webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pixi and Pixi Plus > Pixi 2.1 Swap File
Pixi 2.1 Swap File
Like Tree1Likes

Old 08/26/2011, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
So does it make your pixi run much smoother than usual? My girlfriend has a Pixi on 1.4.5 and it's slow as *****. Suuuper super slow.. it's unbearable..

I even have custom kernels installed and it just lags as hell. I'm going to doctor it tonight and see if it'll help.
I think the Pixi can be overclocked....not on 2.1 though. 2.1 is smooth, you can't have more than like 3 cards open.

Wait, why is this #1 post...

Your 2.1 Pixi is only 15 minutes away: http://nuttybunny.wordpress.com/2011...pixi-plus-gsm/

Last edited by palmlover123; 08/26/2011 at 08:10 PM.
palmlover123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2011, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Guys, the swap thing is way to complicated. I did it, and it required that you know how to install optware and things. I think Pixi 2.1 Users should just crank the compache to 128 MB.

Oh, and I had no clue how to do this either. But with bassman97's help, I installed this. Then I decided to make a thread dedicated to the Swap Partition, so that people could do it and not go though all the trouble that I had to do.
WHEN YOU ARE DONE:
http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...rade_Pre_Minus
Install the patches at the end of the page.

BTW Guys: It's called the swap partition, not the swap file.

Well anyway here are the instructions( You can add them anytime to the thread Nutty :P) Also- I AM TELLING YOU WHAT WORKED FOR ME, IT MIGHT NOT WORK, IF IT DOESNT MOVE THE STUFF AROUND TO THE / DIRECTORY.

Just a little forewarning- I am not responsible for what happens to your phone. This worked for many people, as well as me. THIS REQUIRES TERMINAL KNOWLEDGE AND HOW TO CD INTO A DIRECTORY( And I wonder how you got 2.1 installed without knowing how to cd into a directory). Also you will need to run novaterm commands. If you feel not confident that you cannot do the commands, just stop right now, or continue( It's your phone, not mine). AND I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE, IT COULD EXPLODE IN YOUR FACE( it probably won't), NOT WORK, etc. But if it fails, it's time to visit the doctor.

1. Install Optware- The command line installer and the optware bootstrap( From Preware).

2. Install fatresize. Open your computer. You will need to connect your Pixi into the computer via USB mode.

I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, BE SURE TO HAVE THE HIDDEN FILES HIDDEN! FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN ALL OF APPS DELETED AND GONE FOR GOOD(Well, you either need to doctor or redo 2.1).

DELETE EVERYTHING OFF OF THE USB MODE, IF FAILURE TO DO SO, YOUR PHONE WILL EXPLODE. Oh, and then disconnect it and then put in just charge mode and then put it airplane mode. Then open up windows cmd/ubuntu terminal/mac terminal. Run novaterm. Then it should say like: Blah Blah Pixi@root or something like that. Then do "cd opt/bin" Then run ipkg-opt update. If it says that its an error, its ok. Then do "ipkg-opt install fatresize". Congrats, you have now installed fatresize!!!!! Now, if your Pixi has a 6.35 GB usb drive. Then we shall shrink it to 6GB, so we can have 350 MB for the swap. To find out how to do so, just connect your phone via USB, then find out how big it is. Just round it off to 6 GB, so lets say that your phone is 6.34GB, then you will shrink it by 340 MB.

3. Run the commands. Now, before we go on, THIS MIGHT CAUSE YOUR PHONE TO EXPLODE RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT GOES WRONG. Do these commands:

A.cd /opt/sbin/
B.resize fat -v /dev/store/media 6.0G
C.lvm lvreduce -L 6.0G /dev/store/media
D.lvm lvresize -L +350 /dev/store/swap (The 350 ONLY APPLIES if your phone had a 6.35 GB USB Drive, if it had a 6.36GB it would be 360 MB, and so on.)
E.swapoff /dev/store/swap
F.mkswap /dev/store/swap
G.swapon /dev/store/swap"
H. Reboot( i think it is /sbin/reboot, so type in "/sbin/reboot.), and don't worry if you can't do e-g, I couldn't and its working fine( And besides, the same steps from e through g are done at boot).

4. A thanks will always be appreciative :P, if you have any questions either post it in the thread or pm me. And was that so hard?

Your 2.1 Pixi is only 15 minutes away: http://nuttybunny.wordpress.com/2011...pixi-plus-gsm/

Last edited by palmlover123; 11/12/2011 at 11:06 AM.
Liked by 74sickness likes this.
Thanked By: 74sickness
Old 08/26/2011, 07:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

WOW you finally did it congratz will this work with cygwin and should i attempt it haha?
74sickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/26/2011, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74sickness View Post
WOW you finally did it congratz will this work with cygwin and should i attempt it haha?
Windows Cmd. Click Start- type "cmd" and then hit enter. Since you have knowledge about terminal, you should be fine.

Old 08/26/2011, 08:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

screw it way to lazy to do it haha :P
Old 08/26/2011, 08:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
screw it way to lazy to do it haha :P
haha, comp ache should be enough memory though. Just that when I had compache, when I would listen to music, I couldn't surf the web...Now I have a 350 MB swap file with 128 MB compache..

Old 08/26/2011, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

So does it make your pixi run much smoother than usual? My girlfriend has a Pixi on 1.4.5 and it's slow as *****. Suuuper super slow.. it's unbearable..

I even have custom kernels installed and it just lags as hell. I'm going to doctor it tonight and see if it'll help.
Old 08/26/2011, 08:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

You find a noticable difference in speed and smootness i might attempt it when im not waiting for my touchpad to show up and have nothing else better to do :$
Old 08/26/2011, 08:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
You find a noticable difference in speed and smootness i might attempt it when im not waiting for my touchpad to show up and have nothing else better to do :$
Lol, I am waiting for my TP too. My order on Amazon(Onsale) got cancelled. The customer support couldn't even speak english. Oh, and where did you order your TP....

Old 08/26/2011, 08:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmlover123 View Post
I think the Pixi can be overclocked....not on 2.1 though. 2.1 is smooth, you can't have more than like 3 cards open.

Wait, why is this #1 post...
I wish i can overclock 2.1 and yeah its awesome and yeah wtff??
Old 08/26/2011, 08:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
I wish i can overclock 2.1 and yeah its awesome and yeah wtff??
Where did you order your TP? HP.com says that it will have more in stock, but I can't trust HP right now.. I really want to OC my Pixi, but I would have to go to 1.4.5. Wait, can't we just change some lines of code or something like that? Or do we have to have a custom kernel?

Old 08/26/2011, 08:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

From the hp website.
Old 08/26/2011, 08:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
From the hp website.
Huh? Did you buy it during the first week? The next fire sale is about to happen. I ordered from probably like 5 different places, and then from all 5 different places my order was cancelled. Then came Onsale saying that they have 100,000 plus TP( I think, I believe I heard it somewhere), I buy one, then 3 days later: My order gets cancelled. HP.com is my last hope.

Old 08/26/2011, 09:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

I bought it befor the firesale and im just getting the price matched and try craigslist.
Old 08/29/2011, 06:16 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Guys, the swap thing is way to complicated. I did it, and it required that you know how to install optware and things. I think Pixi 2.1 Users should just crank the compache to 128 MB.

WHEN YOU ARE DONE:
[url]
Install the patches at the end of the page.

Well anyway here are the instructions( You can add them anytime to the thread Nutty :P) Also- I AM TELLING YOU WHAT WORKED FOR ME, IT MIGHT NOT WORK, IF IT DOESNT MOVE THE STUFF AROUND TO THE / DIRECTORY.

Just a little forewarning- I am not responsible for what happens to your phone. This worked for many users, as well as me. THIS REQUIRES TERMINAL KNOWLEDGE AND HOW TO CD INTO A DIRECTORY( And I wonder how you got 2.1 installed without knowing how to cd into a directory). Also you will need to run novaterm commands. If you feel not confident that you cannot do the commands, just stop right now, or continue( It's your phone, not mine). AND I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, THIS PROCESS SHOULD NOT BE DONE ON 1.4.5(why? because we haven't tested it yet). ALSO I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE, IT COULD EXPLODE IN YOUR FACE( it probably won't), NOT WORK, etc. But if it fails, it's time to visit the doctor.

1. Install Optware- The command line installer and the optware bootstrap.

2. Install fatresize. Open your computer. You will need to connect your Pixi into the computer via USB mode. DELETE EVERYTHING OFF OF THE USB MODE, IF FAILURE TO DO SO, YOUR PHONE WILL EXPLODE. Oh, and then disconnect it and then put in just charge mode and then put it airplane mode. Then open up windows cmd/ubuntu terminal/mac terminal. Run novaterm. Then it should say like: Blah Blah Pixi@root or something like that. Then do "cd opt/bin" Then run ipkg-opt update. If it says that its an error, its ok. Then do ipkg-opt install fatresize. Congrats, you have now installed fatresize!!!!! Now, if your Pixi has a 6.35 GB usb drive. Then we shall shrink it to 6GB, so we can have 350 MB for the swap. To find out how to do so, just connect your phone via USB, then find out how big it is. Just round it off to 6 GB, so lets say that your phone is 6.34GB, then you will shrink it by 340 MB.

3. Run the commands. Now, before we go on, THIS MIGHT CAUSE YOUR PHONE TO EXPLODE RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT GOES WRONG. Do these commands:

A.cd /opt/sbin/
B. resizefat -v /dev/store/media 6.0G
C.lvm lvreduce -L 6.0G /dev/store/media
D.lvm lvresize -L +412M /dev/store/swap
E.swapoff /dev/store/swap
F.mkswap /dev/store/sw
G.swapon /dev/store/swap"
H. Reboot, and don't worry if you can't do e-g, I couldn't and its working fine( And besides, the same steps from e through g are done at boot).

4. A thanks will always be appreciative :P, if you have any questions either post it in the thread or pm me. And was that so hard?
Palmlover, you're welcome for helping you through this/showing you how. Thanks though for posting it to all. Few things:

1. This has nothing to do with swap files. Swap files are files designed to work as swap. This has everything to do with swap partitions. Major difference.

2. This works on 1.4.5, since that's what I run.

3. Some problems with your code. You wrote that you are resizing media from 6.35 G to 6 G but then you increase the lvm for swap by 412 MB. Whatever is taken off of media needs to be added to swap so in this case, the number should be 350 MB, not 412 MB. There are major problems that can arise when you make a partition larger than the ma available memory. Smaller is fine but then you have wasted unused space. Please correct this so no one makes the same mistake. Just so everyone knows, the sizes can be anything. You can shrink media as much as you want, just add whatever you shrink media by to swap.
bassman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2011, 03:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

I can't edit the post on my phone(too long). But what else is it called? Isn't it called the swap file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
Palmlover, you're welcome for helping you through this/showing you how. Thanks though for posting it to all. Few things:

1. This has nothing to do with swap files. Swap files are files designed to work as swap. This has everything to do with swap partitions. Major difference.

2. This works on 1.4.5, since that's what I run.

3. Some problems with your code. You wrote that you are resizing media from 6.35 G to 6 G but then you increase the lvm for swap by 412 MB. Whatever is taken off of media needs to be added to swap so in this case, the number should be 350 MB, not 412 MB. There are major problems that can arise when you make a partition larger than the ma available memory. Smaller is fine but then you have wasted unused space. Please correct this so no one makes the same mistake. Just so everyone knows, the sizes can be anything. You can shrink media as much as you want, just add whatever you shrink media by to swap.
Old 08/29/2011, 05:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
I can't edit the post on my phone(too long). But what else is it called? Isn't it called the swap file?
Swap partition.
Old 08/30/2011, 09:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'm inclined to agree that most people should just set compcache to 128mb- I'm comfortable with terminal work and still managed to screw it up and lose all my installed applications three times :s
Compcache for me I think!
Old 08/30/2011, 04:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
I'm inclined to agree that most people should just set compcache to 128mb- I'm comfortable with terminal work and still managed to screw it up and lose all my installed applications three times :s
That happened to me once :P All my apps were deleted, I got a message that they would be restored. I had to redo 2.1

Last edited by palmlover123; 08/30/2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08/31/2011, 06:22 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
Problem is, the way compcache works, even the compcache devs said it sucked. With the newer versions, compcache now has no backing store and only functions as a second, high priority partition. This is far more efficient. Also, running that much compcache reduces device speed by taxing the weak processor (compressing and uncompressing takes processor power) and reduces the amount of speedy RAM available. By increasing swap, and using the sysctl.conf settings discussed in the Clearing Swap Memory thread in the Pre forums (or download the patch), you solve most of the memory problems. So far, I still can't see if a small compcache partition is helpful or not with a larger swap. But, as of now, I'm not running compcache and have not experienced memory problems due to the plentiful swap.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0