1.    #1  
    hi, i have a verizon palm pixi plus and i have mobile hotspot app but the problem is the hotspot has a 5gb data limit and i dont know if the PAN does because with the PAN i can turn ip forwarding on in freetether and stilll connect to the internet so my question is can i use the PAN instead of the hotspot for pc gaming because it has no data limit or will verizon still add it to the mobile hotspots limit.
    According to VZW's ToS, the limit is 2GB, not 5GB, and only applies to WiFi hotspot or USB tethering data. Any other data, including PAN data, would fall under the plan's unlimited data agreement.

Feature Detail

However, even the "unlimited" data has this clause attached to its ToS:

Verizon Wireless strives to provide customers the best experience when using our network, a shared resource among tens of millions of customers. To help achieve this, if you use an extraordinary amount of data and fall within the top 5% of Verizon Wireless data users we may reduce your data throughput speeds periodically for the remainder of your then current and immediately following billing cycle to ensure high quality network performance for other users at locations and times of peak demand. Our proactive management of the Verizon Wireless network is designed to ensure that the remaining 95% of data customers aren't negatively affected by the inordinate data consumption of just a few users.
    Terms & Conditions

Regardless, your connection will have high latency, so depending on what type of gaming you are planning to do, it may not be adequate.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  3.    #3  
    thanks for the info but trust me I have a 5GB hotspot . So my ping while online was ususlly somewhere in the 400's not horrible but there's a little bit of lag and I was just wondering what amount would be considered a inordinate use of data and once they limit your speed do they take it off after a month where you didn't use so much as to be in the top 5%.
    I spent about 4 days on MHS with heavy use and it was about 2.5gb of use.
  5.    #5  
    well i ended up using 1.5gb in 1 day lol and today i look at my usage and they put what was used that day on the unlimited plan on my hotspot plan ***? how did they know?

EDIT: can i still use the PAN in smaller amounts without them noticing?
    Quote Originally Posted by sev456 View Post
    thanks for the info but trust me I have a 5GB hotspot .
    If you have a special, non-standard hotspot plan, then the only way to properly answer your question is to read the ToS for your particular contract. The ToS for the standard hotspot plan is here, and the limit is definitely 2GB:

Feature Detail

Includes 2GB/month for data access for high-speed wireless Internet access!

Additional Usage billed at $20 per GB. When your smartphone is connected using 3G Mobile Hotspot, all data sent or received by your smartphone (including data sent or received by any Wi-Fi devices connected to it, or by your smartphone itself) will be billed according to your 3G Mobile Hotspot feature, and not according to your smartphone data feature.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  7.    #7  
    i don't know if this will help or not but when i check the usage it shows up as domestic mobile broadband connect usage.
    i don't know if this will help or not but when i check the usage it shows up as domestic mobile broadband connect usage.
    Yes, that is VZW's name for their hotspot service. Here is the webpage for Mobile Broadband Connect:

Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Products

Look at the chart at the very bottom:

Touchscreens are a fad.
  9.    #9  
    Heres a screenshot i edited to mostly show only the hotspot plan.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Heres a screenshot i edited to mostly show only the hotspot plan.
    Looks like you have a grandfathered plan then. Should be ToS for that plan listed somewhere in your account info.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I think the OP's question here is if anyone knows from experience whether or not something like FreeTether, using USB, WiFi, or BT ends up in your MHS tally or on your unlimited data tally.

In theory it should be on your unlimited tally, but I don't know for sure. I have read threads on other boards where people have switched from MHS to FreeTether and saw it count towards different data piles.

Palms on Verizon get a 5GB mobile hotspot for free. Everyone else pays extra for 2GB, or roots/jailbreaks their phone.

Any tethering beyond the MHS is against ToS, but it doesn't seem like the OP is concerned with ToS. Nor have I ever read about someone on any mobile OS on any carrier getting burned by "illegal" tethering. Beware if you try it I guess.
    VZW can't differentiate tether traffic from phone traffic unless the MHS app is running. So apps like FreeTether don't get tracked against the 2GB or 5GB cap unless/until VZW can figure out how to do that.