Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Will open office for kids OOo4Kids run in Debian?

There is an ARM installation

http://ftp.educoo.org/home/OOo4Kids/...arm-O4K.tar.gz
  2.    #42  
    looks like the tgz didn't fully extract.

also remember, when it does work, all you will see is a terminal! You should see some chroot commands above it and be on root@palm-webos-device

-pez
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by NateTheGreat View Post
    Will open office for kids OOo4Kids run in Debian?
    gimmie a few minutes and I'll find out!
    Quote Originally Posted by pezman726 View Post
    looks like the tgz didn't fully extract.

also remember, when it does work, all you will see is a terminal! You should see some chroot commands above it and be on root@palm-webos-device

-pez
    So what should I do?
    My Pixi *Plus* can handle the "new features" of WebOS 2

Your 2.1 Pixi is only 15 minutes away: http://nuttybunny.wordpress.com/2011...pixi-plus-gsm/
    Thx!
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmlover123 View Post
    So what should I do?
    look up untar on google. Tar -zxf filename.tar but I don't remember how to put it to a specific directory
    I followed the directions exactly. I created a 1.5gb image for Debian, changed fstab (I used the Terminal program BTW to do all the Linux) to mount the device, but instead of a device, I get "none" when I type the mount command for the device I thought I had set up. My ext3fs directory seems to be empty. Any hint of what I might have done wrong and how to fix it?
    Thx.
    Shneor
    I allocated 1.5gb for the debian.img. I now have a debian.img file in /media/cryptofs of 1.5gb and an optware.ext3 file of 1.3gb in the same directory (I guess the optware.ext3 file is the population of the debian.img file). The mount command in my fstab is accurate, according to the directions.

Anyway, I'm at a total loss as to what to try next, either to roll back or continue.
    Any advice appreciated. Or maybe I just don't t understand the syntax of chroot. Palmlover? Pez?
    Thx.
    Last edited by shneor; 09/13/2011 at 02:43 PM.
    Shneor
    I have no clue. Try this command.

mount -o loop /media/cryptofs/debian.img /media/ext3fs

(All in one command)

Oh, and you can if you want to mount the other image, just change the name. And are you still on 1.4.5? Could you do 2.e and try this?
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    I allocated 1.5gb for the debian.img. I now have a debian.img file in /media/cryptofs of 1.5gb and an optware.ext3 file of 1.3gb in the same directory (I guess the optware.ext3 file is the population of the debian.img file). The mount command in my fstab is accurate, according to the directions.

Anyway, I'm at a total loss as to what to try next, either to roll back or continue.
    Any advice appreciated. Or maybe I just don't t understand the syntax of chroot. Palmlover? Pez?
    Thx.
    Thanks, Palmlover. It took the mount command OK, but there's nothing but a lost+found in ext3fs, I did a chroot /media/ext3fs but it came back with "cannot execute /bin/sh: no such file or directory". So it seems that the Debian I downloaded went nowhere - or at least, it's there taking up space but useless. When I do a df -kh it tells me that ext3fs is taking up 1.5mb (I guess because I set up debian.img as a disk image), but as I said, there's nothing there. Oh, I am on 1.4.5. Not sure I want to go to 2.x, and I know absolutely nothing about the "doctor".

I was a Unix system administrator 25 years ago, I need to find some manuals to read.

Thx again!
    Last edited by shneor; 09/13/2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Forgot to answer a question.
    Shneor
    OK, I finally looked at the Preware app, and it looks like Debian installed just fine. I used executah-Xserver-Xterm_Start Debian to get in. Now, how do I get out? Oh, just type exit. Great!! Thanks for all the help, I'm sure I'll ask for more, but in the meantime, I need to hit the manuals.
    Shneor
    I set up a user account using the adduser and passwd commands (don't want to mess around as root much), but I can't yet see how to make it ask me for a password - and I'm a little concerned at setting up a root password as there's a script I'd have to rewrite a bit (time,time, time!!!). Tried aptitude, but with cursor control it's hard to use a cursor. And what's the <ctrl> key? I can use edit, I think, with letter commands (wow, that takes me back more than 30 years). Anyone know where's a good list for packages like a GUI, how to add java files (c'mon Pez, you know this), and other useful items?

Thx!!
    Shneor
  13.    #53  
    apt-get install openjdk-6-jre will get you a java6 runtime. You can try synaptic for package management, but its still a bit difficult to use on the small screen. I've found lxde to work well as a windows manager
    apt-get install lxde

have fun

-pez
    Pez,
    Thanks for responding! I don't seem to have internet connectivity, I tried apt-get and it oculd not communicate, and ping went nowhere. How do I get internet started?
    Thx!!
    Update: Never mind, it's working now.
    Last edited by shneor; 09/14/2011 at 01:41 PM.
    Shneor
    I have the image mounted. But it is not launching..i get the /bin/sh error...
    New error

I get:

cannot execute /sbin/incitcl start org.webosinternals.debian.squeeze chroot

incitcl: unknown job
  17.    #57  
    steps...
    1.) mount image
    2.) install chroot
    3.) verify populated ext3fs folder
    4.) launch executah, xserver, debian
    5.) enjoy cake

another note, after you've installed some stuff, the install files stick around. So run apt-get clean to clear up some space!
    Even though my fstab entry for mounting debian reads exactly like the instructions (except that it says loop1) I still have to manually mount it every time. lxde is still installing again. Runtime Java already installed. Chrome or Opera will be next. But the installs do take significant time. Maybe I should overclock to the max.
    Shneor
    Palmlover, if I had to guess, I's say that you have to mount exxt3fs (with the command you gave me), then go back to executah and start debian chroot.
    Shneor
    Pez,
    Have you installed Skype for Debian? Check this out:
    Install Skype in Debian Linux | ITworld
    Shneor
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast