1.    #1  
    I searched for a thread like this and couldn't find one, so I was hoping someone could share their opinion on this.

Like others that might be lurking on here, I recently bought a Pixi from a "deal" site (although it hasn't shipped yet) and have been rummaging through these threads looking at the different things you can do to your Pixi. There appear to be a lot of options.

So my question for the more experienced users is this: If you were starting off new again, what would you do right off the bat? Install Preware? OC it? I am just wondering with the laundry list of options, which are most valuable to get out of the way first thing. I imagine I will have to upgrade the WebOS software to the latest first, and then proceed with homebrew items.

So far the only "hack" I've identified to try when I get it is to attempt bluetooth tethering it with my Macbook Pro so I can have an option if I get close to the 5GB limit for the hotspot. Although it is not clear if both can coexist.

If it matters, I'll be activating on Verizon.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    First off welcome! You nailed it with upgrading to 1.4.5 first as most seem to ship with 1.4. Absolutely install preware as many of the patches can be very helpful in customizing youe webos experience to your liking. Also overclocking has become relatively easy and safe, and it will make your experience better imho. That being said my wifes pixi isn't overclocked and she absolutely loves it anyway. Free tether and mobile hotspot do coexist and you shouldn't have any problems with either as I run them everyday to tether my google chrome notebook. My only word of caution comes about monitoring your temp is you overclock and tether. My cpu will go above 45 c if I'm overclocked and tethering media intensive sites or charging on the touchstone and tethering at any clockspeed. 45 c is generally my failsafe temp and I don't like it to go much higher than that. Underclocking back to the default clockspeed is as simple as opening up the Govnah app and selecting Palm Default which I recommend doing while tethering. Overall this is a great phone and any shortfalls it has are easily fixed via preware! Enjoy and feel free to ask for help!

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    "Originality.....There's NO app for that!" -Th3H0ff
    I suggest that you use it stock for a few weeks so you learn it as shipped, then use preware to change the things that you don't like. But don't start changing until you have become familiar with webOs and your specific needs.

keep it simple, don't patch stuff you don't care about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I suggest that you use it stock for a few weeks so you learn it as shipped, then use preware to change the things that you don't like. But don't start changing until you have become familiar with webOs and your specific needs.

keep it simple, don't patch stuff you don't care about.
    I agree. When I got my Pre Plus last spring my decision was based in part on my discovery of this site and the homebrew community surrounding webOS. I lasted all of 3 days before I installed preware and began overclocking and patching like crazy.

Fast forward 9 months when I picked up a Pixi Plus on the Daily Steals website and I've been running webOS stock ever since. Not because there were any downsides to patching/overclocking. I just found that for what I'm using my phone for, webOS more or less "just works" for me just the way it is
  5.    #5  
    Appreciate the responses.
    Everyone has their own preferences. If you like to play and mess around, then installing Preware is a must. Overclocking on the Pixi isn't as far along as it is with the Pre, so doing that is really your call.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Not to hijack a thread but I also just got a Pixi and love it. My question is what is a good app for using Google Voice? The building I work in is a death trap for cell phone signals. I've trained my wife to use my Voice number to text me so I can make use of the wireless at work. My only option seems to be the mobile GV site, which is terrible.

Should point out I'm coming from a rooted Droid Eris, so GV was a natural for it :\

Thanks for any help.

Jason
    I am also new, but I love my new toy, pixi, so much~~~.
    Anyway... what apps do you have in your pixi? What player do you use for mp3? Would you recommend me some apps? Thanks so much~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by jquinn38 View Post
    Not to hijack a thread but I also just got a Pixi and love it. My question is what is a good app for using Google Voice? The building I work in is a death trap for cell phone signals. I've trained my wife to use my Voice number to text me so I can make use of the wireless at work. My only option seems to be the mobile GV site, which is terrible.

Should point out I'm coming from a rooted Droid Eris, so GV was a natural for it :\

Thanks for any help.

Jason
    Voogle

Quote Originally Posted by sunclear View Post
    I am also new, but I love my new toy, pixi, so much~~~.
    Anyway... what apps do you have in your pixi? What player do you use for mp3? Would you recommend me some apps? Thanks so much~~~
    Install Preware there are some music players in there that are great (Amigo and Music Player Remix); all sorts of apps to get: angry birds, sigma, jump o clock, twee, youview, forums, accuweather, engadget, pandora, slacker radio, evernote, paintr lite to name a few...... is there a certain type of app you are looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    Install Preware there are some music players in there that are great (Amigo and Music Player Remix); all sorts of apps to get: angry birds, sigma, jump o clock, twee, youview, forums, accuweather, engadget, pandora, slacker radio, evernote, paintr lite to name a few...... is there a certain type of app you are looking for?
    Thanks so much. I just want to play with my pixi, so all kinds of apps. Listening music, radio, playing some games, messaging, reading some news, gossip...
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHoff View Post
    First off welcome! You nailed it with upgrading to 1.4.5 first as most seem to ship with 1.4. Absolutely install preware as many of the patches can be very helpful in customizing youe webos experience to your liking. Also overclocking has become relatively easy and safe, and it will make your experience better imho. That being said my wifes pixi isn't overclocked and she absolutely loves it anyway. Free tether and mobile hotspot do coexist and you shouldn't have any problems with either as I run them everyday to tether my google chrome notebook. My only word of caution comes about monitoring your temp is you overclock and tether. My cpu will go above 45 c if I'm overclocked and tethering media intensive sites or charging on the touchstone and tethering at any clockspeed. 45 c is generally my failsafe temp and I don't like it to go much higher than that. Underclocking back to the default clockspeed is as simple as opening up the Govnah app and selecting Palm Default which I recommend doing while tethering. Overall this is a great phone and any shortfalls it has are easily fixed via preware! Enjoy and feel free to ask for help!

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    So do you have FreeTether and the Verizon hotspot working? Like you can roll with hotspot until 4.5GB and then switch to FreeTether? That would be my ideal game plan.

I was trying to figure out if they can coexist. The FreeTether wiki says to remove "mobile hotspot", but everyone who had problems in the FreeTether thread seemed to have Sprint phones with ported hotspot software.

If I can get both working easily, I'll activate this baby tomorrow. If not, I might just wait until after my week long trip where I will rely on my phone for internet in my room. Right now I can tether my Windows Mobile phone to the Mac via BT. I don't want to be solving problems away from home.
    I am also a new user. Have had my Palm Pixi Plus for about 3 days. My first smart phone. Quite a learning curve. After reading numerous threads in this forum and lots of Wikis, I have managed to install V1.4.5 and Preware. Preware is listed in my list of applications and can be acessed by typing its name, but I can't figure out how to get the icon to show up on my launcher pages. Any help would be much appreciated.
    I am new also and just want to make sure. Have you scrolled to the pages on the left and right, also drag the page up to see more icons below? Sorry if you already have done this.
    Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    I am new also and just want to make sure. Have you scrolled to the pages on the left and right, also drag the page up to see more icons below? Sorry if you already have done this.
    Wow, do I feel stupid. Scrolled the pages side to side many times but did not realize they also scrolled up and down. Had I known this, it would have saved me from loading, deleting, and reloading preware 3 times. Thank you very much!
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    and one of the joys of now having Preware is the patches to add pages and name them i usually just type to open what I want but some days the right name of an app escapes me, so having them organized and not needing to scroll down really helps!
    Have not attempted any patches yet, but that sounds like a good one to start with.