Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #141  
    debian installed (otherwise it wouldn't show up in executah) remake the image, mount it, navigate to ext3fs,

mkdir debian-squeeze-chroot
    cd debian-squeeze-chroot
    tar -xzf /media/cryptofs/...(that long location I posted earlier) and you should be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by pezman726 View Post
    debian installed (otherwise it wouldn't show up in executah) remake the image, mount it, navigate to ext3fs,

mkdir debian-squeeze-chroot
    cd debian-squeeze-chroot
    tar -xzf /media/cryptofs/...(that long location I posted earlier) and you should be good.
    Pez,
    What exactly do mean "remake the image"? rm it and re-create? Sorry to be so daft, but I want to be sure I understand exactly what you mean.
    Thx,
    Shneor
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  3.    #143  
    if your image is messed up, delete the .img file, and start from scratch with it. But you won't need to reinstall debian, because to the OS it is already there. Just untar the file I said to the directory.
    if your image is messed up, delete the .img file, and start from scratch with it. But you won't need to reinstall debian, because to the OS it is already there. Just untar the file I said to the directory.
    I deleted debian.img using internalz, then started up Xserver and Xterm. cd'd to /media/cryptofs. My Pixi has been on step dd if=/dev/zero of=debian.img bs=1024 count=1572864 for over 20 minutes now (same size I used the first time). My Pixi is not hung, but it's taking longer than I remember.
    OK, took 40 minutes; I did the next step, then when it finished writing inodes and superuser blocks I tried to mount debian.img (using the original command). It gave me a resource busy error. I went to internalz; I have a debian.img file with zero bytes and a .fuse_hidden0000023... file with 1.5 gb in it. Should I copy the .fuse file to debian.img? Or rename it and delete the debian.ing file?? ext3fs is still empty.
    Shneor
    Last edited by shneor; 09/26/2011 at 05:35 PM.
    Shneor
  5.    #145  
    if you didn't reset luna just before, you may have some stuff stuck in memory, which might make it run a little slower.
    if you didn't reset luna just before, you may have some stuff stuck in memory, which might make it run a little slower.
    Pez,
    Please see edited version of my post.
    I then rebooted, and the .fuse file has disappeared. I now have 5gb of free space (instead of 3.5). I have a debian.img file of 0 bytes. Should I erase it and try again?
    Thx,
    Shneor
    Last edited by shneor; 09/26/2011 at 05:54 PM.
    Shneor
  7.    #147  
    I have no clue!!! Go ahead and delete both of them...make another img...call it debian2.img or something other than debian.img (the name doesn't really matter as long as you get it mounted right!

again...no clue, as I have a partition! When you did it last time, was the img 1.5gb, or does it dynamically size with what you put in it?
    Last edited by pezman726; 09/26/2011 at 06:27 PM.
    I have no clue!!! Go ahead and delete both of them...make another img...call it debian2.img or something other than debian.img (the name doesn't really matter as long as you get it mounted right!

again...no clue, as I have a partition! When you did it last time, was the img 1.5gb, or does it dynamically size with what you put in it?
    Finally got Debian reinstalled, copied the file to the root directory, but every time I try to run it (as root) I get pages of errors and it won't run. Most of the errors say "no such file or directory" (and this file is in my root directory) - can't recover and exits.

Just for the record, I had to edit fstab, then remove and reinstall debian chroot to get it to work.

Thx, Shneor
    Last edited by shneor; 09/26/2011 at 08:52 PM.
    Shneor
  9.    #149  
    what file is in your root dir? You should have the extracted directories in your debian-squeeze-chroot directory. You shouldn't be getting errors!
    Pez,
    I copied the tar file to me debian squeeze root directory. I then ran the tar cmd you sent me. I called my img file debian1.img
    Anything make sense for the errors?
    Thx,
    Shneor
  11.    #151  
    so you untared it, and you've got all your directories in the chroot folder? Did you check to see if the files it is complaining about exist? What files is it complaining about?
    so you untared it, and you've got all your directories in the chroot folder? Did you check to see if the files it is complaining about exist? What files is it complaining about?
    Sorry to take so long getting back to you. I picked up a touchpad yesterday evening and I have been busy with it.

Here's what I'm typing: tar -xzfv ubuntuconf.tar.gz

Here are the errors:
    tar: (child): v: cannot open: no such file or directory
    tar: (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    Tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

I'm running tar as root; the file is located in the root directory of debian squeeze. Permissions on the file look like they should.

Also, tried sudo - got a command not found.

Thx,
    Shneor
    Last edited by shneor; 09/27/2011 at 02:04 PM.
    Shneor
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    Sorry to take so long getting back to you. I picked up a touchpad yesterday evening and I have been busy with it.

Here's what I'm typing: tar -xzfv ubuntuconf.tar.gz

Here are the errors:
    tar: (child): v: cannot open: no such file or directory
    tar: (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    Tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

I'm running tar as root; the file is located in the root directory of debian squeeze. Permissions on the file look like they should.

Also, tried sudo - got a command not found.

Thx,
    Shneor
    I installed sudo, than added a non-root userid to the sudoers list. Still came back with a "not on the list" error. Maybe I just need to restart.
    Nope - still says my userid is not in the list. But I added it, using a # in front of the id. Same permissions as root (ALL=(ALL) ALL). I sure don't know the sudo grammar.
    Last edited by shneor; 09/27/2011 at 04:41 PM.
    Shneor
  14.    #154  
    just try tar -xzf see if that works looks like it was complaining about the v.

and as for sudo.... When you get xfce4 installed, instead of typing in

"apt-get install <blah>"
    you type in
    "sudo apt-get install <blah>"

That is all you need to know about sudo!
    Last edited by pezman726; 09/28/2011 at 06:07 AM.
    just try tar -xzf see if that works looks like it was complaining about the v.

and as for sudo.... When you get xfce4 installed, instead of typing in

"apt-get install <blah>"
    you type in
    "sudo apt-get install <blah>"

That is all you need to know about sudo!
    I must have tried this a dozen times. Nothing happens, the prompt comes right back. Running as root, as there's no way I can sudo. I know this was meant as a shortcut for me. Maybe I could do it manually?
    Thx,
    Shneor
    Shneor
  16.    #156  
    you don't have to sudo until you install xfce4 and have it running as a user.
    Problem is that tar does not work; can I do it manually? I know it will take time.
    Thx,
    Shneor
    Shneor
  18.    #158  
    what error do you get with tar -xzf ??

did you try it in xterm and terminal, or throug novaterm attached to a computer?
    what error do you get with tar -xzf ??

did you try it in xterm and terminal, or throug novaterm attached to a computer?
    xecutah-xterm-terminal. I have not used novaterm or putty. No error message, just a return prompt. All spelled exactly as directed.
    Shneor
  20.    #160  
    sounds like it extracted to me. Do an ls is there a new directory called ubuntuconf?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast