fix it for me. I guess when the phone arrives, I'll borrow a SIM card with data, do the activation, and the phone should work fine. I'll post back here about what happens.
Old 10/03/2011, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was able to use my T-Mobile sim card to activate my friend's unlocked Pixi plus, no problems at all. Then she put her own sim card with no data plan and it still works just fine. The only possible issue is that her phone didn't automatically fill in her mms settings and mine did... Don't know if that has anything to do with her not having a data plan. I put my settings into her phone and mms started working.

My friend's Pixi battery was running out much much faster than mine was until we manually turned data off on her phone.. Just a tip.

I think the unlocked ones probably were activated on at&t first though, or else how would someone have unlocked them? I guess I don't really know how unlocking works.
shadeybeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/03/2011, 11:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

I bought the phone unlocked from palm (EDIT: I thought it was being sold by Palm but it's not) through Amazon (it's currently shipping).

EDIT: Sorry can't link to Amazon, you can search for it if you want on the US store.

I thought it was a really good price, compared to non-smartphones. Plus, extra batteries are $3 each, chargers are $2, ect.

Quote:
My friend's Pixi battery was running out much much faster than mine was until we manually turned data off on her phone.. Just a tip.
I've heard this other places too. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by smengler; 10/07/2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11/09/2011, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hi i just bought an unlocked Pixi Plus on amazon as well and I'd like to use it with my T-mobile prepaid sim. When I bought the phone, I was under the impression that I could use it for the standard voice and text messaging that I have with my prepaid service, but that I would also have the benefit of using wifi internet. After reading this thread, I'm still not %100 sure if thats true or not.

I was assuming that if I'm able to run the device activation bypass tool, thus bypassing the palm registration that I can use the phone like I mentioned above. I'm new to smart phones in general, so maybe some can correct me if I'm wrong.

I use a mac with os 10.4 and I've been trying to run the device activation bypass without success. I was assuming the phone would show up on my desktop as usb drive. If so I could borrow a friends computer otherwise, I also have a computer with Linux.

Is this only possible on Windows? Does anyone have a link to a concise set of directions telling how bypass the activation?

Thanks for the help.
FrizzyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2011, 02:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smengler View Post

Thanks for your help,
Steven
I was in a similar situation - lost my Bell Canada phone so wanted a replacement with a physical keyboard but didn't want a data plan (nor a new contract).

I bought a new AT&T Pixi Plus on eBay. I bought a new Bell SIM, inserted it and then used Digitalunlock.com to unlock the phone (it was supposed to already have been unlocked when purchased, but I wanted to make sure).
I had Bell activate the SIM, then used the activation bypass tool. When the phone booted up, I had a functioning Wi-Fi connection, so used that to create a Palm profile and went about setting up the phone preferences as I wanted. There was no data connection (there are other threads on this problem if you want to fix this), but I don't want one anyway. Otherwise, the phone functions 100%, including the App Catalog (via Wi-Fi).

So it can be done.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Last edited by 3Sheets; 11/10/2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: change App Store to App Catalog
3Sheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

i recently got the palm pixi and i want to give this to my niece so she can you it in the house with wifi play games listen to music and so on but i the activation screen comes on is there some way i can by pass it quick and easy......
Jamie Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
activation

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0