Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    About 5 months ago I switched to this phone....

While I do like the os.....the phone sucks

Anytime I ever need something to work seamlessly it always drops the ball. Just yesterday I needed my gps to work and it took 8 minutes for the thing to start.

Prior to this I had an iphone and while I enjoy some of the functionality of palm it just doesnt hold a candlestick to other smartphones....

Sometimes I wonder if all you Palm lovers have been living in a bubble a bit a too long....Maybe you have no idea as to how quick and reliable other phones are....bc there are way to many hitches in my phone to even compare it to other smartphones...

There I vented.
    Quote Originally Posted by brianharr123 View Post
    So I am recently unemployed and needed some extra cash....sold my iphone 4g and bought a used pixi plus on att

I was not really expecting much to be honest but I have been pleasantly surprised....I really like web os...alot

I could use a bigger screen and certain functionalities are slow...but all in all I really like the phone....I love the clicky nature of the qwerty and love the web searching...love the card system

I feel like, while its maybe not as smooth as apple, it makes for a deeper appreciation....Its a smartphone for the seasoned and intelligent

any apps to get? must haves
    Sorry but I'm confused... It's June now and March is five months ago?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Well, this is the right community to help you. I don't have a Pixi but there has been lots of good homebrew stuff done to improve the Pre+ GPS... not sure if it's directly related but it would be worth checking in to those patches. And the overclocking stuff has made a lot of Pixi users very happy.

The Veer is an awesome alternative to the Pixi+, but check out the forums and ask questions about whatever is specifically bothering you. It's probably been discussed, and there is probably a patch to address your need. That's what makes it different than a locked-down iPhone. webOS was built for tweaking and patching.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I'm not an iPhone owner, but I've been using my unlocked Pixi Plus for a couple of months now, and I like it. Plusses include the OS, Synergy, multitasking and the form factor. I was aware of the big minus: paltry RAM. OP, maybe you should just treat your PP like I do mine: a stop-gap smartphone. Within the next few months I'll be looking at a Pre3 or iPhone 4S/5 (if the latter comes out), and relegate my PP for use as my Wi-Fi only personal line.
    Sometimes I wonder if all you Palm lovers have been living in a bubble a bit a too long....Maybe you have no idea as to how quick and reliable other phones are....bc there are way to many hitches in my phone to even compare it to other smartphones...
    Just because your particular phone is broken doesn't mean that all Pixis are broken. Mine has been rock solid since I got it last September. Never had a problem with my GPS and it is probably my most-used app.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    relax dude...i didn't know I posted in a forum for detectives and seceret agents...lol...

since I got the phone my opinion has changed completely....

If you are adventurous you can explore some homebrew options to increase the speed some. However just to be clear - the Pixi is a low end smart phone in the webOS world. This phone has less memory, lower speed processor, and lower screen resolution than the Pre, Pre Plus, Pre2, or Veer*. The Pre2 or Veer run circles around that phone - comparing the Pixi / or Pixi Plus to the iPhone is a bit of stretch given the limitations of the phone - particularly since only the Pre2 and Veer are current models.

If you like webOS you owe it to yourself to look at a Pre2 or Veer or wait a little while longer and check the Pre3 out when it comes out. The Veer is the smallest of these with a screen with the same resolution as the Pixi/Pixi Plus, the Pre2 has a screen with the same resolution as the Pre and Pre Plus, and the Pre3 has the largest and higest resolution screen of the bunch.

In any case, don't compare Apples to Pixies... unless you make allowance for performance.

(*Veer has the same resolution screen as the Pixi/Pixi Plus.)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    good catch!
    Anytime I ever need something to work seamlessly it always drops the ball. Just yesterday I needed my gps to work and it took 8 minutes for the thing to start.
    One more thing - the webOS world has seen a lot of problem with Verizon's GPS on the Pre Plus - the same basic hardware on AT&T does not show similar problems - this appears to be an issue with how Palm and VZW partnered and how they configured the AGPS setup on the phone. Newer code running on Pre Pluses (2.1 webOS) seems to have very little of the previous GPS challenges (not 100% consistent across all people's experiences). This seems to confirm that the hardware is not faulty but that some kind of miscommunication is happening on the AGPS side.

There are some patches that MAY help. Your experience may vary greatly. GPS Fix is a patch that runs periodically to get GPS data and keep it more up to date - that patch uses a bit of power but works reasonably well.

Prior to this I had an iphone and while I enjoy some of the functionality of palm it just doesnt hold a candlestick to other smartphones....

There I vented.
    I get this feeling from time to time.
    Then it passes.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    One more thing - the webOS world has seen a lot of problem with Verizon's GPS on the Pre Plus - the same basic hardware on AT&T does not show similar problems - this appears to be an issue with how Palm and VZW partnered and how they configured the AGPS setup on the phone. Newer code running on Pre Pluses (2.1 webOS) seems to have very little of the previous GPS challenges (not 100% consistent across all people's experiences). This seems to confirm that the hardware is not faulty but that some kind of miscommunication is happening on the AGPS side.

There are some patches that MAY help. Your experience may vary greatly. GPS Fix is a patch that runs periodically to get GPS data and keep it more up to date - that patch uses a bit of power but works reasonably well.
    I am on att....using google maps
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Then it passes.
    I do love web os....but its just lacking in other areas...

maybe this pre 3 will be much better
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    Then it passes.
    ...like gas?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    good catch!
    I literally spit my coffee out and I wasnt even drinking any....Good catch? Really Bro? I was like a month off......

either way I don't understand you two thinking that has any bearing on my opinion now....strange...It's like you're personally offended my opinion has changed...
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Hey bro check out the experimental pixi overclocking thread. Try overclocking and enabling swap. Your phone will run alot smoother. And the gps issue I dont really have that problem on sprint. But Id try using the web version of google maps. That someone enabled awhile ago.
    I literally spit my coffee out and I wasnt even drinking any....Good catch? Really Bro? I was like a month off.....
    i wasn't offended, I was impressed that he remembered your previous post and connected the dots to see you go from being impressed to being so unhappy. hopefully we can help you figure out if the GPS issue is faulty hardware, because everything else has a solution from the homebrew geniuses around here.
    fyi, the gps issues with verizon are unique because of how vzw implemented gps. They didn't use they same architecture as other carriers, and didn't provide api's to handset makers until a few months ago. That's why the Pre2 doesn't have the same issue.

webos devices have not had the same issues on sprint or at&t. The OP may have had a one-time issue, or he may have a hardware/software issue.

and every gps radio benefits from access to wifi so it will have a jump start on what towers/satellites to start with.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    i wasn't offended, I was impressed that he remembered your previous post and connected the dots to see you go from being impressed to being so unhappy. hopefully we can help you figure out if the GPS issue is faulty hardware, because everything else has a solution from the homebrew geniuses around here.
    Remembered?? He looked at my profile....
    ^ So maybe instead of taking your thread off-topic every time you post, you could respond to some of the suggestions people have made that might help improve your experience.

webOS 2.x devices are much-improved in many areas, including responsiveness. So yes, it's a safe bet that the Pre3 will blow away the Pixi Plus. The Pre2 already does.
    webOS user since 20090606.
  20.    #20  
    Just took my palm pixi 9 minutes to start.......9 minutes...9

cue the excuses...or cue the stupid "patch" i need to download
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast