Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've had a Treo 755p since Jan '08, and had a Visor for 5 years before that, so I'm addicted to Palm stuff. I'm looking at whatever might replace the Treo, tho' it's still working well.

I have a couple of concerns and I'm hoping to get answers.
    1- What is the Calendar program?
    2- What is the Mail program?

I'm a graphic designer working on a Mac, and don't rely on Microsoft programs at all. I'd hate to be forced into using them. Regardless the program, does the 'old' calendar transfer seamlessly to the 'new' calendar?

Thanks!
    If you're not on Sprint you should get a pre 2. If you're on AT&T and if you like smaller screens, you should get a veer. Those 2 phones work ALOT faster than the pixi and they have 2.1 respecitvely. Granted you can get 2.1 for the pixi as well but you won't get all the good features like voice dialing and flash.
    how can you get 2.1 for pixi?
    Quote Originally Posted by L.R.Cote View Post
    To answer your questions, any webOS phone will not force you into using Microsoft stuff. webOS synchronizes with online services for you calendar and email, such as Gmail or Facebook.

If you are wanting something that synchronizes directly with your desktop, that capability is not included in webOS devices and requires a third-party app such as CompanionLink or Pocketmirror. Pocketmirror works only with Outlook, but CompanionLink supports many differing platforms.

If your email program on your desktop synchs with an online service that is already supported with webOS, third-party software is unnecessary.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by krazgjcc View Post
    how can you get 2.1 for pixi?
    I'm guessing you're on Sprint. Thankfully there is a way to get it. Be sure to thank nuttybunny because he did the experiments on his pixis and spent valuable tie on getting this mostly working. He even found out how to txt.
    Here's the link:
    This is it. webOS 2.1 on *your* Pixi Plus GSM | The NuttyBunny

But remember, if anything wrong happens there won't be any help so you'll have to doctor back to 1.4.5
    Nope, I'm on Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by krazgjcc View Post
    Nope, I'm on Verizon
    Yea you should probably get a pre 2 unless you're on a budget. The 2.1 hack for the pixi has fewer features than the pres with 2.1 phones. If you can, you should get a pre plus.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    I've had a Treo 755p since Jan '08, and had a Visor for 5 years before that, so I'm addicted to Palm stuff. I'm looking at whatever might replace the Treo, tho' it's still working well.

I'm a graphic designer working on a Mac, and don't rely on Microsoft programs at all. I'd hate to be forced into using them. Regardless the program, does the 'old' calendar transfer seamlessly to the 'new' calendar?

Thanks!
    Don't. The build quality is abysmal. Changed my son's 3 times in 9 mo. Replaced it with a veer who's build quality is light years better.
    Rubenstein may be an OS genius but could not build a decent phone including the treo pro.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    Don't. The build quality is abysmal. Changed my son's 3 times in 9 mo. Replaced it with a veer who's build quality is light years better.
    You do realize we are talking about the Pixi and not the Pre, right? I find the Pixi's build quality to be superb.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Pixi is not a bad phone at all i have dropped mine at least 50 times, and nothing ever happens to it. I like the form factor. but yes its old hardware and is not getting updated software. i deal with it for now, but since i know there is no more webos phones, im really thinking of goin for the black berry bold 9930, played with one the other day its pretty nice. and it actually allows me to swipe up on touchscreen to open launcher like webos.

I really wish HP made a super pixi of some sort. A portrait qwerty like the pixi but slightly larger with a larger screen and keyboard it would have been the perfect webos phone.
    Is the Palm Pixi Plus a different animal altogether?
    The only difference with the plus is the addition of a WiFi radio board. Other than that, they are identical. It is possible to turn a regular Pixi into a Pixi Plus, as I have done it with my Sprint Pixi using a donor Verizon Pixi Plus with a bad ESN I bought for dirt cheap off eBay.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  13.    #13  
    Just to expand - I'm considering the Pixi Plus to replace my Treo 755p, but not immediately. I own a business, and I'm looking for a real phone, not a toy. I don't want to have to use Microsoft products, and I have rejected most phones for that reason. I think the iPhone is great, but it too has its limitations.

The Pixi Plus is a comparable size to the Treo; I don't want anything smaller if I can help it. The keyboard is exposed like the Treo, and that's scores points. I'm always hearing from friends complaining that their keyboard slides break.

* GTAFan - I'm on Verizon, but it doesn't matter. What's 2.1?

* Syndil - I don't subscribe to those online services, I want to sync with my desktop. I like how the Palm system works, and I shudder to think that I'll have to depend on anything from MS.

* krazgjcc - it looks like you've hijacked my thread, and I have no idea what you're asking.

* doctj - what is "build quality"? The Veer is incredibly small, and I want something with substance. Plus there's that creepy guy they're using to advertise it.

* Maestro1 - the Pixi Plus is based on HP's WebOS AND has WiFi capability. Another feature that scores big with me.
    Just to expand - I'm considering the Pixi Plus to replace my Treo 755p, but not immediately. I own a business, and I'm looking for a real phone, not a toy. I don't want to have to use Microsoft products, and I have rejected most phones for that reason. I think the iPhone is great, but it too has its limitations.

The Pixi Plus is a comparable size to the Treo; I don't want anything smaller if I can help it. The keyboard is exposed like the Treo, and that's scores points. I'm always hearing from friends complaining that their keyboard slides break.

* GTAFan - I'm on Verizon, but it doesn't matter. What's 2.1?
    2.1? What I meant was the OS version 2.1. It's possible to put it on a CDMA pixi (Thanks to Nuttybunny and a few others). And what the other person probably meant for the build quality is how the rubber casing peels off aftertime so I'd recommend you buy a case for your pixi so that the real rubber doesn't peel as fast.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    You do realize we are talking about the Pixi and not the Pre, right? I find the Pixi's build quality to be superb.
    Yes, I am talking about the Pixi.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

* doctj - what is "build quality"? The Veer is incredibly small, and I want something with substance. Plus there's that creepy guy they're using to advertise it.
    The Pixi's screen is of poor quality while the veer has gorilla glass. Pixi also has that crack prone plastic that Rubinstein loves for some reason. The removable back/battery cover loses it's firmness fairly quickly. Veer is small but it's higher quality hardware than the pre/pre+ and pixi combined, plus it can do flash. The overall dimensions are smaller but the keyboard and screen are the same size as the pixi.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    I've had my Pixi over a year, and dropped it at least a 30-40 times, it's still going strong. Great keyboard, but lacking the strength to make it as fast as I'd like.
    HP/PALM is no longer supporting any phones
    You dont want to buy anything from HP

The closest thing I have been able to find to a TREO is the Motorola Droid Pro/ XPRT
  19.    #19  
    Ronald6000 - by selling them HP is saying that they will continue to support their phones. Warranties, both written and implied, are binding.

As for the DROID, I want a real phone, not a toy.
    I guess you're using iCal and OS X Address Book? There is no easy way to sync these directly with your webOS device unfortunately. With webOS it's nothing like the old PalmOS way; sad but true.

You could check out Missing Sync
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast