Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GenTarkin
  1.    #1  
    So, if anyone wants, you can actually install the quickoffice thats on webos 2.0+ into 1.4.5 quite easily. It offers more functionality than "docview".
    It can read documents from several hosted accounts such as google docs, dropbox and more.

So, to install it. Download webos doctor file from
    Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

I used this one:
    http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/veer/...p160unaatt.jar

Extract the .jar to a folder, then in the resources folder, extract the WebOS tar to a folder, then in that folder extract the biggest tar to a folder.

In that folder go into usr\palm\applications

At the bottom you will hopefully see the quickoffice folder.

Next:
    Download this:
    http://ipk-packager.googlecode.com/f...20Packager.jar

Once downloaded, open it. Then, next to folder field select "..."
    Scroll to the quickoffice folder as outlined above. Select the quickoffice folder itself and then OK.
    Next put the arch to armv6 (pixi/pixi plus)

Then select create IPK.

Next either send it to your usb drive on your pixi over USB cable or email it as an attachment to an account which your pixi is hooked up too.

Make sure you have preware installed and set as IPK association manager .. then download the attachment.
    Or on usb drive try to open IPK.
    Should open w/ preware.
    Then select install.

Grats now you have quickoffice.
    It may take opening it once , tryin to open a document and may get error. Close it then open again and opens documents fine for me.
    Tested opening local docs on pixi and docs on my dropbox account =)
    rch4him likes this.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Thanks bro!
    Good info. I'll check back later to see if you've encountered any bugs or glitches in your testing. You can be the guinea pig.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Has anyone gotten this to work yet
  5.    #5  
    Mines been working fine =), just one thing I noticed...dont update it to the 2.0x version listed in palm catalog, it dont work then. Just stick to the version Ive posted.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Just wanted to say thanks. This worked great on my Verizon pixi and I didn't even get the error on the first try, it just worked.
    Very nice post, I do appreciate people experimenting with bringing new features to the older legacy WebOS devices like the new QuickOffice found in 2.0 WebOS. It's nice to see that it could be successful to bring WebOS new features like the QuickOffice- I would like to throw this post to Palms little-stupid faces to show those people that it could be done to bring WebOS 2.0 to the Palm Pixi Plus. A food for thought, Has anyone tried doing this with the Text Assist application it would be nice to bring Text-Assist to my old Palm Pixi Plus.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    It took me a little while to follow the instructions. Once I realized I needed to expand the tar.gz file, I was home free. It worked for me on the second open after a Luna restart. Thank you so much for the effort. This is great as I have a few spreadsheets I wanted to work with.
    why cant we just link ipks again?
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I just wanted to say thanks it worked like a charm.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    Next:
    Download this:
    http://ipk-packager.googlecode.com/f...20Packager.jar

Once downloaded, open it. Then, next to folder field select "..."
    Scroll to the quickoffice folder as outlined above. Select the quickoffice folder itself and then OK.
    Next put the arch to armv6 (pixi/pixi plus)

Then select create IPK.

Next either send it to your usb drive on your pixi over USB cable or email it as an attachment to an account which your pixi is hooked up too.

Make sure you have preware installed and set as IPK association manager .. then download the attachment.
    Or on usb drive try to open IPK.
    Should open w/ preware.
    Then select install.

Grats now you have quickoffice.
    It may take opening it once , tryin to open a document and may get error. Close it then open again and opens documents fine for me.
    Tested opening local docs on pixi and docs on my dropbox account =)
    Can you this with any *.jar file??

Thx!
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Installed, thanks. How do I associate email files to open now with Quick Office rather than Doc View?
    www.lgwebos.com user to user support.
    I found under the application manager how to change the default application to use when opening file types. I checked off quick office for .doc, docx, .xls,.xslx,.ppt...etc.From an email, a word document willlnow open using quick office, but an excel document will still use docview, even though I checked off quickoffice in the application manager.
    www.lgwebos.com user to user support.
    Hello,

Saw instructions for installing QuickOffice on a WebOS 1.4.5 device (Pixi Plus). They include this cryptic (to me, at least) directive:

"Next put the arch to armv6 (pixi/pixi plus)). How do I do that? Thanks.

Dennis
    Thanks. Now, what is the actual advantage of QuckOffice over Docs to Go (which was/is a very productive app for me on my Palm Tungsten E2)? Using a Palm Pixi Plus for about a month - haven't really done more than view .doc files with DtG. Is the advantage of QuickOffice that it can open spreadsheets and slide show and that DtG can't?

Thanks.

Dennis
    I installed this on my palm pixi but i used internalz pro instead of preware to install the ipk...i keep receiving an error message that it cant open the file...could it be because i didnt use preware???
    Mine Pixi Plus AT&T
    can't find: usr\palm\applications, there's even no folder at all within pixieumtsfw.tar (biggest tar inside webos.tar)
    I downloaded webosdoctorp121ewwatt.jar
    thanks in advance
    Thanks.