Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 58
Like Tree1Likes
  1. dzee206's Avatar
    Posts
    142 Posts
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmlover123 View Post
    Guys, the swap thing is way to complicated. I did it, and it required that you know how to install optware and things. I think Pixi 2.1 Users should just crank the compache to 128 MB.

    WHEN YOU ARE DONE:
    WebOS 2 Upgrade Pre Minus - WebOS Internals
    Install the patches at the end of the page.

    BTW Guys: It's called the swap partition, not the swap file.

    Well anyway here are the instructions( You can add them anytime to the thread Nutty :P) Also- I AM TELLING YOU WHAT WORKED FOR ME, IT MIGHT NOT WORK, IF IT DOESNT MOVE THE STUFF AROUND TO THE / DIRECTORY.

    Just a little forewarning- I am not responsible for what happens to your phone. This worked for many people, as well as me. THIS REQUIRES TERMINAL KNOWLEDGE AND HOW TO CD INTO A DIRECTORY( And I wonder how you got 2.1 installed without knowing how to cd into a directory). Also you will need to run novaterm commands. If you feel not confident that you cannot do the commands, just stop right now, or continue( It's your phone, not mine). AND I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE, IT COULD EXPLODE IN YOUR FACE( it probably won't), NOT WORK, etc. But if it fails, it's time to visit the doctor.

    1. Install Optware- The command line installer and the optware bootstrap.

    2. Install fatresize. Open your computer. You will need to connect your Pixi into the computer via USB mode. DELETE EVERYTHING OFF OF THE USB MODE, IF FAILURE TO DO SO, YOUR PHONE WILL EXPLODE. Oh, and then disconnect it and then put in just charge mode and then put it airplane mode. Then open up windows cmd/ubuntu terminal/mac terminal. Run novaterm. Then it should say like: Blah Blah Pixi@root or something like that. Then do "cd opt/bin" Then run ipkg-opt update. If it says that its an error, its ok. Then do ipkg-opt install fatresize. Congrats, you have now installed fatresize!!!!! Now, if your Pixi has a 6.35 GB usb drive. Then we shall shrink it to 6GB, so we can have 350 MB for the swap. To find out how to do so, just connect your phone via USB, then find out how big it is. Just round it off to 6 GB, so lets say that your phone is 6.34GB, then you will shrink it by 340 MB.

    3. Run the commands. Now, before we go on, THIS MIGHT CAUSE YOUR PHONE TO EXPLODE RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT GOES WRONG. Do these commands:

    A.cd /opt/sbin/
    B. resizefat -v /dev/store/media 6.0G
    C.lvm lvreduce -L 6.0G /dev/store/media
    D.lvm lvresize -L +350 /dev/store/swap (The 350 ONLY APPLIES if your phone had a 6.35 GB USB Drive, if it had a 6.36GB it would be 360 MB, and so on.)
    E.swapoff /dev/store/swap
    F.mkswap /dev/store/sw
    G.swapon /dev/store/swap"
    H. Reboot( i think it is /sbin/reboot, so type in "/sbin/reboot.), and don't worry if you can't do e-g, I couldn't and its working fine( And besides, the same steps from e through g are done at boot).

    4. A thanks will always be appreciative :P, if you have any questions either post it in the thread or pm me. And was that so hard?
    root@********:/# swapoff /dev/store/swap
    swapoff: /dev/store/swap: Invalid argument
    root@********:/# mkswap /dev/store/swap
    /dev/store/swap: Device or resource busy
    root@********:/# swapon /dev/store/swap
    swapon: /dev/store/swap: Invalid argument...............<is this ok or did i mess up? everything was a breeze till part e.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by dzee206 View Post
    root@********:/# swapoff /dev/store/swap
    swapoff: /dev/store/swap: Invalid argument
    root@********:/# mkswap /dev/store/swap
    /dev/store/swap: Device or resource busy
    root@********:/# swapon /dev/store/swap
    swapon: /dev/store/swap: Invalid argument...............<is this ok or did i mess up? everything was a breeze till part e.
    Yeah, everything is ok, just reboot your phone.

    Oh, and go into novaterm. Then do:

    cd /
    /sbin/swapon -s

    Before doing those steps go to this link and install ALL the patches at the end of the page with Internalz.

    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...rade_Pre_Minus
    Last edited by palmlover123; 09/03/2011 at 07:09 PM.
    My Pixi *Plus* can handle the "new features" of WebOS 2

    Your 2.1 Pixi is only 15 minutes away: http://nuttybunny.wordpress.com/2011...pixi-plus-gsm/
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    I'm inclined to agree that most people should just set compcache to 128mb- I'm comfortable with terminal work and still managed to screw it up and lose all my installed applications three times :s
    Compcache for me I think!
    I think I know why this is happening. I set "Show hidden files" in Windows 7. I think when you delete everything off the USB Drive, including the hidden stuff, it will delete the icons on your launcher.

    So don't delete anything that is a hidden file.
    Last edited by palmlover123; 10/08/2011 at 07:54 PM.
    My Pixi *Plus* can handle the "new features" of WebOS 2

    Your 2.1 Pixi is only 15 minutes away: http://nuttybunny.wordpress.com/2011...pixi-plus-gsm/
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    Palmlover, you're welcome for helping you through this/showing you how. Thanks though for posting it to all.
    Message received.

    Palmlover123, that was poor form not crediting bassman97 with your instructions.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Message received.

    Palmlover123, that was poor form not crediting bassman97 with your instructions.
    Bassman97 just helped me with the fatresize part. Look at the 2nd post again though .
    My Pixi *Plus* can handle the "new features" of WebOS 2

    Your 2.1 Pixi is only 15 minutes away: http://nuttybunny.wordpress.com/2011...pixi-plus-gsm/
  6.    #26  
    Ok, guys weird things are happening here. The unstable and the stable packages for fatresize are corrupt. Is there any other fatresize packages that have been compiled for arm? Or could someone else try this and see if it is not just me?


    UPDATE: I know why now. Leave wifi on after putting airplane mode on.
    My Pixi *Plus* can handle the "new features" of WebOS 2

    Your 2.1 Pixi is only 15 minutes away: http://nuttybunny.wordpress.com/2011...pixi-plus-gsm/
  7. #27  
    So wait, which is better? Compcache on at 128 or swapping partitions?
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    So wait, which is better? Compcache on at 128 or swapping partitions?

    As the compcache devs have said, the implementation we use is junk. Letting Linux handle partitions is superior. For me, after running with just swap, I found no benefit in running a ramzswap (compcache without backing store) partition. Especially for the Pixi where there isn't enough processing power to spare for compressing/uncompressing.
  9. #29  
    Pixi's CPU doesn't need additional load with compressing and decompressing.
  10. #30  
    root@palm-webos:/opt/bin# ipkg-opt update
    ipkg conf init: Failed to create temporary directory '(null)': Read-only file system
    root@palm-webos:/opt/bin# ipkg-opt install fatresize
    ipkg conf init: Failed to create temporary directory '(null)': Read-only file system



    I have both optware bootstrap and the command line installed on my VZW Pixi 2.1
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    root@palm-webos:/opt/bin# ipkg-opt update
    ipkg conf init: Failed to create temporary directory '(null)': Read-only file system
    root@palm-webos:/opt/bin# ipkg-opt install fatresize
    ipkg conf init: Failed to create temporary directory '(null)': Read-only file system



    I have both optware bootstrap and the command line installed on my VZW Pixi 2.1
    Please read the instructions at the optware wiki. If you are at all confused, stop now since messing around w/ volumes & partitions is a bad idea for you.
  12. #32  
    I've done a partition swap on Android before but that was 2 years ago. I'm great in a terminal, it's just a matter of following directions but the Tutorial for this made by palmlover wasn't very detailed.
  13.    #33  
    These steps are actually very detailed. The problem is that you must make the /media/internal mounted and readable and writeable. I don't know how to do the exact steps in terminal, please search google or search here on precentral. And please please don't be using cgywin. Use windows cmd.

    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    I've done a partition swap on Android before but that was 2 years ago. I'm great in a terminal, it's just a matter of following directions but the Tutorial for this made by palmlover wasn't very detailed.
  14. #34  
    I tried setting my Pixi up with ssh access but I still receive permission denied after generating the necessary keys. I'll keep searching
  15. #35  
    I tried dropbear, ssh and neither work. I don't know what you did to access read/write. Also, run ipkg-opt update should be sh run ipkg-opt update and "ipkg-opt install fatresize should be "sh ipkg-opt install fatresize". But then again maybe not because when I typed " resizefat -v /dev/store/media 6.0G" it said "resize not found".

    Oh well. The pixi wasn't meant for this I'll go back to my Pre 2.
  16. #36  
    For those who are in my same predicament, follow this thread's instructions on setting up terminal access with your device: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...bos-phone.html

    It's very informative and instructive.

    Palmlover123, your commands are written wrong...

    B. resize fat -v /dev/store/media 6.0G
    F.mkswap /dev/store/swap
    G.swapon /dev/store/swap

    Those are right, just a few grammar errors but it threw me a curve ball. Haha, thanks for this!
    Last edited by ursula; 11/07/2011 at 12:39 AM.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmlover123 View Post
    These steps are actually very detailed. The problem is that you must make the /media/internal mounted and readable and writeable. I don't know how to do the exact steps in terminal, please search google or search here on precentral. And please please don't be using cgywin. Use windows cmd.
    media/internal has nothing to with installing optware (by default it's rw otherwise how could it be used as a USB drive). You need to make the root directory rw. Again, this would be clear if someone read the optware wiki.
  18. #38  
    im having some issues here, hopefully someone can help, i would be very grateful.
    anywho, i am trying to run this from an ubuntu terminal and this is what i get


    Palm Pixi bin # ipkg-opt install fatresize
    Nothing to be done
    An error ocurred, return value: 4.
    Collected errors:
    Cannot find package fatresize.
    Check the spelling or perhaps run 'ipkg update'


    am i missing something here, i have fatresize installed on ubuntu, can someone please help? is the package supposed to be on my pixi?
  19.    #39  
    Put your Pixi out of airplane mode and then try to install fatresize. Then when it is installed you can put your Pixi into airplane mode and do the rest of the steps.

    Quote Originally Posted by smcbeaven View Post
    im having some issues here, hopefully someone can help, i would be very grateful.
    anywho, i am trying to run this from an ubuntu terminal and this is what i get


    Palm Pixi bin # ipkg-opt install fatresize
    Nothing to be done
    An error ocurred, return value: 4.
    Collected errors:
    Cannot find package fatresize.
    Check the spelling or perhaps run 'ipkg update'


    am i missing something here, i have fatresize installed on ubuntu, can someone please help? is the package supposed to be on my pixi?
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmlover123 View Post
    Put your Pixi out of airplane mode and then try to install fatresize. Then when it is installed you can put your Pixi into airplane mode and do the rest of the steps.
    thanks, very simple fix, that worked to install it, but now i run into this:


    Palm Pixi bin # ipkg-opt install fatresize
    Installing fatresize (1.0.2-1) to root...
    Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op....0.2-1_arm.ipk
    Installing parted (1.7.1-1) to root...
    Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op....7.1-1_arm.ipk
    Installing e2fslibs (1.41.14-1) to root...
    Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op...1.14-1_arm.ipk
    Configuring e2fslibs
    Configuring fatresize
    Configuring parted
    Successfully terminated.
    Palm Pixi bin # cd /opt/sbin/
    Palm Pixi sbin # resizefat -v /dev/store/media 6.0G
    /bin/sh: resizefat: not found


    i don't understand how that works? it just installed
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions