Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post

Am I hallucinating this or does anybody agree?
    It could be part of the "missed product cycle" that Ruby once mentioned
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    No. ALL the Pixi needs is double the RAM. That's it!! The only problem with computers since the year 2000 has been MEMORY.

The reason the Pixi is so slow has NOTHING to do with the CPU, and EVERYTHING to do with swapping from fast memory to slow memory and back and forth. Just double the fast memory, and you've got a FLUID device.
    The Pixi has no less RAM and no less Flash than the original Pre-. (They both have 256MB RAM, right?)

If people were willing to run the original hacked 2.x WebOS meta-doctor on a Pre Minus without overclocking (since custom kernels weren't ready at the start) and with Compcache pumped up to 64MB or higher, it's at *least* as reasonable try the tricks on a Pixi, right?

I mean, I actually think the Pixi feels a little speedier than a stock Pre - probably because it has a small screen to manage and a slightly faster stock clockspeed (600MHz vs. 500MHz), perhaps?
    Compare the Pixi- to Pre-. What do you get??

Pixi is "snappier", "torquier".... but ONLY with one, two, and MAYBE three at a time.
    Pre can handle more apps without bogging like the Pixi does, even tho it seems slower from pushing more pixels.

With webOS 2.1, I'd imagine that one app on the Pixi would be pushing it!! Not sure what it is, prolly some limited CPU cache and/or FSB issue.

And.... Yes, the Pixi in the OP *does* look a little squashed. I thought it had something to do with the way foreign cameras work (like PAL to NTSC, but that makes no sense in this situation... or does it?).
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    It could be part of the "missed product cycle" that Ruby once mentioned
    Or, it could even be a Pixi 2 prototype...

No. ALL the Pixi needs is double the RAM. That's it!! The only problem with computers since the year 2000 has been MEMORY.

The reason the Pixi is so slow has NOTHING to do with the CPU, and EVERYTHING to do with swapping from fast memory to slow memory and back and forth. Just double the fast memory, and you've got a FLUID device.

I think the reason HPalm doesn't want to do this is because all the sliders would go down the drain if people realized what a simple correction it is to "fix" the Pixis.
    This isn't a desktop we're talking about. You can't just go out, buy some RAM, and plug it into your phone. If it was, anyone would have just bought RAM for their Pre's instead of doing a full comm board swap with a Pre Plus.

I don't buy your conspiracy theory on why HP/Palm is "covering" this up to protect sliders...
    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    OP, can you please record a video demonstrating how smooth webOS 2.1 runs on this mysterious Pixi?
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Um. I'm almost too embarrassed to ask this, but... doesn't that phone look a bit squat in those pictures? My girlfriend has a Pixi Plus and I don't know, maybe it's just a fisheyed camera or weird lighting in the pictures or something, but the Pixi I know somehow looks more elongated to me. And its sides are less rounded.

Am I hallucinating this or does anybody agree?
    Funny, I originally thought the same thing when I looked at the pictures. The tapered border next to the screen really had me convinced something was amiss. But, looking at my own Pixi and comparing it to the pics... They are accurate. We just aren't used to looking at the Pixi at such a magnification.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    @Mr-Xtop: I will if i know
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    This isn't a desktop we're talking about. You can't just go out, buy some RAM, and plug it into your phone. If it was, anyone would have just bought RAM for their Pre's instead of doing a full comm board swap with a Pre Plus.

I don't buy your conspiracy theory on why HP/Palm is "covering" this up to protect sliders...
    Whenever I said, "Just double the RAM in the Pixi and you've got yourself a winner"... I was talking to HPalm.

If you don't buy my "conspiracy theory", what about if I repackage it as "industrial analysis" instead??

Why didn't HPalm just double the RAM in the Pixi, since that's the ONLY thing it needs?!?

Because then... NOBODY would buy a Veer. FAR LESS people would buy a Pre2 or Pre3.

Put the Veer and Pixi, with same internals, side by side and nobody would buy the Veer. Sorry.
    Put the Veer and Pixi, with same internals, side by side and nobody would buy the Veer. Sorry.
    Same price and all? I would go for the Veer.
  10.    #70  
    I had video: Play Palm Pixi+ with HPWebOS2
    Uploading youtube
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.xtop View Post
    I had video: Play Palm Pixi+ with HPWebOS2
    Uploading youtube
    link i searched for it.
  12.    #72  
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pi...bos-2-1-a.html
    Have not been export WebOS2.1
    Who can help me? A detailed tutorial in Windows 7.
    Last edited by mr.xtop; 04/12/2011 at 07:01 AM.
    Someone help the guy with backing up Pixi webOS 2.1.0. I would if I knew how!
    Sprint Love
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    Someone help the guy with backing up Pixi webOS 2.1.0. I would if I knew how!
    PuffTheMagic waited for him on IRC yesterday, let's hope then can talk soon
    Who knows how to do this so they can help him?

In the video 2.1 is running great on the Pixi+
    Thanks Mr.Xtop!
    I'm pretty sure the Pixi has less RAM, but correct me if I am wrong.
    the pre- and the pixi (+ and -) both have 256MB of RAM. So if 2.1 is capable of running on pre- it is likely that it would be capable of running on the pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokal View Post
    Same price and all? I would go for the Veer.
    For what reason, exactly? The Pixi would have the 3.5 mm headphone jack and micro-USB jacks built-in!! Not only that, but it'd also have a removable battery, which we can only assume would still be larger than the Veer's.

So is the sliding keyboard worth giving up those essential phone features??

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pi...bos-2-1-a.html
    Follow the Guide in my sig. Start at steps 2 and 3. Simply start downloading the VirtualBox.exe and Ubuntu 9.10 iso. The guide works PERFECTLY, so long as you download 9.10, which is the one linked to. I know it says, "latest" version of Ubuntu, but just ignore that.

Keep following the rest of the steps until you have a problem or you don't understand something.

EDIT: Looks like Ubuntu 9.10 will be ending support for that version sometime this month!! I definitely need to start making some tweaks. :/
    For what reason, exactly? The Pixi would have the 3.5 mm headphone jack and micro-USB jacks built-in!! Not only that, but it'd also have a removable battery, which we can only assume would still be larger than the Veer's.

So is the sliding keyboard worth giving up those essential phone features??
    Yea, I really like the form factor of the veer. It looks great, and seems to feel great too.

And I use a bluetooth headset most of the time anyway.

I agree the pixi form factor would appeal to many (most actually), hell I just bought one!

But you said nobody would buy it, so... yea, I would.
    I also would totally buy the pre 3 over the pre slate. I like this stone look with a real keyboard.
    I'm ready for this on my Pixi+!
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast