1.    #1  
    If anyone have experience making phone calls using wifi please share. Was thinking in areas where there is no cell phone coverage but have wifi, it'd be handy for making calls via wifi if that's possible.
    From what I can tell there are no apps for this yet. It seems to have something to do with apps not being able to access the phone's microphone.
    I'd check in on this again when they release webOS 2.0. It's supposed to contain the mic APIs plus there's supposed to be a version of Skype with it.
    I can't wait for 2.0 because I am eagerly anticipating skype. Even though I know it won't have video call capabilities, it should still be a sexy app! =)
    Anyone know if the Voogle guy plans to add support for this when 2.0 comes?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Anyone know if the Voogle guy plans to add support for this when 2.0 comes?
    Seems unlikely. Not even the google voice app on android has the ability to make voip calls like gmail can. For voogle to be able to do voip calls using only wifi they'd have to make it into a sip client as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.h View Post
    Seems unlikely. Not even the google voice app on android has the ability to make voip calls like gmail can. For voogle to be able to do voip calls using only wifi they'd have to make it into a sip client as well.
    You might want to ask these guys.

Nimbuzz - Free calls , chat / IM and free text messaging with all your friends from your phonebook, Nimbuzz, Skype, Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, ICQ and many more...

I got into Gizmo5 before Google bought it so I can make calls over my desktop version of Nimbuzz using my GVoice number.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Nimbuzz does not support webOS and have no plans to do so in the future, I already asked them over twitter.

@fremen56 sorry, we dont support this OS, but u can still use nimbuzz on ur phone browser going to wap.nimbuzz.com

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by fremen567 View Post
    Nimbuzz does not support webOS and have no plans to do so in the future, I already asked them over twitter.

@fremen56 sorry, we dont support this OS, but u can still use nimbuzz on ur phone browser going to wap.nimbuzz.com

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
    Lame.
    looks like there's a VOIP/SIP app coming out!

via webosinternals twitter account: webosinternals -
    Hmm - what's this we're working on with Thibaud? #webosvoip bit.ly/webos-voip-client (will be in Preware testing feeds when ready)

You could probably integrate this with a free SIP service like sipgate and then have free calling over wifi using google voice.

The way I did this before was to go onto google voice on my phone, set my mobile number under preferences to the phone number of my sipgate account and the initiate a call. Google voice would then call my sipgate number and my phone would ring (sipgate only did free incoming calls) and connect the call.

If anyone called my google voice number, it would ring my sipgate account and connect through the voip app.
  11.    #11  
    Nice find there chris.h , won't be too long hopefully.
    Any update on this?
    guys any update
    was looking forward to it
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...a-testing.html
    If you can't see the link:
    forums.precentral.net/webos-internals/274615-linphone-alpha-testing.html
    Linphone=Interesting

Can't wait for this to be released.
    Stantri Nineco
    Austin Based Freelance Writer
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    It works to go to Google Voice and call over WiFi. Definitely not as convenient.

Edit: I didn't realize, this method still uses cell minutes.
    Last edited by FlyingBoat; 07/04/2011 at 02:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingBoat View Post
    It works to go to Google Voice and call over WiFi. Definitely not as convenient.

Edit: I didn't realize, this method still uses cell minutes.
    Hi FlyingBoat,

I'm new to all this. I have a used Palm Pre w/o an activated account or a profile but can do wifi. (no minutes) Is it possible to make calls with Google Voice possible via wifi? If so, any details would be greatly appreciated!
    Body Extreme- I'm in the exact same position. My Palm Pre is from Sprint. I would like to know if anyone has had it working with GVoice or if I still need to buy a cell carrier- hopefully one that lets me keep my Metro PCS number.
    Also, I've been doing some research and it seems as though the Pre MIGHT work through Page Plus (IF YOU HAVE A VERIZON PALM PRE). The question is... would it work on a Sprint Palm Pre??? Prob not though- that would be too easy for me. Here's what Page Plus rep responded:

"You can use any unlocked, Verizon compatible, CDMA phone on our network. However if the handset is not an approved Page Plus Cellular phone, we cannot guarantee that web access or picture messaging will work properly on the phone. Also any branded Verizon INpulse (pre-paid) phones are no longer approved to be activated with Page Plus Cellular. We do not have any server information to provide you with since the phone is not a Page Plus handset.
    If the phone you are attempting to activate is not a Page Plus handset we cannot be certain that the phone will work properly with Page Plus network. There are many factors to consider. You can attempt to activate the phone and program the phone, but we have no way of telling you exactly why a phone will not work with Page Plus. As long as the phone meets the above requirements we can attempt to activate the phone. We cannot determine if a specific make will or will not work with Page Plus. Page Plus does not use SIM cards on our network.
    We cannot activate any iPhone (from any carrier), Thunderbolt devices, nor can we activate any branded Verizon INpulse (prepaid) phones.
    We do not have any server information to provide you with since the phone is not a Page Plus handset.
    Blackberry devices will not work properly with the Page Plus network for full functionality.
    Blackberry devices may work for talking and plain-text messaging (SMS), but will not likely work for picture messaging (MMS), mobile web (WAP), email, or any other data service.
    If you can get a Blackberry activated on the Page Plus network, it will very likely be limited in functionality.
    If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact pageplus customer care at 1-800-550-2436 or by dialing # 737 from your mobile device.
    Thank you for choosing Page Plus Cellular."

Quote Originally Posted by Body Extreme View Post
    Hi FlyingBoat,

I'm new to all this. I have a used Palm Pre w/o an activated account or a profile but can do wifi. (no minutes) Is it possible to make calls with Google Voice possible via wifi? If so, any details would be greatly appreciated!