Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    There *had* to be a reasons that Rod said they're not supporting Cygwin anymore, right??

As long as you have the space on your hard drive... either Wubi or Virtualbox should be fairly painless to setup.

But yea, neither one of those will help if you're having proxy / network issues, I'd think. But ya never know...

Might as well just TRY both if you've got the space!! Trial and error is the only way...
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    There *had* to be a reasons that Rod said they're not supporting Cygwin anymore, right??

As long as you have the space on your hard drive... either Wubi or Virtualbox should be fairly painless to setup.

But yea, neither one of those will help if you're having proxy / network issues, I'd think. But ya never know...

Might as well just TRY both if you've got the space!! Trial and error is the only way...
    The poster said he has Win7, and he just wants to backup his Pixi, so:

1. Cygwin is not being supported at this time because for some reason it's not extracting correctly the files from the webOS Doctor, some of them are links in Linux and are being converted to zero sized files, and this makes the doctoring process either fail or get corrupted and can lead to unbootable devices or strange things happening like not being able to install apps, or not run some others correctly.

2. The backup process generates a backup of the partitions on the device, compresses them on the device and transfers them compressed (and unaltered) to the host system. As long as you don't uncompress them on a windoesn't machine you will have no issues with this.

3. Other meta doctor functions work correctly as well, like reboot, recover, etc.

4. I did modify the meta doctor and uploaded the changes to the repository, Rod checked them, made me do some corrections and left the changes there.

5. So, what Rod wanted to restrict, is still restricted. What I needed to do with the meta doctor, can be done now on every operating system meta doctor can be run. I think this wouldn't had been possible if I didn't knew what I was doing...

Now, the Wubi/Virtualbox approach involves some Linux variant, which must be downloaded (700Mb aprox), and gives the poster another layer of possible errors.

I want this to be as transparent and easy to do to the poster, and I've given the specific working steps for it to be done. The problem with the proxy is that git uses non-standard internet ports for communication. I'll fix this by sending the poster the meta doctor files directly.

As I said previously, we only need the backup function of the meta doctor, and to do that we need: Cygwin, novacom, meta doctor. And that's it.

This process has been tested and troubleshooted by myself, and I've checked the meta doctor source code to know exactly what it does, how it does it, and the reason it won't fail as the Doctors it creates in Windows.

This being said, we can continue with the original topic
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Removed for consistencies sake.
    Last edited by zefyx; 04/14/2011 at 05:01 AM.
    To be honest, Cygwin involves downloading nearly half a gig of linux-tools retrofitted onto Windows interfaces.

I think downloading one 700meg image and Virtualbox for a guaranteed working environment is actually a pretty good idea. Cygwin just gives me a "duct-tape, ready to fall apart" feeling when I do something with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by zefyx View Post
    Thank you NuttyBunny and mr.xtop.
    Removed for consistencies sake also
    Last edited by NuttyBunny; 04/14/2011 at 05:34 PM.

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightomni View Post
    To be honest, Cygwin involves downloading nearly half a gig of linux-tools retrofitted onto Windows interfaces.

I think downloading one 700meg image and Virtualbox for a guaranteed working environment is actually a pretty good idea. Cygwin just gives me a "duct-tape, ready to fall apart" feeling when I do something with it.
    Most of the tools are not "linux", but "gnu", compiled to work within the POSIX compliance Windows has, which is not perfect, but good enough for many programs to compile and run.

Besides, the meta doctor backup target (here we go again), is just a series of compressing commands sent to the device via novacom, and retrieved via the same way, it will work exactly the same way in Linux, Cygwin or MacOS, as well as Wubi since the compression is being done on the device. The problem with the virtual machine is that it needs exclusive hardware access to the usb port, and that is another layer of problems for the poster.

NuttyBunny, thanks for keeping this thread on topic. I would love to see 2.1 on my VZ Pixi Plus, and appreciate the direction you've given to the OP. In the meantime, all good things come to those who wait.
    I just want to thank the user bero who helped me debug the backup process with his Pixi.

Let's hope this work for our friend mr.xtop

I prefer Bero, just Bero

i 2 hope mr.xtop will succeed. good luck to us and many 10x NuttyBunny.
  10.    #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Ok, since we're trying to do this fairly quicky, I enabled (without Rod's permission) Meta Doctor on Windows for certain things, like backup, since it won't fail on that.

So, mr.xtop, these are the instructions:
    * Install java if you don't have it
    * Install the novacom driver, using Jason's Universal novacom installer (it will ask you to download a webos doctor file, you could select a gsm 1.4.5 pixi).
    * Install the Palm SDK (just for a stupid command) from here
    * Copy the file C:\Program Files\Palm\SDK\bin\novacom.exe to C:\windows
    * Install Cygwin on your machine, follow this file
    * Run the "Cygwin bash shell" from your windows program menu (It should be inside Cygwin)
    * Inside the shell window type the following:

Code:
    git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git
    You should get something like:
    Code:
    Initialized empty Git repository in /home/username/metadoctor/meta-doctor/meta-doctor/.git/
    remote: Counting objects: 1141, done.
    remote: Compressing objects: 100% (1116/1116), done.
    remote: Total 1141 (delta 732), reused 0 (delta 0)eceiving objects:  36% (411/11Receiving objects 191 KiB/s
    Receiving objects: 100% (1141/1141), 175.39 KiB | 127 KiB/s, done.
    Resolving deltas: 100% (732/732), done.
    Type:
    Code:
    cd meta-doctor
    mkdir downloads
    Get this file, it's a webos doctor for a AT&T Pixi Plus, it should work for this as we only need one file to boot the Pixi, save it in C:\cygwin\home\yourusername\meta-doctor\downloads, rename it to webosdoctorp121ewwatt-1.4.5.jar

Plug in your Pixi
    Type:
    Code:
    make DEVICE=pixiplus CARRIER=att memboot backup
    You will get the uncompressing messages, then your Pixi will reboot to enter a recovery mode, then you should get some unmounting messages, followed by Cloning messages, and at last some mounting messages. After that your Pixi should reboot again

This should be more than enough.

There will be a directory inside the clones directory, there's the place where the backup will be.

This should work for any device, not just a 2.1 Pixi
    ou, (
    * Install the Palm SDK (just for a stupid command) from here <-x64. I using x86 Windows 7.
    I downloading https://cdn.downloads.palm.com/sdkdo....0-519-x86.exe

Follow your old way, error:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    man if there is anyway from a remote location to get access to his win 7, and do all the required steps for him to backup that would be the best LOL..
    I have win7 x64 and always had trouble with the sdk for 64 bit. I just ended up saying f it and grtting 32 bit java and SDK.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Sure it has nothing to do with the problem but the screen capture you sent in the previous msg is Win XP isn't it ? The UI is skinned but it really looks like an XP, not a 7.

Thank you for your efforts, good luck !

Lionel
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.xtop View Post
    ou, (
    * Install the Palm SDK (just for a stupid command) from here <-x64. I using x86 Windows 7.
    I downloading https://cdn.downloads.palm.com/sdkdo....0-519-x86.exe

Follow your old way, error:
    Download this other meta doctor file, and repeat the steps I sent you on PM

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/109553191...a438231c18096a

It should work.

Quote Originally Posted by daexpression View Post
    man if there is anyway from a remote location to get access to his win 7, and do all the required steps for him to backup that would be the best LOL..
    true.. but we're not helping lol (mainly because I don't know)

good luck mr xtop!
  16.    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneill View Post
    Sure it has nothing to do with the problem but the screen capture you sent in the previous msg is Win XP isn't it ? The UI is skinned but it really looks like an XP, not a 7.

Thank you for your efforts, good luck !

Lionel
    Yes, i try again by my PC Windows 7.
    Not use Proxy and use SDK 32bit, hope for us Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.xtop View Post
    Yes, i try again by my PC Windows 7.
    Not use Proxy and use SDK 32bit, hope for us Happy
    Ah, then you can use the git command instead fof the files I sent you

I just ran through NuttyBunny's original steps Lots of unmounting and mounting now it's busy creating clones! Running on win7 x64 with 32bit java and sdk.\

Edit: Finished running! I now have a bunch of nova-cust-image-pixie.*.tar.gz files except my phone seems to be stuck in the "USB" icon mode, is that normal?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pezman726; 04/14/2011 at 06:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pezman726 View Post
    I just ran through NuttyBunny's original steps Lots of unmounting and mounting now it's busy creating clones! Running on win7 x64 with 32bit java and sdk.\

Edit: Finished running! I now have a bunch of nova-cust-image-pixie.*.tar.gz files except my phone seems to be stuck in the "USB" icon mode, is that normal?
    Ah, yes, last step: Turn off your pixi or type
    make reboot

Thanks, that's what it wil do!
    yeah, I just unplugged it from the usb and it rebooted! :-) Was worried there for about 3.5 seconds! good thing i've membooted before when testing out codecrumb's initial warthog kernels! Otherwise i'd have panicked for somewhere close to 5 seconds!!
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast