Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so I just found out my new girlfriend has a Palm Pixi Minus, and she uses it for everything.. (YAY) Well, I was wondering if there was some possible way, considering the Pixi Minus does not have Wi-Fi, to tether it up through the 360 through USB?


    Is this possible at all? I can't try it out now, but she's not exactly interested in Preware, and that's the only thing that piqued interest. So now.. I'm lost. Haha.


    And no, it's not even to play games online. Just download things from the Marketplace such as Movies and Games. Just to connect period...
  2.    #2  
    Ok.. Ok.. I think that won't work from what I've read so far.. but how about this?


    Pixi with freetether in USB Mode - Micro USB to USB Cable - USB Male to USB Male Bridge - USB to Ethernet Cable Converter - Ethernet Cable - Xbox 360


    I found this: For only $5.94 each when QTY 50+ purchased - USB 2.0 to Ethernet Adapter | USB to Ethernet Converters

    It seems to take a USB input and turn it into a Ethernet input.. Essentially, would this work? The only thing I do not have is the item in the link.. But would it work? Is it possible?


    EDIT:

    I think I found an easier way to do this..

    Pixi with freeTether in USB Mode - USB Micro to USB Cable - USB Extension to RJ45 Cable (shown in link)

    I found this 6-in-1 doodad (Firefox says that's a word, haha) that gives me 5 other devices and a USB extension cable: Gigaware 6-in-1 USB Cable with Gold Plated Adapters : Gigaware Adapters | RadioShack.com


    Now, same concept, less connections.. Bottomline, would it be able to work, essentially turning a USB Cable into an Ethernet Cable?
    Last edited by totalj; 03/29/2011 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Thought of an EVEN BETTER idea!
  3. #3  
    Don't buy either-- use the cord that came with (her) Pixi and then tether through USB. Or you can use Bluetooth (but I've never gotten that to work)

    EDIT:

    Wait, I'm stupid-- this is for the 360. Not sure if you can use a USB to Ethernet cable to do this-- never tried it or seen it. I think some people have used Wifi though, but since this is a Pixi, that won't work.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    Don't buy either-- use the cord that came with (her) Pixi and then tether through USB. Or you can use Bluetooth (but I've never gotten that to work)

    EDIT:

    Wait, I'm stupid-- this is for the 360. Not sure if you can use a USB to Ethernet cable to do this-- never tried it or seen it. I think some people have used Wifi though, but since this is a Pixi, that won't work.

    Yeah.. My Pre 2 works wonders with freeTether and Wi-Fi.


    I just don't know how USB tethering works.. But if the USB is essentially an Ethernet Cable, then it (on paper) should work, right?


    I've hooked a broadband modem up through USB before when I had cable internet... and it still worked.. obviously. I just don't want to invest in something if it doesn't work..

    But meh. I'll try it anyway on Payday on the first. If it doesn't work by then, I would wanna know. heh.
  5. #5  
    yeah doubt this will work. i use the usb with my laptop, and it took awhile to set that up with the different drivers and such.
  6.    #6  
    What kind of drivers did you need to install?


    EDIT: Also, is there a networking router than can accept a connection through USB instead/with an ethernet cable?
    Last edited by totalj; 03/30/2011 at 03:27 AM.
  7. #7  
    No, no, no and no. All of the suggestions here will not work. First, the Pixi is a USB client, not a host, so you can't change the gender on it with an adapter and plug in an ethernet adapter. Absolutely nothing will happen.

    And with the multi-in-one cable, it is not meant to be used to change one connection into another. If you put a USB connector on one end and an ethernet connector on the other, the best you can hope for is that it won't permanently damage whatever you connect it to.

    Whatever you connect the Pixi to, it will have to be with a straight USB connection, and you will need access to its OS in order to install the Pixi's USB drivers. That means a router won't work either.

    The only thing I can think might get this to actually work is to tether your Pixi to a PC via USB, then set your PC as the gateway for your network.
  8. #8  
    And no, a USB cable is not essentially an ethernet cable. Far, far from it.
  9. #9  
    Your proposed combo won't work. Freetether uses the Linux-USB Ethernet/RNDIS gadget driver from here - USBnet Setup - WebOS Internals

    You would have better luck just connecting the 360 to a laptop using some Cat5 and use Internet Connection Sharing.
  10. #10  
    Suggest you pick up a cheap VZW Pixi Plus on ebay for ~$20 and swap in the WiFi board. Just did this for my wife's and brother's Pixi Minus. VERY easy and works great! Then install FreeTether and finally...donate to webosinternals.

    Edit:
    Here the how-to:
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by andidendel View Post
    Suggest you pick up a cheap VZW Pixi Plus on ebay for ~$20 and swap in the WiFi board. Just did this for my wife's and brother's Pixi Minus. VERY easy and works great! Then install FreeTether and finally...donate to webosinternals.

    Edit:
    Here the how-to:

    I saw this.. So I started looking for cheap Pixi's on Ebay and they range between 50-70 bucks.. Then quickly the idea was shot down by a "HELL NO!". Haha.


    Sooooo...



    Quote Originally Posted by jedicide View Post
    Your proposed combo won't work. Freetether uses the Linux-USB Ethernet/RNDIS gadget driver from here - USBnet Setup - WebOS Internals

    You would have better luck just connecting the 360 to a laptop using some Cat5 and use Internet Connection Sharing.

    This is the only option. Damn.


    So would it be possible to broadcast the internet connection through the computers wi-fi instead of connecting it through an ethernet cable?


    And I haven't done this since the original Xbox back in 2002... do I need a patch or a crossover cable?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by totalj View Post
    So would it be possible to broadcast the internet connection through the computers wi-fi instead of connecting it through an ethernet cable?

    And I haven't done this since the original Xbox back in 2002... do I need a patch or a crossover cable?
    Does the 360 actually have a wifi adapter? Most don't.
    If it does, it may be possible to set up an ad-hoc connection between laptop and 360 with wifi...I've never tried.

    You should be fine with a regular patch cable.
  13. ieko's Avatar
    Posts
    354 Posts
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    #13  
    why not just... "borrow"... Your neighbors wifi
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jedicide View Post
    Does the 360 actually have a wifi adapter? Most don't.
    If it does, it may be possible to set up an ad-hoc connection between laptop and 360 with wifi...I've never tried.

    You should be fine with a regular patch cable.

    We both own a remodeled 360.


    And that's all I needed to know.


    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    why not just... "borrow"... Your neighbors wifi

    Considering I'm out in the middle of no where.. that's not an option. Neither is any broadband internet option (Cable/DSL/Telephone-Based Fiber Optic).. It's so bad, we don't even have the option for Satellite internet.. (Yes, I've read the HORRID reviews on it too..)

    No.. My only option is Dial-Up, and what ever cell-tower that actually reaches us. AT&T is EDGE network here. Sprint/Virgin Mobile's signal line actually ends where the road is. The best one is Verizon 3G. Which has all over 3G, and a strong signal, considering there's a cell tower about 2,000 feet away. Haha.

Posting Permissions