Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. brdl04's Avatar
    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
       #1  
    My friend owns his own company and relies on his phone for email and phone calls. He gets probably 50-100 emails a day, and multiple phone calls.

    Would a pixi be a good phone for him?

    He just got a firesale touchpad and loves the interface, so I told him to check out webos phones....

    He currently owns a blackberry.


    thoughts??
  2. #2  
    It would definitely be able to do what he needs it to do, just depends on whether or not he would want something that small, and if he's open to switching to webOS. BTW the Pixi is only second in age to the original Pre, and is stuck at webOS version 1.4.5. That said, I have a Sprint Pixi that I turned into a Pixi plus, installed Preware on and overclocked, and I love it. But it's definitely not the first device I think of when recommending phones to friends. But if he really wants to go all-in on webOS, it's not a bad way to go.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  3. brdl04's Avatar
    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    It would definitely be able to do what he needs it to do, just depends on whether or not he would want something that small, and if he's open to switching to webOS. BTW the Pixi is only second in age to the original Pre, and is stuck at webOS version 1.4.5. That said, I have a Sprint Pixi that I turned into a Pixi plus, installed Preware on and overclocked, and I love it. But it's definitely not the first device I think of when recommending phones to friends. But if he really wants to go all-in on webOS, it's not a bad way to go.
    He's been a blackberry user since the original curve. He will not use it for media consumption and loves candy bar qwerty form factor. That is my thoughts about recommending that.
  4. #4  
    as much as I love my Pixi you really can't beat blackberry for power business use especially email. I don't know If the Pixi battery can handle all that. Especially that many emails I would stick with blackberry. Its has a reliable OS, good battery life, bestkeyboard, and good for business.

    If he's not into media stuff and apps, stick with BB, also blackberry got a new bold coming out which is really nice.
  5. brdl04's Avatar
    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    as much as I love my Pixi you really can't beat blackberry for power business use especially email. I don't know If the Pixi battery can handle all that. Especially that many emails I would stick with blackberry. Its has a reliable OS, good battery life, bestkeyboard, and good for business.

    If he's not into media stuff and apps, stick with BB, also blackberry got a new bold coming out which is really nice.
    The battery life would be my hang up to recommend for him as well. Perhaps he should stick with blackberry.
  6. #6  
    Verizon/ATT Pre 2 can handle that load.
  7. #7  
    I would NOT recommend a Sprint Pixi for your friend running a business.
    The Sprint Pixi does not have wifi. The Verizon Pixi does have Wifi, but it is a sluggish phone especially when there is a lot of network activity going on (checking for email, syncing calendar, etc..)

    I love webos, but I honestly could not recommend any of the existing webos phones to be used for a business owner when the competition just has much better hardware.

    If your friend really does want to use a webos phone for his business my recommendation would be a Pre 2. (you can hack the Pre2 to work on Sprint)
  8. TheMetro's Avatar
    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #8  
    My at&t Pixi Plus was not fast and powerful enough to keep up with me and my small business. Despite its quirks, my new Veer works much better. I suggest he consider a Veer to complement his new TP.
  9. brdl04's Avatar
    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
       #9  
    Thanks all for the recommendation. He will be sticking with blackberry most likely. He is not one to Frankenpre a device, and he is not switching carriers yet. He just moved to Sprint last year.

    thanks for your help.
  10. #10  
    You are able to get webOS 2.1 on a pixi because i have done it but for all that work i would stick with a blackberry for sure.
  11. libray's Avatar
    Posts
    195 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    #11  
    Matter of fact, I may be switching to a Blackberry when my franken Pixi dies. I think that WebOS does email better in Today's world since most shops who have BES already have EAS. EAS allows synching mail, calendar and contacts, and WebOS integrates different respective accounts together into individual purpose based apps. The Blackberry wins on pull then push mail and battery life.

    It's not a lot of things going on in the Veer forum like OS update discussions or new and exciting app discussions even though the Veer was the last phone that was released by HP.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
  12. Bo
    Bo is offline
    Bo's Avatar
    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    It would definitely be able to do what he needs it to do, just depends on whether or not he would want something that small, and if he's open to switching to webOS. BTW the Pixi is only second in age to the original Pre, and is stuck at webOS version 1.4.5. That said, I have a Sprint Pixi that I turned into a Pixi plus, installed Preware on and overclocked, and I love it. But it's definitely not the first device I think of when recommending phones to friends. But if he really wants to go all-in on webOS, it's not a bad way to go.
    the screen size between a BB and a Pixi is not that different. The battery life on the Pixi isn't that bad either unless you're playing a lot of games. If I don't play any games or spend too much time on the web, with just email and texting my Pixi will last until the next day without a charge. That's with Bluetooth, GPS and data on all day. I mean I know someone isn't browsing too much, if at all, on the BB because its terrible. Battery life is no doubt better on a BB also because it doesn't have a touchscreen.

    The only thing I'm not aware of is how he connects to his email system. No smartphone besides windows mobile handles emails better than a BB for corporate exchange systems. Winmo does it thru active sync and just needing to allow a checkbox be selected on your exchange server and BB thru a BES server. You can except meeting request thru either one, I'm not sure if webOS can accept or create meeting request for an exchange system.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by brdl04 View Post
    My friend owns his own company and relies on his phone for email and phone calls. He gets probably 50-100 emails a day, and multiple phone calls.

    Would a pixi be a good phone for him?

    He just got a firesale touchpad and loves the interface, so I told him to check out webos phones....

    He currently owns a blackberry.


    thoughts??
    I am in the same position as your friend.
    I went with the Pixi when it first came out and it did a great job.
    Now that HP has abandoned all smartphones I would say do not buy a Pixi.

    He should look at the Motorola XPRT (Sprint) or the Droid Pro (Verizon)
    They are set up to be business phones.
    The best part about these phones is that they can be remotely disabled if you loose the phone or the phone is stolen. That is a great security feature.
    There is also a Motorola Pax coming out in september ( Sprint) which is an improved XPRT with a larger screen, more memory , 4G.

    As soon as the Pax is available I will retire my Pixi
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo View Post
    the screen size between a BB and a Pixi is not that different. The battery life on the Pixi isn't that bad either unless you're playing a lot of games. If I don't play any games or spend too much time on the web, with just email and texting my Pixi will last until the next day without a charge. That's with Bluetooth, GPS and data on all day. I mean I know someone isn't browsing too much, if at all, on the BB because its terrible. Battery life is no doubt better on a BB also because it doesn't have a touchscreen.

    The only thing I'm not aware of is how he connects to his email system. No smartphone besides windows mobile handles emails better than a BB for corporate exchange systems. Winmo does it thru active sync and just needing to allow a checkbox be selected on your exchange server and BB thru a BES server. You can except meeting request thru either one, I'm not sure if webOS can accept or create meeting request for an exchange system.
    Despite what I said about the Pixi, I do own a small business, and my Pixi Plus (converted from a minus) works for me just fine. Battery life on it is quite good IMO, much better than the Motorola Q it replaced, and that's even with it being overclocked. However I do not use Exchange, so that was not in the equation for me. If I did, I'd probably go back to good old Windows Mobile. Nothing handles Exchange better, not even WP7.

    But yes, IMO all current smartphones need improvement when it comes to Exchange support. Having to run a BES alongside Exchange is (IMHO) a waste of money and resources, so I would never go that route, but I do miss the ability to accept and send meeting requests from my phone.
    Touchscreens are a fad.

Posting Permissions