Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Hi. I just got my first WebOS device, a Palm Pixi plus on Verizon. Prior to this I had a Moto Q that worked well for me. I have a question about this phone.

1. On my Moto Q if I got a text message, missed call or voicemail it would give an audible beep every so often to remind me. This is especially useful when the screen is off. Can I get the Pixi Plus to do this? Or does it only have the flashing light for text messages and voicemail?

2. I don't really care for the ringtones that came with the phone. Where can I find a "standard" phone style ringtone? Was surprised that the Pixi Plus only came with the old fashion telephone ringer from 30 years ago.

thx
    Quote Originally Posted by len5 View Post
    Hi. I just got my first WebOS device, a Palm Pixi plus on Verizon. Prior to this I had a Moto Q that worked well for me. I have a question about this phone.

1. On my Moto Q if I got a text message, missed call or voicemail it would give an audible beep every so often to remind me. This is especially useful when the screen is off. Can I get the Pixi Plus to do this? Or does it only have the flashing light for text messages and voicemail?

2. I don't really care for the ringtones that came with the phone. Where can I find a "standard" phone style ringtone? Was surprised that the Pixi Plus only came with the old fashion telephone ringer from 30 years ago.

thx
    The Pixi has blink notifications, so if a notification came in and it was in stand by mode, the gesture area would blink. And you can put any mp3 on the ringtone. Just put the Pixi in USB and then put your favorite ringtone in the ringtone folder.
    My Pixi *Plus* can handle the "new features" of WebOS 2

Your 2.1 Pixi is only 15 minutes away: http://nuttybunny.wordpress.com/2011...pixi-plus-gsm/
    Quote Originally Posted by len5 View Post

thx
    Welcome! I too went from a Motorola Q to a Palm Pixi, nearly a year ago. Even so, we're both what most people here at Precentral would call newcomers to webOS. While there are definitely some things that I still miss about my Motorola Q (loved that phone), I have grown to really appreciate the Pixi and don't see myself abandoning it until I am forced to.

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, there is a way to do this. There is a patch available via Preware that will allow you to set notifications to repeat. What the hell is Preware, you say? Preware allows you to install homebrew patches and applications. Patches, to put it in a nutshell, are the webOS equivalent of the registry editing you are probably used to doing on the Q. When you want to customize or modify how the phone works, you do it with a patch. Anyway, here's the instructions for installing Preware:

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

Once you get it loaded, search for a patch called "Notification repeat" and install it, and you're all set. Note that there are several versions of the patch, one for each type of notifcation: missed call, event reminder, email, etc. Pick and choose whichever ones you want.

2) This was one of my first problems with the Pixi as well. I'm not sure if it's just webOS or if it's just the state of smartphones these days, but MIDI is not supported. I had loads of MIDI ringers on my Q (like 50 or so!), and many of them were standard phone sounds. Useless on the Pixi, since it only supports MP3 ringers. So you'll just have to find a suitable MP3 ringer that you like and load it onto the phone.

That should answer your questions. Once you get that done, I'm sure you'll want to browse the patches on Preware and see if there are any other customizations you would like to install. I've got 13 patches running on mine.

Also, if you have not done it yet, purchase a Touchstone and a Touchstone back!! No excuses here, as they are freakin' dirt cheap. I've got two Touchstones at home and one in my car, and honestly, I can't imagine a phone without inductive charging any more. Wires? Please. This is 2011!

You can find the Touchstone on Verizon Wireless' website for $5 each (includes free overnight shipping). They don't come with wall chargers, so you'll need to get a few of those too, which can be found on Amazon for $3.50 shipped. Verizon also used to sell the Pixi Touchstone back cover for dirt cheap, but they are out of stock now. A bit harder to find a good deal on them, but they can still be found for under $10 if you look. Might check Sears.com on that. Amazon sells them for $10 with free shipping, if the total order is over $25.
    Last edited by Syndil; 08/28/2011 at 12:47 AM.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    MIDI ringtones can be converted to MP3s, just Google “MIDI to MP3” to find a converter.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Ringtones, MP3s, Wallpapers, Videos and more from Myxer.com set up an account, download whatever ringtone you want, hook your phone up in usb mode and load it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by regor View Post
    MIDI ringtones can be converted to MP3s, just Google “MIDI to MP3” to find a converter.
    It's an alternative, but it's not the same. With MIDI, the tones are generated by the phone itself. A MIDI file is like a piece of music and tells the phone what to play. Or you could think of it like a piano roll, and the phone is the player piano.

MIDI just sounds better IMO. At least it did on my Q. Can't say on the Pixi since it doesn't support MIDI. The MP3 playback on the Pixi isn't really bad, so I'm definitely nitpicking here, but even the built-in alert tones sound like MP3s. They have just a tad of that AM radio sound to them, that little bit of distance to them that gives them away as compressed digital audio.

But it's a phone not a Hi-Fi. :P Still, no reason it shouldn't support MIDI IMO. I guess MIDI is just too old-school to be "in" any more.
    Last edited by Syndil; 08/30/2011 at 02:59 PM.
    Touchscreens are a fad.