Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I am thinking about getting a palm pixi plus on verizon and meta-doctor it to 2.x and then I am wondering if I can have it go onto verizons network from there without a data contract. Thanks.
    --
    samercier
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Verizon requires a smartphone, in order to be used on their network, to pay data rates. No just phone. :P
    I've was a long time Verizon customer. I wanted a smartphone to upgrade my Centro, but didn't want to pay data charges. Ended up getting a Pixi+ at Newegg, and porting my line to Page Plus.

Page Plus uses Verizon's network (the prepaid Vzw network, perhaps 1% smaller than the postpaid network). I'm on the Page Plus Talk-n-Text 1200 ($30 for 1200 minutes, plus 2000 texts, plus 100MB data). I'm in my third month now, and quite happy with Page Plus.

I just use wifi, and only turn on 3g data when necessary. My first month I used 10MB 3g data, second month about 5MB 3g data. I work in a college town, we have thousands of wifi APs on campus.
    PagePlus is an option if you just want to be able to stay on Verizon's network or use a Verizon smartphone without a data plan. They do use Verizon's full network, you jsut can't gain access to any of Verizon "special" services like V CAST and VZ Navigator. If you go with PagePlus, my personal recommendation would be to go through kittywireless.com, they're a pretty good dealer.

Another option, depending on how long you've been a Verizon customer, is calling corporate CS and seeing if you can talk one of the reps into not requiring the data plan since you're bringing your own phone. You might need to try a few different reps to be able to swing that but it could be worth the time to try if you want to stay with Verizon (and they want you to stay with them).
    The pixi won't doctor to 2.x. You'll be stuck at 1.4.5. If you want 2.x, go for a Pre+

Page Plus rocks if it fits your usage style.
    Orion: I'm no expert, so maybe I have this wrong, but I heard that Page Plus's coverage is based on Verizon's prepaid service. This covers slightly less than their postpaid area.

As an example, look in Michigan's thumb area, you see several counties that are roaming for Page Plus, but included in regular Verizon postpaid.

Similarly, you can look at Verizon's coverage maps and click the buttons between prepaid and postpaid service and see the coverage is slightly different.

It isn't an issue for me, I spend so little time in the Page Plus roaming areas that I can just spend the extra for roaming minutes ($0.00 after three months). And another thumbs up for kittywireless.com
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skora View Post
    The pixi won't doctor to 2.x. You'll be stuck at 1.4.5. If you want 2.x, go for a Pre+

Page Plus rocks if it fits your usage style.
    the pixi plus can be doctored well actuall metadoctored to 2.x there's a thread about it on here with plenty success stories.
    Last edited by dzee206; 07/15/2011 at 02:08 AM. Reason: typo