Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Know what's even worse? That the HTC Hero didn't get updated to Gingerbread. And that the 3GS only got gimped iOS4.

Old devices will eventually not be supported anymore. It's an absolutely normal cycle. The "problem" with webOS is that it missed a product cycle due to bankruptcy, buyout and direction change. Will anybody seriously fault HP for wanting to move forward at maximum speed rather than move backward and focus on old hardware instead?
    That's fine, but what's with telling us it WILL be available, then going back and changing mind?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I understand that support dropping for older model phones is expected, but I think a large part of the issue is that the phone lacks some things that make the drop of support hard. In particular, voice dialing and the lack of available media APIs (and in the Pixi's case, the lack of push on Palm's part to make more PDK games available on the Pixi, which would have helped their Veer launch as well). Palm really should have tried to put on an incremental update to disable these, especially when it became clear that they were going to miss a product cycle. But instead, Palm deliberately stringed people on with promises of 2.x updates knowing full well they weren't going to provide them, neglecting even to tell the Developer Relations team that ultimately were not going to be providing a 2.x upgrade for older devices. HP and Palm have deliberately decided to view their old userbase as expendable and bank on the success of their newer devices with a wider audience.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    That's fine, but what's with telling us it WILL be available, then going back and changing mind?
    This is the problem here. You don't need to give us the old hardware shpiel. We've all owned computers that are obsoleted in a couple of years. The thing is, none of the PC manufacturers promised an OS upgrade. Palm did, and then they unceremoniously announced they were just kidding and that they will somehow "make things right".

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Xethur View Post
    Microsoft - when a new version of windows comes out they do there best to make the old version disappear.
    Yeah, like when they killed Windows XP in 2006 with the Windows Vista introduct... um ... well, maybe in 2014 for real with the Windows 7 launch? After 13 years?
    anyways. get a pre 2 or pre plus. if pre 3 comes ti sprint ill get it.
    if not get an android ( evo 3d )
    Wow. I am a Pixi+ owner. I don't feel slighted or neglected. Nor am I angry. My phone is functional and fun. Is it cutting edge? Not anymore. Maybe it never was. Truth is, I still prefer it over much of the new hardware on the other platforms.

I am excited to get my hands on the new HP devices. Until then, I will happily use my Pixi+.
    Op, I couldn't agree with you more.so I switched to tune nexus s last week.I'm really happy I did.I'm loving all the possibilities android offers.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    Wow. I am a Pixi+ owner. I don't feel slighted or neglected. Nor am I angry. My phone is functional and fun. Is it cutting edge? Not anymore. Maybe it never was. Truth is, I still prefer it over much of the new hardware on the other platforms.

I am excited to get my hands on the new HP devices. Until then, I will happily use my Pixi+.
    I can see how it wouldn't matter much to an end-user, especially if you're happy with your phone, but Palm dropping support for "legacy" devices has a strong effect on developers. Many developers were developing features that depended on 2.1, expecting that version to drop on all phones. We didn't expect that Palm would instead drop support. Now you have to think twice about having a critical feature that might make it difficult for your current user base to use your app. It especially hurts after you've taken the time to support the Pixi.

Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I can see how it wouldn't matter much to an end-user, especially if you're happy with your phone, but Palm dropping support for "legacy" devices has a strong effect on developers. Many developers were developing features that depended on 2.1, expecting that version to drop on all phones. We didn't expect that Palm would instead drop support. Now you have to think twice about having a critical feature that might make it difficult for your current user base to use your app. It especially hurts after you've taken the time to support the Pixi.

I apologize. I was only considering the issue from my perspective. I hadn't considered how it might hinder a developer. Thank you for supporting the Pixi.
    Quote Originally Posted by leebae View Post
    I apologize. I was only considering the issue from my perspective. I hadn't considered how it might hinder a developer. Thank you for supporting the Pixi.
    Yep. What they have done makes it very hard to take a 1.4.x app and add 2.x specific features. Use of some features requires setting the minimum OS version to 2.1, so you can't keep one app version for both. So you either lock out 1.4.x users (by far the bulk of current users) from the app, or you don't add those features. Or, you have to create (and maintain ) a separate version, and users would have to buy a new copy (thankfully, now with promo codes, there may be a way to give out promo codes to existing users to allow them to upgrade).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12