Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Hey Everyone,

I am a Palm Pixi n00b!!! I come from the world of Jail-Breaking iPhones and rooting Androids, but know nothing about Palm Pixi or WebOS.

If possible, could someone recommend a few key and essential threads so that I can quickly get up to speed on the world of exploiting and modding the Palm Pixi?

Also, what is the proper term when it comes to hacking the Palm Pixi (Custom ROMs, Overclocking, etc.)?

Thank you!!

BJ

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    it's not really hacking, developer mode is built in. With no cards open type "webos20090606" (with out quotes) click the dev mode icon that pops up, then turn it on. The pixi will reset, from there google preware once you get that you'll need webos quick install in order to install preware. While your at it grab webos doctor for sprint pixi+ just incase you need to reset your pixi back to stock.
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Dzee206,

Thank you so much!! Are there any threads that you can recommend for me? Also, are there custom recovery apps, custom kernals and custom roms for Palm Pixis like there are for Droids? I just got a Sprint Palm Pixi for my son, but I wanted to do the equivalent of rooting it and creating a nandroid dump like I would with an Android phone, before giving him his new phone.

Thx!

BJ
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    How To: Install Homebrew Apps on the Palm Pre | The #1 HP / Palm webOS Community | PreCentral.net < this is the best I can do I tried sifting through a few pages but way too many. When it comes to palm devices preware is it's best friend, it has everything you will ever need homebrew, over clocking kernals,patches to customize your phone the way you want it also adds features that didn't come with the device stock not to mention all the great themes to add. Oh yea as for recovery apps only a few but webos doctor can reset it back to stock like it's never been modded at all. Hope this helps.
    This has a lot of good information also...

http://en.webos-internals.org/wiki/Main_Page

Link below is also a useful overview but not sure if some of it is outdated,

http://www.precentral.net/how-use-pr...hes-and-themes
    Last edited by djgardn2; 06/17/2011 at 03:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by biggjoe View Post
    Dzee206,

Thank you so much!! Are there any threads that you can recommend for me? Also, are there custom recovery apps, custom kernals and custom roms for Palm Pixis like there are for Droids? I just got a Sprint Palm Pixi for my son, but I wanted to do the equivalent of rooting it and creating a nandroid dump like I would with an Android phone, before giving him his new phone.

Thx!

BJ
    Hi,

Palm actually supplies their own recovery system called a webOSDoctor, that can restore even the most secure problems and restores the device to factory condition. The Palm Profile storing a bunch of data, like what App Catalog apps you've bought and restores them after using a webOSDoctor. Usually you want to consider webOSDoctor as a last resort, as it wipes all data.

Additionally, in the homebrew world, there's an app called "Save/Restore" which will backup basically all the rest (app data, settings, etc.).

Yes, there are a few kernels available. If you choose to install a custom kernel, afterwards, install the homebrew app "Govnah" and it'll let you control settings live overclocking.

Entering into the homebrew world usually starts with my desktop program, WebOS Quick Install (aka WOSQI). Once you've got that working, you can install Preware for on-device installs. Both WOSQI and Preware allow you to install a multitude of homebrew apps, patches, kernels, themes, etc.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Wow, all of this information from everyone is EXACTLY what I was looking for...thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*** Jason,

Right now, I have a brand-new Sprint Palm Pixi in the new Sprint Box...it hasn't even been turned on yet.

Coming from the Android world, there would normally be a series of steps that I would want to perform before fully utilizing the phone, i.e;

1. - First, I would want to root the phone and get 'Super User' or 'Root' access within Linux

2. - Then, I would load a 'Custom Recovery' app such as 'Xionia Clockworld' or etc.

3. - Then, I would create a snap-shot/back-up image (Nandroid) of the Stock ROM as it currently is.

4. - I would then flash a custom ROM such as CyanogenMod7 or RebornROM

5. - After I loaded my apps and tweaked the custom ROM, I would create another 'Nandroid'

...at this point the phone would be ready for use.

If possible and time permitting...since I'm brand-new to this...could you please recommend similar steps like these for the Palm Pixi?

So far, it seems that there is no 'rooting' and that all I have to do is put the Palm Pixi in 'Developer Mode' which appears to be ultra simple. From there, I would install PreWare. Then perhaps install the 'Save/Restore' app to make a backup? From there I could load any custom ROM and overclock the Pixi and if I screw it up I can either restore with 'Save/Restore' or Factory Wipe/Reset with WebOS Doctor? Let me know your thoughts.

BJ
    Also, what is the proper term when it comes to hacking the Palm Pixi (Custom ROMs, Overclocking, etc.)?
    We don't use "ROM's" since you can change the OS on the fly.
    EDIT: OK maybe you need a reboot after patching ;-)
    Thats called "patching". With the Homebrew app "preware" or Jasons "WOSQI" you can install "patches" that anhance or change the OS.

You can install themes to change the view of webOS.

As mentioned before: With "preware" you even can install new kernels (the OS basic) which gives you the capability to tweek all kind of kernel settings e.g. overclocking (OC).

BTW: You may even install Dr.Battery and tweek you battery a bit ;-)
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Its reaaaaaaaaaly simple. There isnt no rigid steps to follow to take advantage of the phone. But ill give a few.

Activate it and turn it on, set up palm profile. Make sure its upgraded to the newest firmware/os using the update app(built into the phone). I'd also look at a few of the how to videos and guides so you can familiarize your self with webos which should happen fairly quickly.
    Pics but Vz. Still same:http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/k....html?id=28986 Sprint palm tut: http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb2/na.../23092_en.html
    whatever u wanna know on the OS: http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb2/na...n/page_en.html

Enable Developer mode on the Pixi - This can be done on your device by typing "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart", opening the DeveloperMode app, and enabling the feature.

Download WebosQuick install.: http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-v4-1-1-a.html - just follow all his instructions.

Load Preware onto the phone.

From the Preware app on the phone you can download overclocking kernels like UberKeneral to Overclock the phone to 800mhz and have compache enabled. HUGE speed and performance difference and dosent straight kill your battery life. Make sure you get govnah to so you can manage the OC settings live. After you download these all youll need to do is simply restart or phone to luna restart which itll ask you to do automatically after you download the kernel. - http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pi...rclocking.html

Make sure you have the webos doctor for you version just in-case anything goes wrong which is hardly ever will. Id download save and restore off of preware to so already combined with your palm profile(backs ups most of the phones info to the cloud) saves all info periodically on your phone. webosdoctor downloader(serial number can be found in the info app)- http://ws.palm.com/webosdoctor/sorry.htm#

Then if you want themes, or patches (we dont need roms.) Just simply go into preware go into the desired category and download what you want.(A 2 min affair) Simple as that. All mostly inclusive guide- http://www.precentral.net/getting-st...-quick-install

I can do all this in like 20 minutes. Easily, Half of that is rebooting the phone.
    Last edited by giggles; 06/17/2011 at 09:12 AM.
    Wow, all of this information from everyone is EXACTLY what I was looking for...thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    One more tip: This forum has a "thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    One more tip: This forum has a "thanks" button.
    not if your on the mobile version with your pixi

I have to agree with everything said above. The kernel from uber for OCing (in preware) makes this phone so much more functional. In the patch section you will find something that makes WebOS truly amazing. The ability to change OS functions to your liking with patches. Everything from displaying your battery % as a # to how your menus and apps are displayed.

I don't think it was mentioned so I will say it. If you find preware and the like useful (dont worry, you will) consider donating to WebOS Internals as they are mostly responsible for the upgrades, patches, apps, preware and the like. They have done a lot for us WebOS lovers/users.
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    This is excellent....thank you everyone!!!!!!! This could probably make a good pinned/sticky thread...lol.
    This could probably make a good pinned/sticky thread...lol.
    It will probably not since this is the way this forum works.
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Either way, you guys are awesome...thank you all once again!!!

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Gentlemen,

A quick update...

I am now up and running in 'HomeBrew' mode. I was able to load 'Preware' through WebOS Quick Install...and from there was able to load a variety of apps.

I have already loaded the following just to name a few:

- Save/Restore

- UberKernel

- Govnah

- Dr.Battery

Here are a few quick questions for you all:

1. - When I downloaded WebOSDoctor...it was basically a Jar file that once executed...seems to download the full .exe/msi file, then runs in 'auto' mode in order to perform the WebOSDoctor functions.

Is there a way to get hold of the full .exe file so it doesn't have to re-download every time I run it (I started looking within the Temp files)?

2. - I downloaded UberKernel as was suggested. Am I right in assuming that by simply downloading/installing UberKernal...it only provides the ability to OverClock...but that only through an app like Govnah can I actually change the OC settings?

3. - Also, if I use the built-in 'Backup' app just by itself (either Pixi or Palm Pre) does that also backup and restore 'Contacts'?

4. - What extra features does 'Save/Restore' provide, in addition to the built-in 'Backup' app? For example...does it backup Themes?

5. - Can anyone recommend (if it even exists) an alternative app or an app that can do the following:

- New/Improved MP3 & Video Player

- WiFi Network Browser

- An FTP Client so that I can access/login and download files from an FTP server...directly into the internal storage of the Palm Pixi?

- An FTP Server so that I can transfer files to the phone via the FTP protocol, either through WiFi/3G/USB Cable?

- A killer SSH client

- Access to the Linux CLI/Shell (in WebOS) directly from the phone? So far, I can do this through WOSQI when the phone is connected via USB. It would be nice to have a good 'Terminal' app of sorts so that I can access the Linux CLI from the phone.

- An alternative messaging app(s)

- Any kind of patch/app that would make it easier to sync multiple accounts on different platforms (GMail/Facebook/Yahoo/Etc.), for Contact Info/Email/Messages/Calendar functions and etc?

- Also, at this point should I even be considering the experimental WebOS 2.1.x?

I realize that there are hundreds if not thousands of Homebrew apps out there, so your recommendations are extremely important.

Thank you!!

BJ
    Hi biggjoe,

since you where new here we gave you a first start.
    We invested a lot of time searching and learning in the forum but we don't want to answer the same question 100 times.
    It's not a good idea, to have multiple topics in one thread. Nobody will find them.
    Each topic should have (and already has) its own thread.
    Each homebrew app has a support thread. Some even have a wiki page.

So please start searching, reading, learning and if you have a specific question post it in the associated thread or in a new thread (if you havent found one)

The search function in the forum is not so "optimal" to say it nicely.
    Better way is to use google.
    In the search field type:
    site:forums.precentral.net <your search string>
    without the <>
    BTW: Thanks for choosing my app ;-)
    3. - Also, if I use the built-in 'Backup' app just by itself (either Pixi or Palm Pre) does that also backup and restore 'Contacts'
    For full details on what the built-in Backup app backs up, see Palm Support : Palm Pixi for Sprint - Using Backup
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Gentlemen,

A quick update...

I am now up and running in 'HomeBrew' mode. I was able to load 'Preware' through WebOS Quick Install...and from there was able to load a variety of apps.

I have already loaded the following just to name a few:

- Save/Restore

- UberKernel

- Govnah

- Dr.Battery

Here are a few quick questions for you all:
    1. - When I downloaded WebOSDoctor...it was basically a Jar file that once executed...seems to download the full .exe/msi file, then runs in 'auto' mode in order to perform the WebOSDoctor functions.

Is there a way to get hold of the full .exe file so it doesn't have to re-download every time I run it (I started looking within the Temp files)?
    You shouldn't be downloading the WebOS Doctor unless your phone becomes unusable. The only reason it would be downloaded is for the Novacom drivers, which are now standalone in the latest version of WebOS Quick Install.
    2. - I downloaded UberKernel as was suggested. Am I right in assuming that by simply downloading/installing UberKernal...it only provides the ability to OverClock...but that only through an app like Govnah can I actually change the OC settings?
    Theoretically, you don't need to install Govnah, because once you install Uberkernel you should be running at 1Ghz, but it's best to install Govnah because you can modify voltage settings and I/O & TCP settings.
    3. - Also, if I use the built-in 'Backup' app just by itself (either Pixi or Palm Pre) does that also backup and restore 'Contacts'?
    It only restores contacts on the 'Palm Profile', but you can easily export ALL your contacts into a .vcf file as seen here: Export all your contacts | PreCentral.net
    4. - What extra features does 'Save/Restore' provide, in addition to the built-in 'Backup' app? For example...does it backup Themes?
    Themes are an install/uninstall basis. Backup only does things like backing up contacts, backing up what accounts that were in synergy(but not the passwords), has all the apps you've downloaded from the App Catalog, app launcher pages, bookmarks etc. Save/Restore will backup the apps settings, saved files, etc so you can Save that app, and let's say your phone becomes unusable at some point and you need to use WebOS Doctor to restore it to factory settings. The media partition isn't overwritten, so your Save/Restore files are all still there, so you just install Save/Restore again, and hit Select All then Restore and all your apps are literally just as you left them. So if you had just beaten Angry Birds, all your levels will be unlocked again, or if you had saved profiles in Govnah, they're all there, or if you had specific settings for an app, they're all there.
    5. - Can anyone recommend (if it even exists) an alternative app or an app that can do the following:

- New/Improved MP3 & Video Player
    A good MP3 player would be Koto Player or Music(Remix). There are others such as Audiophile that are also good.

- WiFi Network Browser
    As far as I know there's only the one that comes with the phone..works fine for me.

- An FTP Client so that I can access/login and download files from an FTP server...directly into the internal storage of the Palm Pixi?

- An FTP Server so that I can transfer files to the phone via the FTP protocol, either through WiFi/3G/USB Cable?

- A killer SSH client
    Check this out: How to manage files on your phone from your computer [Tutorial] | WebOS World

- Access to the Linux CLI/Shell (in WebOS) directly from the phone? So far, I can do this through WOSQI when the phone is connected via USB. It would be nice to have a good 'Terminal' app of sorts so that I can access the Linux CLI from the phone.
    Check out SDLTerminal.

- An alternative messaging app(s)
    From what I've read, most aren't that good. There's a patch that allows many other Messaging accounts such as ICQ and MSN Messenger into the default Messaging account, but as for the App Catalog there's IM+, mundu IM, and you can also go to things like Meebo &mdash; Together is better from your phone and use that.

- Any kind of patch/app that would make it easier to sync multiple accounts on different platforms (GMail/Facebook/Yahoo/Etc.), for Contact Info/Email/Messages/Calendar functions and etc?
    There are patches that allow further syncing for the Gmail calender, but 2.x has an Accounts app that has all your accounts in a single area.
    - Also, at this point should I even be considering the experimental WebOS 2.1.x?
    The Palm Pixi cannot run 2.x(even though there ARE screenshots of people using it, it's not for consumer use)
    I realize that there are hundreds if not thousands of Homebrew apps out there, so your recommendations are extremely important.

Thank you!!

BJ
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Another word about backups. Your phone should perform a backup to your Palm Profile every day. This is important to be sure that all the app catalog apps you've downloaded would be restored after using the doctor.

You can also use the Palm Backup to store your contacts and calendar, but several members reported problems a while back about the profile not being able to restore contacts. Many of us use google as our default backup for contacts and calendar. It is convenient because you can apply it across platforms and it also has the benefit of giving you a desktop interface should you choose to use it.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    To correct what jake said,

Go into govnah and select one of the default OC' profiles highest u can pick in 806. You do have to have govnah installed to turn it on.

And 2.1 and run on a pixi multiple users have been able to successfully use it. But nothing that you should jump into.

Also you said this is a sprint pixi for your son? Wifi dosent work unless you do a commboad switch. And im curious why he would need more then some of this advance and basic setup.

Music app wise, NanPlayer is def the best performing and best looking. Koto and remix is good to. If you want one that pulls minimal system resources amigo is the way to go.

And after your phone syncs facebook,yahoo,gmail. all these will automatically backed up to your palm profile and you wont need to worry about them, or just use google.. and any extra patches arent need to extra messeging patches because the ones through the phone work the best.

And a simple terminal app just like one on linux would be terminal in preware.

And I thought you had s sprint pixi WiFi is built in unless you do a comm board switch. and if this is for your sun why would he need more then some of this basic or advance setup.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast