Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Ok, I don't believe this to be true as I have heard from some in the Veer forum, but the general belief is that owners of current devices will all have upgrades. Both Pre and Pixi owners, and possibly a new slab to market.

So far there has been no announcement of a new Pixi or 'pro' like device for users who were at once Treo and Centro users who migrated to the Pixi. Both Samsung and Motorola have fairly recent new devices in the Galaxy Pro and Droid Pro respectively, so the market for Treo-like devices still lives on.

- Our Palm Pixi's are currently at 1.4.5 with no 2.x in sight

- HP supporters claim that there are new phones coming in March 2011 beside the Veer and Pre3.

- The veer is obviously not a clear upgrade path for a Pixi.
    -- There is a smaller, non-removable battery -2
    -- it is a slider -1
    -- lacks a built-in headphone jack -1
    -- lacks a built-in micro-usb port -1

Does anyone know if there is really going to be some device that Pixi owners can upgrade to for the new line of WebOS?
    I think the Pixi might have been abandoned. They probably think the Veer, Pre 3, and a slab are good enough and aren't going to bother with a new candybar. But who knows, we'll just have to wait and see what's announced. The slab is still a weak rumor that could turn out wrong.
    id be happy with a new pixi with the screen size of the pre. kthnx
    The Veer is the replacement for the Pixi.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    The Veer is the replacement for the Pixi.
    If afraid this is true. If you look at the Veer, it appears to be what would happen if you mated a Pixi with a Pre 2. Indeed, the Veer has the Pixi's screen in a form factor that's smaller than the similar Pre 2's. And from what I can tell, the Veer's performance is similar to the Pre 2. I had been recently considering a Pre 2 or Veer, but I'm glad I eventually got the Pixi Plus. I love this form factor mainly because of the clicky keyboard and lack of a potentially tempermental slider.
    I wish the pixi would get upgraded. Candybar > Slide. The veer is just plain ugly in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I thought I listed many reasons why the Veer is a regression coming from the Pixi.

There is yet another candybar treo-like device out now. That makes 3 new recent devices that Android manufacturers saw fit to create:

Droid Pro -- Released 11/2010
    Galaxy Pro -- Released 3/2011
    Samsung Replenish -- Released 5/2011

Yet HPalm has no candybar on the horizon.
    Last edited by libray; 05/17/2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
    The replenish is almost identical hardware as the Pixi. Same 2-yr old cpu, screen size, color, etc. Going after the low-end Android market with it. All things considered, I guess the Pixi is pretty competitive.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Yeah, I have my current Pixi and another I picked as standby up for when the current one fails. Until something better comes to the market, I'd rather use my old hardware on 1.4.5.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
    I'm hoping.

If the slab is actually more than just a rumor, it would appear that HP is attempting to satisfy varying form factors.

Even the manufacturers utilizing the Android platform have sought to satisfy those who prefer a candy bar type design.

Why wouldn't HP follow suit? It makes sense.
    I am hoping so.

If the slab design rumor is legitimate, it would appear that HP is trying to satisfy all/most preferences. Even the manufacturers utilizing the Android platform have offered up units to allure those who prefer the candybar form factor. It only makes sense that HP would do likewise (eventually).
    Sorry about the double post. My PC led me to believe my initial reply didn't go through.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Coming in June to Sprint are two more candybar Androids where my beloved Pixi was once the best candybar on Sprint

- Motorola XPRT (the Droid Pro for Sprint)
    - Motorola Titanium (rugged business phone)

The count for a new Treo/Pixi like device is now: Android (5) HP (0).
    This is all just speculation and theorizing, but if HP is to keep up with their "new device every 2 months" mantra, and keep up with their "S,M,L" ecosystem then I have this theory to propose:

Feb 11th announcement:

Small - Veer

Medium - Pre 3

Large - 10" Touchpad

I personally would love to see an October announcement for 3 new devices:

Small - Pixi 2

Medium - Stingray Slab (leaked)

Large - 7" Touchpad (stated as a Q4 release many times)

As far as the Pixi 2, since it would be a low end device I think that it should just have the internals of the Pre 2

1Ghz Processor
    512mb ram
    16gb storage
    5mp camera

And for the piece de la resistance:

a 320x480 screen with a virtual gesture area.

What do I mean by that? well, the gesture area would just be a bar of black at the bottom on a Pre sized screen that would be flush with the keys.
    when the gesture area is enabled, the screen resizes to 320x400. When viewing web content, movies, yotube videos or in landscape mode, the gesture area can be swiped away so that you can use the whole 320x480 screen.

Thus the size of the pixi would remain the same, but with the option of a larger screen when you want, and a gesture area when you want it.

It would just be great to see webos on a huge ecosystem of smartphones, a slider, slab and candybar format.
    Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    Sorry about the double post. My PC led me to believe my initial reply didn't go through.
    why not just delete your second post, instead of making a third one.

You can delete them by hitting edit, and then delete.
    I'm still in love with the Pixi's ability to really 'just type' without having to slide out the keyboard. Alas, I think it is an abandoned form factor. :-(
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I really hope not, I love my Pixi and how easy to use and pocket friendly it is. The keyboard is probably my favorite part about it. I would love to see a Pixi2 type device in the future running 2.2 or higher. It would definitely be my phone of choice and a lot of people I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bru3184 View Post
    I really hope not, I love my Pixi and how easy to use and pocket friendly it is. The keyboard is probably my favorite part about it. I would love to see a Pixi2 type device in the future running 2.2 or higher. It would definitely be my phone of choice and a lot of people I know.
    That's exactly how I fell, but a) I have high hopes for the Pre 3's keyboard and b) I don't think this will ever happen. So unless you like the status quo, you're forced to go on. :-/
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I would like a Pixi 2 with the Pre 2 screen size. However, I would like an updated camera than the Pre 2's version. However, if they use the same Pixi Plus form factor I would be happy. I think the Pixi Plus just needed 512 MB of ram and it would be perfect in reality.
    Waiting it out seems to be the best strategy. In July 2008, I'll never forget when I got the Treo 800w, the Treo Pro came out weeks later. Not gonna let that happen again!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast