Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Either from HP/Palm or by homebrew, will 2.x ever make it to the Pixi+?
    From exsisting news it seems impossible. Maybe one day we pixi users will be blessed.
    Can anyone explain exactly why?
    Quote Originally Posted by pLUSpISTOL View Post
    For one thing it has a different processor from the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    For one thing it has a different processor from the Pre.
    Okay fair enough so it's not optimised to run on a slower processor. But in theory it actually could be installed on a Pixi Plus?
    I'm not trying to be the typical one-post person "CAN SUM1 PLZ..." I actually do computer science and I'm interested in knowing the in's and out's of this scenario
    Quote Originally Posted by pLUSpISTOL View Post
    the hardware is also pretty darn slow compared to the pre+
    I believe "hacking" an O2 Pre+ doctor to a Sprint Pre- doctor involves only changing some meta information and such. This build of webOS is optimized for certain hardware (and specifically, a certain processor) and since all the Pre models have identical processors and hardware (except for memory) moving from one device to another is fairly simple.

Until HP chooses to release a doctor for any Pixi version, any at all, we will not have a hacked Sprint or Verizon Pixi doctor.
    given that HP is not going to release a webos 2.1. for pixi, and that the sourcecode for the 2.1 is out for the palm pre plus, I'm wondering whether it's possible for our fellow guys in webos internals to 'hack' out a palm pixi running webos 2.1?
    If indeed the entire source code of the OS was available then it's possible on a technical level, but the amount of work (think: many many man hours) is probably prohibitively large especially if the OS was to be optimized in any sort of way.

However, I don't believe the entire source code for the OS is available. The compiled bin of the OS is available for certain phones, and the internals guys have been able to tweak it a bit in order to run it on other phones using the same type of processor. So unless I am mistaken, this is impossible at the moment.
    So I understand that it would take many many man hours...

but I'm confused why everyone is saying that webos 2 on the pixi is impossible, when there has been a post about a palm pixi plus with webos 2 being spotted in the wild?

my main hang up is that the mic of the pixi isn't usable by any program, except for actual phone calls...
    Stantri Nineco
    Austin Based Freelance Writer
    I had a Pre Plus (I installed WebOS 2.1 on it) and now I have a Pre 2. 2.X sucked on the Plus because it was laggy and clunky looking. Imagine it on a Pixi. I think they should just strip 2.X of some of it's features and give it to Pixi and Pre users...
    also....if you look at when those previous posts were made, you'll notice they were BEFORE the pixi with 2.1 was brought to light
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AuWriter View Post
    So I understand that it would take many many man hours...

but I'm confused why everyone is saying that webos 2 on the pixi is impossible, when there has been a post about a palm pixi plus with webos 2 being spotted in the wild?

my main hang up is that the mic of the pixi isn't usable by any program, except for actual phone calls...
    whyd you post on a 2 month clearly outdated topic? and the pixi runs supreamly fine on 2.1
    Giggles, I believe someone already brought that to my attention,

And to answer both of your questions, to keep the thread alive and in the attempt to get the attention of someone with qualifications in regards to the subject. =0

Giggles, does your pixi have 2.1 on it, or are you talking about the 2.1 pixi plus in the wild video? From what i understand, while the general specs of the pixi are the same across the board, some pixi phones will run higher processor speeds better than other of the same make/model.

Thank you for pointing out the the same as the post before you, and really driving it home!
    Stantri Nineco
    Austin Based Freelance Writer
    There's some hope. Keep looking in the other thread if we manage to do something with the 2.1 backup

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg