1.    #1  
    I have an old Palm TX and a plain old cell phone. I just got the V. Pixi to at least use it to do some of the TX things, and I'm strongly considering switching from V. to PagePlus pay as you go (can't justify a data plan and don't use phone a lot).

I don't remember if it was on this forum, but somewhere I saw instructions for just setting it up as a PDA without carrier activation, only setting up the Palm activation for app downloads. If I do that, can I then go back later and activate it for (PagePlus) cellphone use?

Or is that way too much trouble?
    Thanks in advance.
    sure. You need palms activation. Bypass tool and a preware patch that will let you create a profile so you can even buy apps.
    Another option is to use a P+ dealer to activate the Pixi for less than a buck. They will put 2 bucks worth of airtime on your phone. At that point you can use it as a pda for as long as you want and you can add airtime whenever you want.
    Yes, I set it up as a PDA for a few days so my mom could play with it and get used to for a few days while she waited out her remaining minutes on her old plan. To activate it, once PagePlus put her device/number into the system, I turned on the phone connection, opened up the phone app and dialed *22880 and it programed. You don't even need to re-doctor.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  5.    #5  
    Can you pls tell me which steps you took to set it up as a PDA, and where to get whatever I need.
    Another post said not to bypass activation if you ever want to use the cellular radio.
    forums.precentral.net/palm-pre-tips-information-resources/221385-cross-platform-meta-doctor-guide-bypass-carrier-activation-etc.
    I'm pretty sure I do want to go to P+ (after I get used to the device), but I also just want to use the wireless and not data service unless I need to but don't want to accidentally use data. I'm not too clear since there are different suggestions on how to do this and I don't want to mess up the device. So, steps to PDA, and how to avoid using data accidentally? Thx.
    you can turn off the data radio to ensure you don't run up a bill
    Quote Originally Posted by moonlittrails View Post
    Can you pls tell me which steps you took to set it up as a PDA, and where to get whatever I need.
    Another post said not to bypass activation if you ever want to use the cellular radio.
    forums.precentral.net/palm-pre-tips-information-resources/221385-cross-platform-meta-doctor-guide-bypass-carrier-activation-etc.
    I'm pretty sure I do want to go to P+ (after I get used to the device), but I also just want to use the wireless and not data service unless I need to but don't want to accidentally use data. I'm not too clear since there are different suggestions on how to do this and I don't want to mess up the device. So, steps to PDA, and how to avoid using data accidentally? Thx.
    These are the steps I posted in another thread:

0. The Pixi Plus from DailySteals came with 1.4.0 on it. Ran the doctor to update it to 1.4.5.

1. After that I ran the Palm Bypass Tool. This reboots the Pixi in developer mode.

2. Next, I installed Preware via the terminal. Once there, I installed both Show First Use App and Enable Activation Patch by arthurthorton.

3. Clicked on the First Use app, was able to create an entirely new profile without having activated.

4. Once the gesture tutorial started, flicked the First Use App off (you have to once you get to the demonstrate the up gesture part) and opened the App Catalog. The App Catalog is on the second page, or you can just start typing "App catalog".

5. Accepted License terms and put in a credit card.

6. Proceeded to buy Smiles Drop, which is on sale for $0.99

7. Purchase went through.

So, there you go, with this you get full access to app catalog even without having activated the phone at all and creating entirely new profile.
    These are the items you will need:

1.4.5 Verizon Pixi Doctor: http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pixip...onwireless.jar

Palm Bypass Activation Tool:
    http://cdn.downloads.palm.com/sdkdow...devicetool.jar

Preware:
    Instructions for installing are here:
    Application:Preware - WebOS Internals
    (I installed using a terminal, if you do not know what a terminal is, use one of the other options on this page)

Additional Patches I Recommend for PDA Usage and Data Off:

Radio Always Off - ONLY after creating your profile and ONLY until you get ready to activate on PagePlus. When you get ready to activate, remove it.

Device Menu Megamix - Will put a Phone menu option (and other things) in the top right menu that allows you to turn the data off.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM