1.    #1  
    I acquired a palm pixi plus, because I want the qwerty, calendar, mp3, camara basics. But I DON'T want a data plan. (Can't afford it!) I have a Verizon contract. (Old phone lost/stolen).
    Does anyone know a workaround that a fossil can use to activate the Verizon number? I cannot even get the phone to "dial" without activating it. I followed the screen prompt, used a landline to call Verizon, and was told I'd have to get a data plan even though I didn't get their "free phone" through Verizon.
    Help?

(If I can't do this, guide me to how to use it as a pda and I'll give it to my teen for school)
    Hi janepalm,
    Take a look at the Meta-Doctor thread. It should be able help answer your questions.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ta-doctor.html
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    i can tell you with absolute certainty that if you want to use your verizon cell number on that pixi that you WILL HAVE TO ADD DATA. there isnt a work around or exception for this....
    if you are going to use it with voice (as an actual mobile phone...) a data plan is required.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    if you are going to use it with voice (as an actual mobile phone...) a data plan is required.
    I don't want to highjack the thread but can you explain that to an German GSM user? I could activate a Pixi with the bypass tool, switch data off and use it as a phone in Germany.
    Quote Originally Posted by janepalm View Post
    I acquired a palm pixi plus, because I want the qwerty, calendar, mp3, camara basics. But I DON'T want a data plan. (Can't afford it!) I have a Verizon contract. (Old phone lost/stolen).
    Does anyone know a workaround that a fossil can use to activate the Verizon number? I cannot even get the phone to "dial" without activating it. I followed the screen prompt, used a landline to call Verizon, and was told I'd have to get a data plan even though I didn't get their "free phone" through Verizon.
    Help?

(If I can't do this, guide me to how to use it as a pda and I'll give it to my teen for school)
    In the past we've been able to talk the CS reps into not adding data plans to "data plan required" phones. If push comes to shove you could also indicate that you're strongly considering terminating your current contract.

I assume that your current contract was for a dumbphone with no data plan? If so the ETF is pretty cheap. If after that you still want to use that Pixi you bought for Verizon you could then sign up for a PagePlus prepaid service, since they use Verizon's network, and port your number over. If you're going to do that, I'd personally recommend kittywireless.com as your authorized dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    I don't want to highjack the thread but can you explain that to an German GSM user? I could activate a Pixi with the bypass tool, switch data off and use it as a phone in Germany.
    Verizon is a CDMA carrier. CDMA data networks can have their own rules for phone activation where GSM networks have to follow a standard. One of Verizon's rules is that plan features, including data plans link to the device rather than a person's contract. Only voice minutes and/or unlimited SMS actually link to the contract.
    I hope you are very wrong about this as I just ordered a pixi assuming I could change my number without adding a data plan as I did last year with a treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by uconnpat View Post
    I hope you are very wrong about this as I just ordered a pixi assuming I could change my number without adding a data plan as I did last year with a treo 700p
    As far as I know the Treo 700p didn't require a data plan on Verizon. Check this link out:

Re: discontinued phones with qwerty - Verizon Wireless Community

Most of the phones (if not all) on this list are not considered 3G SmartPhones and thus are not subject to the manditory requirement for the data plan.

If you want to activate a smartphone on VZW without a data plan. I agree with the earlier post - use Kittywireless and PagePlus service. Depending on useage you could save a TON of money. 1200mins / 1200 txts is $29.95 a month as an example. If you prefer you can also buy time - an $80 card lasts 1 year (at most) and mins are roughly $0.06 cents each when purchased that way.

My daughter is currently using a Pre Plus on Page Plus because we did not want her to have data plan access - only wifi.

As for changing devices and keeping the number? You can port the number in via Pageplus. Kitty charges for this. Pageplus without a dealer does not as I recall. However the hold times can be a pain on Pageplus direct - so I think the money is worth it to use a dealer who does things electronically. For example , ESN change is $5 from Kitty and free from Pageplus. I tried three times to stay on hold long enough for the ESN change, gave up, paid $5 and had it done within 5 mins via Kitty.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    the explanation is simple. Verizon doesnt allow modern smartphones on there network without a data plan. They will allow it for a centro or treo, but nothing newer than that. Its their network and they make the rules. Sorry.