Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    My kids are primarily at a house with WIFI when using their phones, though are also out and about. I was thinking of getting a low cost maybe pay per text/minute on PagePlus but they would be able to use the phone extensively on WIFI.

So can this be done?

1. How can someone send them a text and they receive it through cell pone if away from WIFI or through WIFI and no cell when on WIFI? That doesn't seem possible to the same number.

2. Could they at least send text and receive them and be notified of a text when on WIFI with no cell so they can have their extended conversations going through their WIFI account when possible? Seems that Google voice may work for this.

3. It looks like they can call out using Google Voice but to receive calls coming in, they may need an internet SIP or whatever it is called. Edit: no, I just realized this method still uses cell minutes.

4. Can these WIFI solutions go through their contacts or do they need to go for example to Google Voice and start from there?

Of course I would like this to work seamlessly where a person calls or texts one number and they receive it with no cell phone cost when on WIFI and otherwise on Cell, but that doesn't look possible. So I would at least like them to be able to initiate or correspond on the "free" WIFI when possible.
    Last edited by FlyingBoat; 07/04/2011 at 02:45 AM.
    Don't understand why you want to use SMS?
    You can use email or google (or whatever) chat to send text.

For phone calls you may try linphone
    It's still in alpha state. You will need a SIP provider. I use sipgate for this.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Hi, thanks for responding. I don't know enough about this to know if I want or need SMS.

Just want to know how kids could do text with it working pretty much the way it does for them right now through cell. Is that possible? I have done a little testing with Google and see that I can send text, when I receive a message to it, would I be notified on the phone, would I need to be signed into google?

Yes, I understand it looks like linphone would work to receive calls. The thread on it though, looks like people haven't got it all working correctly yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingBoat View Post
    Hi, thanks for responding. I don't know enough about this to know if I want or need SMS.

Just want to know how kids could do text with it working pretty much the way it does for them right now through cell. Is that possible? I have done a little testing with Google and see that I can send text, when I receive a message to it, would I be notified on the phone, would I need to be signed into google?

Yes, I understand it looks like linphone would work to receive calls. The thread on it though, looks like people haven't got it all working correctly yet.
    You didn't told us if your kids have a smartphone (Pixi/pre).
    If yes: yes you get a notification as if it was a SMS. You don't see the difference. And yes you need to be online @ e.g. googlechat.
    Linphone is not so stable atm.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Thanks. Yes I just bought a Pixie Plus and looking at picking up 3 more for the kids to use with limited PagePlus unless Verizon comes up with a family data plan.

So some differences with this. For Wifi they need to be online at something like googlechat in order to be notified of message. I suppose it works just to keep that card open all the time?
    You don't even need to keep a card open. It's build into the system.
    Just connect.
    When a (chat) messages arrives you get a notification same for SMS.
    EDIT: Same for email.
    Last edited by somline; 07/03/2011 at 11:10 AM.
    Moss carriers have an email address for each phone. For verizon it is 7705551212@vtext.com where u insert your own number.

that allows you to email to a cell phone' etc.