1.    #1  
    I've often seen the battery cover to the pixi referred to as a protective case...isn't it just like every other phone and just that,a battery cover? I'm just trying to understand the difference here...
    Most other phones have hard plastic shells, or at least parts of them are. If for example you look at the EVO, it has a easily replaced battery cover on the back, but the battery cover does not surround the edges of the phone. The external edges and corners of the EVO are all shiny, hard and fragile plastic.

Unfortunately most phones are like that. If you drop a phone, it's most likely to land on a corner, and if that corner is hard plastic, it's going to crack, crush or break.

But on the Pixi, the corners are not hard plastic. The corners of the phone are covered by the soft, rubbery and easily-replaced battery cover. The only part that is exposed hard plastic is the face that holds the screen and the keyboard. But even if you drop it flat on its face, the buttons will hit first, absorbing some of the impact. So the only thing you really have to worry about is something pointy putting a lot of pressure directly on the screen. And in that situation, I don't think even a case would save the screen from damage.

So I carry my Pixi with a cheap HandHeldItems.com screen protector on it to protect the touchscreen from normal wear-and-tear scratches and nothing else. Aside from the battery cover getting a little dirty, it still looks as good as new. And I have at least 3 more battery covers sitting around as future replacements. I'm saving the black one for last, since it will show the least amount of dirt.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  3.    #3  
    thank you for the explanation!! I've been wanting to try the touchstone but afraid to go without the case LOL I feel better about trying it now
    The Pixi was the first phone I dared to carry naked, but now that I see how a phone can be designed to be carried naked and still be protected, I don't think I could go back to a phone that needed a separate case for protection.

The Pixi is such a simple little phone, but IMO there are so many things about it that make it simply perfect. I really don't know what I'll do if I ever have to replace it.
    Touchscreens are a fad.