1.    #1  
    Good Morning!

Firstable sorry for my bad English, it isn't my mothertongue language.

Here my question: I need to migrate data (calendar, addresses, sms, etc) from a Palm Treo 680 to a Palm Pixi Plus.

Can you suggest me a specific product which is able to perform such task?
    I don't want to pass through an online account such Google.
    My aim is to do the whole job on a "local" basis without involving any over-the-air synchronization.

That's a quite old fashioned thinking I know ...

Is a solution to sync the Treo 680 with Missing Sync to Mac OS 10.5 and then somehow forward data to Missing Sync for Pixi Plus? Does it make sense this?

Now the Treo 680 is sync with Palm Desktop 4.2.1 to Mac OS 10.5.

Thanks a lot in advance for help and advise.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Here is a video that walks you through it:
    How to sync Palm Desktop with your Google/Gmail account

Or here is a thread asking the same thing:
    How to upload Palm Desktop data to Google? - Support Community

I hope these help.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Targon for prompt reply and advise!

The important point is that I don't want to use Google/Gmail account neither any similar online account.

I would like to transfer data, if possible, via computer: USB, wifi, bluetooth (?!).

Then I would like to sync all the data (calendar, addresses, etc) on a computer, I mean Mac running OS X 10.5.

No over-the-air activity ... at all please.

I hope I explained clearly my question and what I want to do ... and, more important, how I want to do it.

Thanks again for advise and help.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    The WebOS devices are really designed with being connected to "the cloud", and as a result, there is no good way to directly transfer your data between devices. Now, once you have your data transferred to a gmail or yahoo account and then down to your Pre Plus, it is on the phone, so even if you have no Internet access, you still have everything there.

The real thing is that while there are some apps to let you sync to a computer, the expected way is via gmail or yahoo. Not needing to ever use a cable to sync your phone is a wonderful thing.

You can try Missing Sync, but you may need to do some work on your end to get things out of Palm Desktop.

Sync Palm Pre and Palm Pixi with Windows XP and Windows Vista - The Missing Sync for Palm Pre
  5.    #5  
    Thanks again Targon for advise and comments.

Very sad, IMHO, that a traditional cable sync way is no longer available :-(

I'll try Missing Sync because there's a Mac OS X version, I hope everything will be smooth.

I am not really so confortable with a sole over-the-air sync involving "the cloud", a matter of confidentiality ... is this a reasonable doubt?
    Quote Originally Posted by techne View Post
    Thanks again Targon for advise and comments.

Very sad, IMHO, that a traditional cable sync way is no longer available :-(

I'll try Missing Sync because there's a Mac OS X version, I hope everything will be smooth.

I am not really so confortable with a sole over-the-air sync involving "the cloud", a matter of confidentiality ... is this a reasonable doubt?
    If you want traditional cable sync, get a Blackberry or Nokia device.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Hello techne, the Treo 680 is really a great smartphone even by Todays standards. Great phone, threaded messaging, PIM functionality. With a Pixi you will have access to some newer apps and able to view more web content, but beware that updates of firmware for it is no longer being produced regularly.

I, like you, had a problem about confidentiality. I took my 755p to my cellular provider thinking that there would have been a device to device or device to pc to device sync that would be performed. I quickly found out that the new 'Palm profile' that comes with WebOS takes all your contacts and other PIM data and 'backs' it up on the cloud. The palm profile is the default unless you default to another cloud service like gmail or a MS. Exchange account.

So I shrugged it off knowing that my data already hit the cloud. All I could do then was delete entries from the Palm Profile and default to Exchange (the lesser of evils as far as my data goes)

Now that I have a Blackberry Playbook tablet I got last week, I'm not needing the Pixi for the things I got it for. I also gave up a nice, lower priced cellular plan for this 'upgrade' phone. The value over a Treo is marginal for a Pixi or any of the social network focused smartphones of Today IMO, but I have typed this whole message from the Pixi

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Last edited by libray; 07/12/2011 at 04:43 PM.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
  8.    #8  
    Thanks ADGrant and libray!

I am oriented to purchase The Missing Link in order to perform the sync with Mac OS X.
    Anybody here has some advice about this 3rd part application?

As far as I understand the majority here on the forum relies on the cloud, is that true?
    Do you feel confortable about this?

Thanks for comments.
    I dont like the cloud
    No matter what any cell phone carrier tells me, I know it's not secure.
    The way I moved information was to back up my treo to a sd card
    Once I did that I could get the info I needed to my new Pixi.
    I was able to use the Classic App to make my Pixi work and look just like a Treo.
    Classic App no longer supports web os and HP refuses to do anything about the software package that almost all Treo users loved.

If I was in your position and had a security concern.
    I would upgrade to one of the higher end Blackberry's or a Motorola Droid Pro/ XPRT
    HP has really not done right for Palm users, this forum is really the only support for Pixie's. Motorola has the only high security android operating system phones. If you dont want a Motorola phone you are left with a Blackberry
  10.    #10  
    Thank you Ronald600 for your advise and opinion.

I appreciate a lot your suggestion about sd card/Classic App.

I'll strongly evaluate this option.

Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    No, thank you techne. I forgot about this point when setting up my phone.

Again, the palm profile is new and has a default cloud backup. Before you import any contacts via cable or other direct method to your Pixi, open the backup app and turn that off. Otherwise, the contacts you have on the Pixi will go to Palm/HP.

This has me wondering and worried. Did HP really buy Palm just to have a phone platform and WebOS, or how does the WebOS ecosystem, with users data sitting at Palms datacenter, valued to HP?
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
    Hello! If you have palm desktop software be sure that the iSync conduit in enabled so that the contacts will flow into address book and calendar events into iCal etc.. When that is accomplished missing sync will EASILY sync either via wifi or USB. I did the same thing when I went from treo 700p to Centro and finally to the pre. It's really pretty slick. Let me know if you need more specific instructions, i'd be happy to help.
  13.    #13  
    Many thanks to everybody for suggestions and opinions, I really appreciated them!

Unfortunately I found that the Classic App isn't no longer on sale ... I started a separate post about this fact.

As Mac OS X user I'll evaluate the option suggested by Ralion:

Palm Desktop > iSync > Address Book and iCal > USB to the Pixi Plus

I wish a great week-end to everybody!
    Quote Originally Posted by techne View Post
    Good Morning!

Firstable sorry for my bad English, it isn't my mothertongue language.

Here my question: I need to migrate data (calendar, addresses, sms, etc) from a Palm Treo 680 to a Palm Pixi Plus.

Can you suggest me a specific product which is able to perform such task?
    I don't want to pass through an online account such Google.
    My aim is to do the whole job on a "local" basis without involving any over-the-air synchronization.

That's a quite old fashioned thinking I know ...

Is a solution to sync the Treo 680 with Missing Sync to Mac OS 10.5 and then somehow forward data to Missing Sync for Pixi Plus? Does it make sense this?

Now the Treo 680 is sync with Palm Desktop 4.2.1 to Mac OS 10.5.

Thanks a lot in advance for help and advise.
    It's labor intensive but you can transfer all your contacts to your SIM card on the 680. The Pixi should then be able to import all of them. If you can find a copy of ManageXT, I think it allows you to export all to the SIM card at once. At least in this way, you'll have your contacts transferred easily without the cloud.

But if you still want desktop sync, stick with the Treo. It may look old and dated, but it's hard to beat it. BlackBerries are junk. In fact, I'm using an old TX over the BlackBerry work gave me. The TX gives me a larger screen and does everything easier and faster. BlackBerry OS truly has the worst UI (especially when comparing menus in Palm OS with BlackBerry). Even web wise, Opera Mini on the 680 provides a great experience and at times works better than the Pixi's browser (which has rendering problems sometimes). Plus, it's hard to beat the ease of use of Garnet, it's quick restart, ability to do anything (except multi-task), etc.

But don't fear the cloud either. Remember, chances are your data is secured better at Google than it is at your home computer. Remember, a hacker can always hack into your home computer and steal or all your data, especially if you make it easy (unsecured wireless router, open ports, no firewalls, partial firewall, etc.). If you're already using gmail, adding your contacts and calender entries is easy, fairly painless, and is kind of convenient to have it automatically synced vs. pressing the hotsync button. Also, you have the law to back you up for abuse of your data (as well as Google's privacy mentality being better than Zuckerburg's).
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post

But if you still want desktop sync, stick with the Treo. It may look old and dated, but it's hard to beat it. BlackBerries are junk. In fact, I'm using an old TX over the BlackBerry work gave me. The TX gives me a larger screen and does everything easier and faster. BlackBerry OS truly has the worst UI (especially when comparing menus in Palm OS with BlackBerry). Even web wise, Opera Mini on the 680 provides a great experience and at times works better than the Pixi's browser (which has rendering problems sometimes). Plus, it's hard to beat the ease of use of Garnet, it's quick restart, ability to do anything (except multi-task),
    What model of Blackberry did you employer give you. I went from a Centro to a Bold 9700. The BB has it's limitations and I still switch to my Cento when traveling outside the US. Hover in most respects it is superior to the Centro or 680. It supports 3G and wi-fi, has a higher res screen, a better keyboard than any Palm device, a better browser than PalmOS, supports multi-tasking, has reliable blue tooth and supports full desktop sync and some cloud syncing such as google calendar.

Email is a mixed bag though and the dependency on RIM's servers is very annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    What model of Blackberry did you employer give you. I went from a Centro to a Bold 9700. The BB has it's limitations and I still switch to my Cento when traveling outside the US. Hover in most respects it is superior to the Centro or 680. It supports 3G and wi-fi, has a higher res screen, a better keyboard than any Palm device, a better browser than PalmOS, supports multi-tasking, has reliable blue tooth and supports full desktop sync and some cloud syncing such as google calendar.

Email is a mixed bag though and the dependency on RIM's servers is very annoying.
    I had an old as dirt one and now have a Bold 9870 (I think that's the number, it's the latest T-Mo version). Sure it has 3G (though CDMA Centros had 3G) and I guess some models have a higher res screen (320X320 really isn't that bad), but I disagree with the keyboard.

The Centro has a bad keyboard, but it is still usable whereas the 680 has a great keyboard. The subtle raisings on the Bold keyboard is helpful, but it's too flat for my taste. For me it's hard to judge if I hit the right key, vs. the very curvy 680 keys.

But I prefer, as much as it sucks, Blazer over what Blackberry has for a browser. But even so, I run Opera on both and Opera on the Palm is much easier to use on the Blackerry (divided menus and a touchscreen helps a lot).

While the Blackberry does have multitasking, its level of multitasking is not significantly better than Palm OS and with DAs, Palm OS provides me with an acceptable level of multitasking (though unmatched by webOS).

Bluetooth was always reliable for me. In fact, the Blackberry always gave me problems when I tethered my 680, Centro, or TX to my Blackberries, where I needed to reset the Blackberry to complete the connection.

Hotsync on Palm OS pretty much syncs everything, including emails. I'm not sure how Blackberry syncs more. I'm pretty sure Blackberry doesn't do desktop email sync either. Also, Palm OS can support cloud syncing via Google's exchange server. Adding an Exchange account in Versamail using Google's server allows syncing of Calender, mail, and contacts. There are also other software like goosync, etc. Pimlical, if used, also provides this through Hotsync.

Heck, EDGE with Opera ain't so bad, considering the better coverage and the lower usage nowadays. Only problem with EDGE is multimedia stuff takes forever to buffer, but the boost in battery life and better coverage outweights this if you consider multimedia kind of pointless on a 2-3" screen.