1.    #1  
    Hello, My palm pixi + should be here on monday and I'm wondering if there are any suggestions for apps or things. I'm hoping to be able to use it as a hotspot but don't want to fork over the money to verizon per month is there a way to use this with a homebrew app?
    get used to it stock for a few days so you know what you want to change. Then get preware, overclock with Uberkernel/govnah, and rock out. By the time you come up for air, Palm will have new devices out and you will be unable to resist buying another.

Also, hit Amazon and grab a couple of extra batteries. You will use this thing 24x7 and constantly be running out of juice. And VZW restarted their $15 touchstone+car charger deal (with free shipping) so stock up on touchstones. I have 8 scattered around my house and cars.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Speaking of extra batteries, anyone have a good source for buying a standalone charger? The batteries themselves are something like $3-5 a piece on amazon but I would like to get a standalone battery to charge outside of the phone.
  4.    #4  
    Do you know if the mobile hotspot application is still free?
    If it ever was free, it will remain so. If not, FreeTether rocks.

You can buy a battery charger at the PreCentral acessory store. You may also be able to find them on amazon.com
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    My boss activated her 'deal' Pixi a couple weeks ago and the hotspot shows on her account (she previously had a feature phone).

I got an external charger from eForCity off Amazon (they are also on Ebay). I have my Pre+ standing up in it (so I don't lose track of it while using the Pixi!) and the extra battery charges behind it. it has USB as well as external power and cost about $15

looks like it's gone up a couple bucks since then
    Amazon.com: Cradle Desktop Dual Charger with Smart Charge and Battery Charger for Palm Pre. USB and Ac Chargers Included: Electronics
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by shrxwin View Post
    My boss activated her 'deal' Pixi a couple weeks ago and the hotspot shows on her account (she previously had a feature phone).

I got an external charger from eForCity off Amazon (they are also on Ebay). I have my Pre+ standing up in it (so I don't lose track of it while using the Pixi!) and the extra battery charges behind it. it has USB as well as external power and cost about $15

looks like it's gone up a couple bucks since then
    Does that charger work for the Pixi Plus?
    Welcome to Precentral. I have to say this is the best on-line community for any Tech gadget I have ever had. Thanks guys.

I have bought two of these surplus Pixie+ phones, they are just so darn cheap. The first for my daughter to replace an Alias 2 and the second as a back-up for my Pre+. I have activated both on Verizon and both showed up with the mobile hot spot at no extra charge. You do still have to pay the $29.99 per month unlimited data plan, so its not completely free, just included in the package. Other phones such as the Pre2 pay an extra $20 per month just for the mobile hotspot with Verizon on top of the data plan.

Some people activate with Pageplus, so you might check into that.

As far as a charger for the batteries I use the docking cradle I had for my Centro. It had a place to charge a spare battery in back. I bet you could find one of these really cheap on ebay. If you have a Centro you can charge two batteries at a time, with one in the Centro.

Cheers.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    the battery is the same, the charger portion is the bare battery sitting in a tray behind where the Pre sits. the pixi sits in that spot loosely. sounds similar to what wizard83 mentioned for the Centro.
  10.    #10  
    I'm activating it as my main phone on Verizon.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Well, precentral won't let me post links, so search ebay for item number 280562311680, you guys think this would work?

Thanks!
    Just got my palm pixi ( Verizon ) activated on PagePlus
    and got the Preware thingy installed.

So what next.

Is there some patches or apps that are a must .

What should a newbie have setup on this phone?

Thank You!
    Ed
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    I posted my starting point for preware recently in another thread. the only thing I've added recently is 'no auto-off while charging' since the clock on the touchstone is so dim. i open the clock app and let the screen stay bright.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pi...ml#post2891199
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    shrxwin is on the money with the initial suggestions. I installed the two advanced config and a battery w percentage patch. Btw best tip I picked up-to move cursor in text entry hold down function key, then use finger in screen as dpad. Having fun with mine.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    hey thanks pho dog - in 10 months I've been too lazy to read through the various tips that are available and have resorted to swearing when i can't touch into the right spot on a text to fix it
  16.    #16  
    Got my pixi today, downloading the WebOS Quick Install files so I can get me some free tethering!
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    While we're on the topic, I was forever going up to the stupid left top menu to copy and paste until I finally read how to basically "ctrl-c" on webos. First you move your cursor where you want it (as pho_dog explained) then hold the shift key while dragging on screen to select text. Finally, with the text highlighted you simply hold a finger on the gesture area and press c to copy or v to paste. Works like a charm.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Nice drparty. helped me get some new feeds set up in preware. finally found freetether for my px+.