Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    It is impossible to get anywhere with Chromium, it just sticks to Debian and it's impossible to tap with a finger and be accurate. Every time I try to use the enter key to get to a diggerent url, it changes the url bar back to debian. And it opens more windows, when I don't want any. I hate this browser, I'm trying to get Opera.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  2.    #82  
    good luck! If you get opera to work, please let me know! What would really be great would be a more "touch friendly" browser, with proper scrolling implemented!

I think I've almost got a nice way to get xfce4 to work using some scripting. I'll see in about an hour after all this stuff is done installing!

edit....hey, now i have opera mini running on my pixi! :-D woohoo! XFCE4 is running a bit slow...so i might consider throwing lxde on it sometime.. but it's working!

I haven't gone through all the steps...but if you go here..

http://helpforlinux.blogspot.com/200...in-ubuntu.html

You can at least get the emulator, and download the .jad and .jar files from opera's website to get it running!
    Last edited by pezman726; 09/16/2011 at 03:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pezman726 View Post
    palmlover123, any luck with 2.0?
    I'm going to mount the image prior to installing it. Will report back shorty.

It is still on the 2nd step, which is dd step.

Past the dd step, onto the next step.

Ok, its mounted and everything, now time to install

UPDATE: I still get the /sbin/inictl error. Me thinks that since this a pre-release version of 2.1, they didn't finish everything. But seriously, could someone else step in and try this on 2.1, to make sure this isn't just me?

Oh and does debian run good? And could somebody take a screenshot of debian, I want to know if it looks good the the small screen. I would definitely meta-doctor back to 1.4.5 if this runs good.
    Last edited by palmlover123; 09/16/2011 at 05:37 PM.
    My Pixi *Plus* can handle the "new features" of WebOS 2

Your 2.1 Pixi is only 15 minutes away: http://nuttybunny.wordpress.com/2011...pixi-plus-gsm/
    I can't imagine trying to run an environment like LXDE or XFCE in such a small screen. Has anyone tried running Angstrom OPIE, GPE, or Matchbox as a graphical environment instead? And does anybody have a way to deal with dialog boxes when they're bigger than the screen? Something like holding Opt+M to move the box up, Opt+. for down, etc...
  5.    #85  
    I haven't tried any of the others...because I didn't know about them!

palmlover, the error you are getting is because you didn't get a full install. It has nothing to do with your os version. Check the directories...do you have an sbin directory in your debian-squeeze-chroot folder in ext3fs?
    I am going to copy over the /sbin folder to /media/ext3fs folder. Will report back shortly.

AHHHHHHHH, it didn't work...what file do I have to manually extract? And how is this speed wise? And does it look good on the small screen?

I haven't tried any of the others...because I didn't know about them!

palmlover, the error you are getting is because you didn't get a full install. It has nothing to do with your os version. Check the directories...do you have an sbin directory in your debian-squeeze-chroot folder in ext3fs?
    Last edited by palmlover123; 09/17/2011 at 11:13 AM.
    I uninstalled lxde and installed gpe. I could not find a way to start the environment, so uninstalled that. Tried to install opie, but no package was found. I've read some negative stuff about matchbox having keyboard problems, but I may try that anyway. later: matchbox won't install. So far only lxde works. Any more suggestions appreciated.
    Last edited by shneor; 09/17/2011 at 12:12 PM.
    Shneor
  8.    #88  
    palmlover123,

before doing this, make sure to mount your .img file if you haven't already done so.

1.) go to preware and download "terminal"
    2.) open terminal and type in

cd /media/ext3fs/debian-squeeze-chroot

4.) type

tar -zxf /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.debian-squeeze-chroot/debian-squeeze-chroot.tgz

5.) wait
    6.) verify you have lots of directories in your ext3fs folder.
    7.) launch executah -> xserver -> debian

good luck,
    pez
    palmlover123,

before doing this, make sure to mount your .img file if you haven't already done so.

1.) go to preware and download "terminal"
    2.) open terminal and type in

cd /media/ext3fs/debian-squeeze-chroot

4.) type

tar -zxf /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.debian-squeeze-chroot/debian-squeeze-chroot.tgz

5.) wait
    6.) verify you have lots of directories in your ext3fs folder.
    7.) launch executah -> xserver -> debian

good luck,
    pez
    Ok, I typed in terminal im preware, only sdlterminal showd up, since I have no clue what that was I did not install it. And since terminus does not work with our 2.1 Pixis', I am going to do the steps via Xterm. Will report back shortly. And there is no /media/ext3fs/debian-squeeze-chroot, Should I create a folder named that? In my ext3fs folder, there is lost+found and usr.

And just like magic, the debian squeeze folder is there..

Ok, I typed in the tar step, now it is time to wait until it is done to finish the other steps.

UPDATE: How long is the tar thing supposed to take?

UPDATE: Just realized that my phone frozed. I had to do a battery pull. Lets hope it finished.
    Last edited by palmlover123; 09/17/2011 at 03:25 PM.

Your 2.1 Pixi is only 15 minutes away: http://nuttybunny.wordpress.com/2011...pixi-plus-gsm/
  10.    #90  
    if that doesn't extract fully, the last resort would be to run that command from somewhere else (/media/internal/debian for example) and then move all the folders that were extracted to the proper folder in ext3fs.

update to your update...yeah, that happens sometimes...thats why I posted the above method. If it didn't fully extract...give it another go, and use the above as a last resort...as its kind of a pain!
    Last edited by pezman726; 09/17/2011 at 03:30 PM.
    if that doesn't extract fully, the last resort would be to run that command from somewhere else (/media/internal/debian for example) and then move all the folders that were extracted to the proper folder in ext3fs.
    For some odd reason, the only folder in /media/ext3fs is the sbin folder that I put there...

Then I mounted the image, then it only has usr and lost+found. I am going to extract it to /media/ext3fs then manually move it.

I typed in the long tar command, if this doesn't work, I am going to move the tar to /media/internal. Then extract to my computer and then do it from there.

UPDATE: It frooze again...

12.    #92  
    ok, wait. Go back and follow my instructions again. If you don't have the debian folder there type
    mkdir /media/ext3fs/debian-squeeze-chroot

navigate there and run the tar command.

MAKE SURE YOUR IMAGE IS MOUNTED.
    ok, wait. Go back and follow my instructions again. If you don't have the debian folder there type
    mkdir /media/ext3fs/debian-squeeze-chroot

navigate there and run the tar command.

MAKE SURE YOUR IMAGE IS MOUNTED.
    There is a folder, but it just keeps freezing whenever I run the command. If I manually extract it, I could just put in the correct folder and then launch it. And the image was mounted.

14.    #94  
    ok, don't extract to ext3fs, it'll keep freezing. Extract it to someplace that is not an image. I.e /media/internal/debian

you'll have to make that directory first obviously.
    ok, don't extract to ext3fs, it'll keep freezing. Extract it to someplace that is not an image. I.e /media/internal/debian

you'll have to make that directory first obviously.
    Ohhh, When I extracted the image via my computer(using winrar), it said that it was corrupted... And I will try that.

And I have to do this right?

mkdir /media/internal/debian

Then:

cd /media/internal/debian

Then:

Then I will run it via Xcutuah right?
    And I have the image mounted.
    Last edited by palmlover123; 09/18/2011 at 09:10 AM.

16.    #96  
    yes to all the commands, but once you have the files extracted, you will need to move the directories to the ext3fs/debian-squeeze-chroot folder

use internalz for that if you like.
    Last edited by pezman726; 09/17/2011 at 08:05 PM.
    yes to all the commands, but once you have the files extracted, you will need to move the directories to the ext3fs/debian-squeeze-chroot folder

use internalz for that if you like.
    It's doing the tar step!! But it keeps saying operation not permitted, then it just keeps going and going.

"Cannot create simlink to blah"

Blah meaning one of the files.

It just finished, but with errors: "Error exit delayed from previous errors".

I just looked in the debian folder, the only folders there are lost+found and usr. Are those the only folders I need?

18.    #98  
    can you connect to your pixi on windows or linux throug novaterm and run the tar command and give me the output?
    Last edited by pezman726; 09/18/2011 at 12:01 PM.
    So I installed icewm. Not quite a GUI, and the only browser that even comes up is still chromium (grrrr). Still hard to use as the drop down boxes still have text that's really too tiny for fingers. What's missing is a GUI running on Debian squeeze that's adapted for the size and characteristics of the Pixi+ touch screen.
    Last edited by shneor; 09/18/2011 at 02:14 PM. Reason: typo
    Shneor
    can you connect to your pixi on windows or linux throug novaterm and run the tar command and give me the output?
    Here. I think the image is corrupt becuase before when I connected it to my computer, when I was extracting, it said that it was corrupted.
    Attached Images Attached Images