Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm new to the forums so to intoroduce myself, I am Jacob. i wanted to pass on my thanks to the people on this forum for all that you have done.

My Story: I have had sprint forever now and with Palm since i found out they had phones on sprint with the Centro. I very happy with both. So somehow i broke the touch screen on my Pixi and was starting to really consider jumping ship to andriod with the HTC shift untill i found this forum. I stumbled across a post about putting a verizon radio board in a sprint Pixi to obtain Wifi. Ingenius! I took it one step further and bought a $25 verizon Pixi plus with a bad ESN off ebay. that netted me a scrachless screen, a second charger, and wifi. Then i stumbled across patches and homebrew apps. Do i need to say more? After adding or removing everything i wanted or didn't I started to look closer at the Overclocking thread. Accomplished that and i can honestly say i will be sticking with the Pixi for some time to come. with a heavly modded Pixi i can handle waiting for the Veer2 (I want a 3.5mm jack on that little sucker) to finially make it to Sprint. Yes all of my horrible thoughts of jumping shipp for the HTC 4G Shift are long gone. Don't worry, i never even considered an Iphone. i don't like the way apple anything operates.

So with my story out of the way i wanted to thank the people who put in the hours and hard work to make my PlusMinus Pixi possible. I plan to send $15 on the WebOS internals on the 15th to support the cause. I good with a computer, but programing is not my porfession and because of that i've never had time to learn it.

I do have a request though. in my rush to overclock my Pixi i didn't backup a stock kernel. is there somewhere i can download one?
    in preware, you can just uninstall the kernel and the stock kernel will be reinstalled.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 05/05/2011 at 06:07 PM.
    The Veer will NOT come to Sprint or any CDMA carrier, let alone a Veer 2. The reason it's ATT exclusive and the Pre 3 will be on ATT and Verizon is because a CDMA radio is too large to fit in such a small phone.
    never say never.
    I always see people saying that there is not enough room for a CDMA radio in the Veer but I dont recall seeing something actually stating that as fact. Is that just conjecture or is it an actual fact?
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkj View Post
    I always see people saying that there is not enough room for a CDMA radio in the Veer but I dont recall seeing something actually stating that as fact. Is that just conjecture or is it an actual fact?
    I was wondering the same thing. The Veer is the smallest Smartphone, not the smallest phone. There are plenty of small dumb phones & feature phones around that size with CDMA radios, so I don't see how one can't fit in the Veer.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Also, I could be wrong but I think by volume the pixi is actually smaller.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkj View Post
    It used to be that an fm radio was too small to fit in a portable device. Now they are built in to mp3 players the size of a quarter...
  9.    #9  
    to update, I found uberkernel and it has a stock kernel built in. As far as the Veer goes, never say never. I'm sure they can make it work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xethur View Post
    I'm new to the forums so to intoroduce myself, I am Jacob.
    Dang Jake you're pretty darn smart. I had to join the forum to figure out how to take the back off of my pixi And here you are switching comm boards and screens.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/06/2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: fixed quote
    to update, I found uberkernel and it has a stock kernel built in. As far as the Veer goes, never say never. I'm sure they can make it work.
    UberKernel does not "have a stock kernel built in" it has a mode that allows you to run UberKernel with the same settings for speed, compcache, etc. as the Stock Kernel. In practice this is similar to but not identical to using the stock kernel. The stock kernel in Preware is listed in the recovery kernels and can be installed by either choosing to install it or by removing UberKernel.
  12.    #12  
    Unclevanya - found it. thank you.

Bosgarage57 - I humbly aceppt your compliment. I have been taking things apart and putting them back together for as long as I can remember
    Unclevanya - found it. thank you.

Bosgarage57 - I humbly aceppt your compliment. I have been taking things apart and putting them back together for as long as I can remember
    You are welcome. If you are inclined you can click the "thanks" button under my post to you and record your thanks.
  14.    #14  
    there isn't a thank you button on the moble site.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Yha, I found this site a solid week or so before I received my pixi, pretty much this exact date a year ago (take 2 weeks.). and My pixi has came aloooooong way from what it could of been. Preware and webosinternals and the people in the pixi overclock forum have brought my phone to new heights.
    The reason the Veer will NOT be coming to Verizon and Sprint (at least not this year) is because it is an ATT exclusive. Its in their press release. It's not about the size of the radio. I mean, in CDMA all you need is the radio. In GSM, you need radio AND sim card. That seems like more room to me.

Anyway, the size of the radio has nothing to do with it. The Veer is an AT&T exclusive.
  17.    #17  
    I really didn't mean to start a veer debate. The veer isn't even on the market yet. I liked what I saw in the reviews and am hopeful that some day it might be on the sprint network. I have time and at the moment I am very happy with my PlusMinus Pixi.
  18.    #18  
    to update again. I went back to the stock kernel from the uberkernel. I was getting random 40+ temp spikes on any of the CPU settings. I then membooted to install the first OC kernel I used. The one on page two of the OverClock sticky from twitter. My Pixi isn't as smooth as it was with uberkernel but it also doesn't freeze like it did with the stock kernel under heavy load (three or four cards running something). I do a lot of multi tasking (one of the reasons I love WebOS) and having to wait a minute or two for it to unfreeze drives me nuts. Anyway, no more temp spikes yet.
    Last edited by Xethur; 05/13/2011 at 12:48 PM.
    nice thread
  20.    #20  
    update again. I've been back uberkernel for a while. Figures out I had to memboot every time I restarted the phone. I've found with uber if I restart my phone regularly it keeps the temp spikes down. It hit 48 today but after a restart it dropped back to 37. Heavy usage and three days without a restart seem to be bad for the CPU temp. I plan to restart every night before I put it on the touchstone. We'll see if that works.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast