1.    #1  
    I have a Palm Pixi Plus and I want to get a new phone. I really like webOS and now find Android and iOS a bit unnatural to use. (Also got tissue stuck in my headphone jack today - bummer!)

So, living in the UK, I only have access to the Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2 and Pre 3. Obviously, unless I want to part with a LOT of cash, the Pre 3 is a non-starter and the original Pre sounds too troublesome and is getting on a bit now.

So... is there really that bigger difference between the Plus and 2. I can get the Plus for considerably less for the 2, and slightly prefer the design. However the 2 is newer, unlocked and runs webOS 2 (never know might get SMS sharing!!!!).

Considering webOS is now on the path to death and therefore I want to be making sure I'm sensible with my phone choice and not spending too much money, which phone would you suggest? I mainly use my phone for texting, listening to podcasts, youtube, a bit of web browsing and one or two apps that act as a front end for a website.

Cheers
    Last edited by tinnedfood; 09/04/2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: spelling error
    I would get a veer. I think there are some on Ebay and Amazon for like $100 without a contract.
    My Pixi *Plus* can handle the "new features" of WebOS 2

Your 2.1 Pixi is only 15 minutes away: http://nuttybunny.wordpress.com/2011...pixi-plus-gsm/
    Veer or Pre2 FTW
  4.    #4  
    I would love white Veer so much! TTS with my TouchPad (isn't there an update coming?) and I love the size of the Veer, too. However, I live in the UK so that would mean getting one from eBay, getting it shipped, paying import tax and then finally unlocking the phone. (would this whole process even be legal to get a Veer to work in the UK). Anyone have a Veer in the UK?

Otherwise it will be the Pre2.

Thanks too
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I bought a Veer at Ebay at the beginning of August. Before the pricedrops, so I paid about $255 / 180 euro. At the moment you can get them cheaper.

I paid about $11 for shipping and no import taxes. So I was lucky. Not every foreign package is checked by customs. Mind you that I'm not in the UK, but I don't think there's a big difference in how things are handled.

I don't see why it would be illegal to use in the UK, since you paid for it. You will have to unlock it first with digital unlock, or get an unlocked one. But then it shouldn't be activated in the US because you will have the US App Catalog. You don't have any paid apps then. You can read how to do things in other topics on PreCentral.
  6.    #6  
    Cheers!

I just meant frequencies etc. Apps are too big of an issue. I'll be rocking HP's proposed small phone plus tablet concept but I'll make sure to get it activated in the UK! I'm raising the funds for my new phone now - really want the white Veer now! If I do get it in the UK and have it unlocked etc, when there are updates to the OS, will i still be able to get them?
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    GSM frequencies will not be a problem. I checked this website: GSM World Coverage Map- GSM Country List by frequency bands
    It says UK uses 900 and 1800, just like The Netherlands.

HP Veer can use:

HSDPA Cat 10/HSUPA Cat 6; Quad-band GSM/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 GSM/GPRS/EDGE

I'm not certain about updates for WebOS, but I hope we will be able to get them. Maybe someone else can answer this, since this is my first WebOS device.
  8.    #8  
    That map reads the UK as having a 2100MHz as the 3G frequency. Does this mean no 3G on the Veer?
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tinnedfood View Post
    That map reads the UK as having a 2100MHz as the 3G frequency. Does this mean no 3G on the Veer?
    Seems like my previous information isn't complete. If you check HP Veer 4G Smartphone | HP® Official Site | U.S.
    you will see 2100 MHz as well:

HSDPA Cat 10/HSUPA Cat 61
    Tri band UMTS: 850/1900/2100
    Quad-band GSM/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE

I do have 3G reception with my Veer in The Netherlands.
  10.    #10  
    Yay! So it's legal, cheap and it works! So getting the white one when I get funds! Thank you so much for your help!
  11.    #11  
    But one very last question: is the plug a standard Palm one where I can just switch out the plug part?
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tinnedfood View Post
    But one very last question: is the plug a standard Palm one where I can just switch out the plug part?
    Hi tinnedfood. I don't mind to help you, but if you had done a little research before intending to buy the Veer you would know it doesn't have a standard Palm connector.

See for yourself: Hands-on with HP Veer's funky headphone adapter and clever charging plug | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net

Or here:

It can also charge on a touchstone if you have one already for the Pixi. The US package of the Veer comes without a touchstone, but the German version (QWERTZ keyboard) includes a touchstone.
    I have a US Veer, so no touchstone, but I got one from Ebay.

I don't know if it's clear in the video or the unboxing, but the other end of the cable is a USB connector wich goes in a US powerconnector. I first used a EU iPhone connector, but the touchscreen got cracy while charging. Then I used the HP/Palm US connector with an adapter and it was working fine.
    Last edited by Jozz; 09/06/2011 at 03:57 AM. Reason: added more info concerning USB cable
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozz View Post
    Hi tinnedfood. I don't mind to help you, but if you had done a little research before intending to buy the Veer you would know it doesn't have a standard Palm connector.

See for yourself: Hands-on with HP Veer's funky headphone adapter and clever charging plug | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net

Or here:

It can also charge on a touchstone if you have one already for the Pixi. The US package of the Veer comes without a touchstone, but the German version (QWERTZ keyboard) includes a touchstone.
    I have a US Veer, so no touchstone, but I got one from Ebay.

I don't know if it's clear in the video or the unboxing, but the other end of the cable is a USB connector wich goes in a US powerconnector. I first used a EU iPhone connector, but the touchscreen got cracy while charging. Then I used the HP/Palm US connector with an adapter and it was working fine.
    Thanks for your help. I didn't really intend to start of buying the Veer, but after comments in this post I have been a lot more interested in doing so. All I meant was the actual unit you plug in the wall as it hard to find information on this as most articles focus on the magnetic thing on the other end. Thanks for clarifying everything! Cheers . Hope you enjoy you Veer!
    n/m/ answered my question
    Last edited by woosh; 10/16/2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: update