webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pixi and Pixi Plus > Pixi 2.1 Swap File
Pixi 2.1 Swap File
Like Tree1Likes

Old 11/11/2011, 01:35 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcbeaven View Post
thanks, very simple fix, that worked to install it, but now i run into this:

Palm Pixi bin # ipkg-opt install fatresize
Installing fatresize (1.0.2-1) to root...
Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op....0.2-1_arm.ipk
Installing parted (1.7.1-1) to root...
Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op....7.1-1_arm.ipk
Installing e2fslibs (1.41.14-1) to root...
Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op...1.14-1_arm.ipk
Configuring e2fslibs
Configuring fatresize
Configuring parted
Successfully terminated.
Palm Pixi bin # cd /opt/sbin/
Palm Pixi sbin # resizefat -v /dev/store/media 6.0G
/bin/sh: resizefat: not found

i don't understand how that works? it just installed
Palm Pixi sbin # fatresize -i /dev/store/media/
fatresize 1.0.2 (11/30/10)
Error: Could not stat device /dev/store/media/ - Not a directory.

thats the message i recieve when i try to grab the info of the drive from fatresize
mcbeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2011, 01:58 AM   #42 (permalink)

am i missing something? these directions just dont seem to do much of anything for me, i just run into an error at everystep, i can run terminal commands just fine, and i am following the direcitons exactly, i don't understand whats going on. I can't fatresize in the directory sbin, it says directory does not exist, as well as i just get the error invalid argument when trying to swapon and swapoff.
Old 11/12/2011, 12:08 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
am i missing something? these directions just dont seem to do much of anything for me, i just run into an error at everystep, i can run terminal commands just fine, and i am following the direcitons exactly, i don't understand whats going on. I can't fatresize in the directory sbin, it says directory does not exist, as well as i just get the error invalid argument when trying to swapon and swapoff.
Try the directory /opt/sbin instead of /sbin.

Your 2.1 Pixi is only 15 minutes away: http://nuttybunny.wordpress.com/2011...pixi-plus-gsm/
palmlover123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2011, 03:23 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmlover123 View Post
Try the directory /opt/sbin instead of /sbin.
sorry i didn't specify, i am in that directory or that is waht i am typing /opt/sbin and sorry i didnt mean to sound rude, i just feel a bit stupid at this point.
Old 11/13/2011, 03:23 AM   #45 (permalink)

i appreciate the help, btw. thanks for the responses and trying to help me out with this.
Old 11/13/2011, 08:14 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Palm Pixi sbin # fatresize -i /dev/store/media/
fatresize 1.0.2 (11/30/10)
Error: Could not stat device /dev/store/media/ - Not a directory.

thats the message i recieve when i try to grab the info of the drive from fatresize
Look in the Clearing Sway Memory thread in the Pre section. I posted how to do it there (it's towards the end). Essentially, after you install the optware packages, you must move all the associated files from the /opt directory to the / directory. This is because WebOS Internals made /opt a loopback on /media/internal so once you umount -a, /opt is gone.
bassman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: smcbeaven
Old 11/14/2011, 02:42 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
Look in the Clearing Sway Memory thread in the Pre section. I posted how to do it there (it's towards the end). Essentially, after you install the optware packages, you must move all the associated files from the /opt directory to the / directory. This is because WebOS Internals made /opt a loopback on /media/internal so once you umount -a, /opt is gone.
I think i got it to work, but how can i be sure, it still runs a little laggy, and i see everyone talking about reducing the compcache, the only way i was aware of doing so was with govanah, but it wont allow me to change the comcache in the app, is there another way, i can't seem to find any information on it. BTW, thanks so so so so much, i really appreciate all of the help, you have been very helpful, thanks for the hard work!
Old 11/14/2011, 02:44 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
I think i got it to work, but how can i be sure, it still runs a little laggy, and i see everyone talking about reducing the compcache, the only way i was aware of doing so was with govanah, but it wont allow me to change the comcache in the app, is there another way, i can't seem to find any information on it. BTW, thanks so so so so much, i really appreciate all of the help, you have been very helpful, thanks for the hard work!
yeah, i just checked and it worked! still runs a bit choppy, but better than before, but what about the compcache? any more help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11/14/2011, 06:46 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
yeah, i just checked and it worked! still runs a bit choppy, but better than before, but what about the compcache? any more help would be greatly appreciated!
Again, check the thread I was referring to or use Govnah to disable it.
Old 11/14/2011, 08:11 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Congrats! Just to make sure its working do these steps(if you want) in novacomd:

cd /
/sbin/swapon -s

This will tell you if it is being recognized.

Your 2.1 Pixi is only 15 minutes away: http://nuttybunny.wordpress.com/2011...pixi-plus-gsm/
palmlover123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/15/2011, 01:37 PM   #51 (permalink)

everything is working! thanks for all of the help i really appreciate it!
Old 11/16/2011, 11:09 PM   #52 (permalink)

so there seems to be a memory leak somewhere, i install jstop and turned on the automatic garbage collector, disabled the compcache, and within about 5 hours of having the phone on, i get a constant error of too many cards open, and the phone is completely unusable. i have to pull the battery and restart it. anyone else have this issue?
Old 12/09/2011, 02:04 PM   #53 (permalink)

I have spent hours trying to figure out what's going on, but I cannot. I am unable to run the resizefat. The Pixi keeps telling me that /dev/mapper/store-media1 is being used. This is after unmounting /media/internal. So I commented out the entry in the /etc/fstab so that it would not mount at startup (this messed up the order of my icons). I moved the Optware files from /opt (while /media/internal was mounted) to /temp. I then and moved them back to /opt (after /media/internal was umounted [thus /opt was empty]). I also tried to kill cryptofs. It cannot be killed. So I unmounted /media/cryptofs (but this shouldn't matter), but this did not help either. What is using /dev/mapper/store-media1? What does that 1 mean? Does this only work with webOS 2.1, because I am running 1.4.5? My goal is to resize the swap (and install Debian into its own partition). Why did Palm not put resize in webOS 1.4.5 (there is a resize for ext filesystems)? Doing this on the Touchpad was a breeze...

Last edited by wowexciting; 12/09/2011 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Updated Information
wowexciting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 09:05 AM   #54 (permalink)

Read all the steps.

1. Have the necessary optware packages installed from Preware (optware bootstrap, etc.).

2. Using install the necessary optware packages as described in the optware wiki (fatresize).

3. Move all files that were INSTALLED (don't move the entire contents) from the /opt directory to / (keep the same locations, which if you don't know what this means, don't do any of this).

4. Umount /media/internal and follow the 2.1 wiki instructions (keep in mind the different syntax of fatresize vs. Resizefat).

If you did your research, you would have found that:

A. Resizefat is only on 2.x. Hence why the optware package fatresize is needed.

B. You need to do a forceful umount of /media/internal. Commenting out the fstab entry isn't needed.

C. You also need to disable swap prior to modifing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowexciting View Post
I have spent hours trying to figure out what's going on, but I cannot. I am unable to run the resizefat. The Pixi keeps telling me that /dev/mapper/store-media1 is being used. This is after unmounting /media/internal. So I commented out the entry in the /etc/fstab so that it would not mount at startup (this messed up the order of my icons). I moved the Optware files from /opt (while /media/internal was mounted) to /temp. I then and moved them back to /opt (after /media/internal was umounted [thus /opt was empty]). I also tried to kill cryptofs. It cannot be killed. So I unmounted /media/cryptofs (but this shouldn't matter), but this did not help either. What is using /dev/mapper/store-media1? What does that 1 mean? Does this only work with webOS 2.1, because I am running 1.4.5? My goal is to resize the swap (and install Debian into its own partition). Why did Palm not put resize in webOS 1.4.5 (there is a resize for ext filesystems)? Doing this on the Touchpad was a breeze...
Old 12/10/2011, 11:28 AM   #55 (permalink)

Thanks for your quick response. Although I didn't follow the third step, the files still run where I have them. I first run mount. I see that /media/internal is mounted. When I run the umount -f /dev/mapper/store-media (or /media/internal), it unmounts. I now run mount again to find that /media/internal is no longer mounted. I now try to run fatresize -pvS 4G /dev/mapper/store-media (or /dev/store/media) and I get ".Error: Partition /dev/mapper/store-media1 is being used. You must unmount it before you modify it with Parted." What's there to unmount? If I run umount -a, the system gives me a few warnings. I have a prompt for a few seconds. Then novaterm freezes and the Pixi shuts down.

Last edited by wowexciting; 12/10/2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Updated Information
wowexciting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 07:03 AM   #56 (permalink)

Did fatresize install correctly? All the files installed by it (it also include the parted and e2fsck packages I believe) where taken from /opt to /, correct? Swap has also been disabled, and nothing is open that's using USB mode, correct? It sounds like something is still trying to access the USB partition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowexciting View Post
Thanks for your quick response. Although I didn't follow the third step, the files still run where I have them. I first run mount. I see that /media/internal is mounted. When I run the umount -f /dev/mapper/store-media (or /media/internal), it unmounts. I now run mount again to find that /media/internal is no longer mounted. I now try to run fatresize -pvS 4G /dev/mapper/store-media (or /dev/store/media) and I get ".Error: Partition /dev/mapper/store-media1 is being used. You must unmount it before you modify it with Parted." What's there to unmount? If I run umount -a, the system gives me a few warnings. I have a prompt for a few seconds. Then novaterm freezes and the Pixi shuts down.
Old 01/25/2013, 07:35 PM   #57 (permalink)

so i did this about a year ago and had no issues what so ever but now

root@Steven McBeaven's Palm Pixi:/opt/bin# cd /opt/sbin/
/bin/sh: cd: can't cd to /opt/sbin/
root@Steven McBeaven's Palm Pixi:/opt/bin# ipkg-opt update
Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op...le/Packages.gz
wget: bad address 'ipkg.nslu2-linux.org'
An error ocurred, return value: 3.
Collected errors:
ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget --passive-ftp -q -P /opt/ipkg-yrIjeh http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op...le/Packages.gz'
ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget --passive-ftp -q -P /opt/ipkg-yrIjeh http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op...le/Packages.gz'
root@Steven McBeaven's Palm Pixi:/opt/bin#

this is the error i get when trying to run

ipkg-opt update

i have webos 2.1 installed on my palm pixi plus ( ATT ), i did so, by using the new revised method.
I installed Preware, and an assortment of patches.
Next, i installed Optware, and Optware Command Line Installer
then i connect via novaterm
i cd into opt/bin
i run ipkg-opt update and that is the error i get, anyway to update the information or is there a way around this?

moto tacstar => kyocera k9 => samsung a460 => samsung n400 => nokia 3588i => samsung a920 => samsung a800 => samsung a940 => lg fusic => samsung instinct => pixi => pre => arrive => nexus s => veer => pre 2 =>pre 3 => hd7 => iphone 4s => nokia lumia 710 => nokia lumia 800 => samsung gs3 => blackberry bold 9650 => nokia lumia 900
Old 01/28/2013, 08:56 AM   #58 (permalink)

If the Pixi 2.1 distro has the same packages as the other 2.x distros, then this isn't needed. 2.x includes the resizefat package. This was needed for the 1.x devices as the package wasn't included. Now, the error might be either do to a bad web address (server may be down) or your Pixi is trying to install the ARMv7 packages. To confirm if you have resizefat, browse /bin or /sbin (I forget where it is). If it's there, you can follow the instructions found in the Pre thread about the swap partition (link may be in here somewhere).

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0