Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    All

If you want to have some more fun with your pixi, go follow the steps here...

DebianChroot - WebOS Internals

and install Debian on your pixi! In a quick test I ran sunspider in the stock browser (OC'd to 806mhz) and in Chromium browser through Debian, and my speed was doubled!!

I am also able to set up VPN connections, use Remote Desktop, and run java .jar files all from within Debian. So give it a shot and report back.

Thanks,
    Pez
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mivoligo and Tokarev like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by pezman726 View Post
    All

If you want to have some more fun with your pixi, go follow the steps here...

and install Debian on your pixi! In a quick test I ran sunspider in the stock browser (OC'd to 806mhz) and in Chromium browser through Debian, and my speed was doubled!!

I am also able to set up VPN connections, use Remote Desktop, and run java .jar files all from within Debian. So give it a shot and report back.

Thanks,
    Pez
    Do you think it will work on 2.1? I am going to try this right now.

UPDATE: It will not work on 2.1 because you need to meta-doctor...

UDPATE: Nvm, you need a terminal, and in 2.1 (at least for us Pixi users), we dont have a terminal.

Nice, I added the feed and you did this? I'm trying to install it right now

UPDATE: Can't I just add the iso or the image file on the usb drive?
    Last edited by palmlover123; 08/27/2011 at 03:13 PM.
    My Pixi *Plus* can handle the "new features" of WebOS 2

Your 2.1 Pixi is only 15 minutes away: http://nuttybunny.wordpress.com/2011...pixi-plus-gsm/
    74sickness likes this.
  3.    #3  
    talk to nb about the partitioning. You can use the image...sometimes the extracting of the filesystem doesn't work right, so you need to do it multiple times. There's an app just called terminal in preware by webos internals.

also xecutah + xserver + xterm = terminal
    Ok, it installed( I installed both Ubuntu and Debian). I have no clue how to partition a webos device. The meta doctor does that....but i would have to be on 1.4.5 or we would have to create a custom doctor. I am installing the xterm stuff right now. And terminus doesn't work for our 2.1 Pixis.

talk to nb about the partitioning. You can use the image...sometimes the extracting of the filesystem doesn't work right, so you need to do it multiple times. There's an app just called terminal in preware by webos internals.

also xecutah + xserver + xterm = terminal
  5.    #5  
    follow steps to create and mount .img file. Only install debian. Ubuntu doesn't work for armv6, which is why I did the debian. If the install doesn't extract properly, you can find the .tgz file and manually extract to the location, using xterm
    follow steps to create and mount .img file. Only install debian. Ubuntu doesn't work for armv6, which is why I did the debian. If the install doesn't extract properly, you can find the .tgz file and manually extract to the location, using xterm
    Ok, all I have to do is do the steps on

Right? I will be doing those steps in XTerm.

dd if=/dev/zero of=debian.img bs=1024 count=
    dd:invalid number

Ok, now I did this:

dd if=/dev/zero of=debian.img bs=1024 count=1048576
    And the cursor isn't doing anything.

UPDATE: I went to /media/cryptofs. Turns out their was a img file. I am going to wait like 20 minutes to let it finish.
    Last edited by palmlover123; 08/27/2011 at 05:46 PM.

Your 2.1 Pixi is only 15 minutes away: http://nuttybunny.wordpress.com/2011...pixi-plus-gsm/
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    How useful is chrome? faster then the stock browser?
    I did it!!!!!!! Time to install the Debian thing from Preware! Will let you know how it goes

UPDATE: It is done transferring, I think it is installing now..
    Last edited by palmlover123; 08/27/2011 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by palmlover123 View Post
    I did it!!!!!!! Time to install the Debian thing from Preware! Will let you know how it goes

UPDATE: It is done transferring, I think it is installing now..
    Here's what I get.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10.    #10  
    I fixed the wiki to show the number that was omitted...dunno how I misse d that. Few things...you started executah, then xserver, then debian, correct? The install finished fully through preware? And if you navigate to the ext3fs folder (using whatever method) you see a full filesystem? I have not had this happen to me, but I am on a repartitioned device.
    I fixed the wiki to show the number that was omitted...dunno how I misse d that. Few things...you started executah, then xserver, then debian, correct? The install finished fully through preware? And if you navigate to the ext3fs folder (using whatever method) you see a full filesystem? I have not had this happen to me, but I am on a repartitioned device.
    I figured it out, but it is not letting me launch XTerm via Xectuah...

12.    #12  
    you figured what out? Can you launch the debian chroot? You have all the packages, correct. xecutah, xserver, and xterm?
    Last edited by pezman726; 08/28/2011 at 10:31 AM.
    you figured what out? Can you launch the debian chroot? You have all the packages, correct. xecutah, xserver, and xterm?
    I figured out how to debian chroot, but it is not letting me launch XTerm via Xectuah. I have all the packages. Should I reinstall?

UPDATE: There is a update for Serve in Preware, let me see if that has anything to do with it.

UPDATE 2: Yep, that was the problem. Time to mount the iso and play around with debian.

If you get an error chrooting to the Debian installation If you get an error that says "chroot: cannot execute /opt/bin/bash:" you will need to perform the following, with the image still mounted:
    cd /media/cf/opt
    mkdir bin
    cp /media/cf/bin/bash /media/cf/opt/bin
    cd /
    chroot /media/cf

sh:cd can't cd to /media/cf/opt

Ok, I copied over the "bin" and the "opt" directory. I get this error:

chroot /media/cf
    chroot: can't excute bin:sh
    (something like that)
    Last edited by palmlover123; 08/28/2011 at 02:07 PM.
  14.    #14  
    can you (using internalz or xterm) navigate to the folder /media/ext3fs/debian-squeeze-chroot and see what is in there.

if all else fails, scrap that .img you created, uninstall debian, and start over.

good luck,
    pez
    can you (using internalz or xterm) navigate to the folder /media/ext3fs/debian-squeeze-chroot and see what is in there.

if all else fails, scrap that .img you created, uninstall debian, and start over.

good luck,
    pez
    Yea, there is a lost+found and usr. I just can't run those commands

like:

mkdir bin

Whenever I run that command it says that bin is already there or something like that..

16.    #16  
    if all you see is those 2 directories it didn't install properly. Uninstall and reinstall the debian package from preware. If that still doesn't work, extract the .tgz file from media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.debian-squeeze-chroot to media/ext3fs/debian-squeeze-chroot (or extract it somewhere and copy all the files there.
    Just curious, which is faster (usably fast) on a Pre 2, Debian or Ubuntu? Advantages and disadvantages? This coming from a Linux noob. (Pezman if you don't want this cluttering up your thread I'll start a new one)
  18.    #18  
    honestly, I don't know. Debian has more ARM compiled packages though. The real reason I made the debian chroot was because I partitioned my pixi, only to find out I couldn't run ubuntu because it was compiled for armv7 and not armv6. Debian is compiled for both, so I used it. You should ask that question in the webos-internals forum on the x-server thread. There might be someone that can answer that better for you.

Thanks,
    pez
    Here's an update from 2.1:

It will not work on 2.1. It is installed, but it will not launch. I have tried everything..

20.    #20  
    again, are all of the folders in your ext3fs folder, and the .img loop mounted to the ext3fs folder?? There is no reason this should not work in 2.1, as it works on my 1.4.5 pixi and my 3.0.2 touchpad.

there is an issue with properly extracting the .tgz file in the application on the pixi when using a .img file. If you do not have bin through var folders, it didn't extract properly and you'll need to manually do it.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast