1.    #1  
    So I have a couple questions. First off, I always turn my phones off when I charge them, but with my pixi, I have to plug it into the wall charger and then turn it off otherwise it will turn back on when I plug it in if I turn it off beforehand. Is this weird? Also, last night I had my phone plugged into my computer to put pictures on it, and of course it ended up charging so when I went to bed it was in the 80% range so I just turned it off for the night and when I woke up this morning, I decided to plug it into the charger to get it up to 100% and ready for the day, so I left it plugged in (and off!) for the 2 hours I was getting ready and then unplugged it and left it off for the ride to school, like 10 minutes. When I got to school and turned it on, it was only at like 87% charge. Can someone give me a reason as to why this is? Am I doing everything right?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/31/2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: clarified title
    Can I suggest instead of "off", you use "Airplane Mode" this stops all telephone/internet/gps signals and also allows you to use your alarm clock, if so desired, as well as keeping all external interruptions off.

I'm not sure why your battery wasn't 100%. Maybe it needs to be calibrated (Dr. Battery in Preware), maybe you were plugged into an outlet that had a switch to turn it on. Just some ideas.
    Last edited by sledge007; 01/31/2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: cord definitely isn't old and worn, couldn't tell on mobile site how new you were.
    Can I ask why you turn them off to charge them?

With the Pixi and Pre (WebOS in general) booting up takes a huge hit on the battery, calibrating it will alleviate this to some extent, but I suggest not turning the phone off while charging, or if you HAVE to, at least turn it back on with the charger still plugged in.
    I was also wondering why you turn it off to charge it - there is no technical or charging reason to do so. It will charge just fine turned on, plus you can see when the charging is done.
    Melanie,

Your phone turning on after being off and plugged in is normal.
    After you were done transferring your pictures, and it was at 80%, you should of either unplugged it if you were planning on sleeping for more than two hours (Rough estimate), or let it charge to 100% and then unplugged it (and then slept).
    Also, it is not necessary to turn the device off to charge it, and as Sketh states:

“With the Pixi and Pre (WebOS in general) booting up takes a huge hit on the battery, calibrating it will alleviate this to some extent, but I suggest not turning the phone off while charging, or if you HAVE to, at least turn it back on with the charger still plugged in.”

I would follow Sledge007’s advice: “Maybe it needs to be calibrated (Dr. Battery in Preware)” as a starting point.

Some things you should know about batteries:

1. If a battery is charged to 100%, and you leave it charging, it will eat away at its capacity.
    (When charging, you’re basically restoring the electrons and protons to the chemicals that combine to create its power. Leaving these chemicals charging when already fully charged will cause them to “Vent” hydrogen and/or oxygen excessively, which is a byproduct of the battery’s use and charging. Since these chemicals can only be charged back so many times, you are taking away from your battery’s life =0)

2. Every Fifth to Sixth time you charge your battery, you should first fully drain it (0%), and then charge it, uninterrupted, to 100%.
    (Batteries are “Programmable”, meaning that they can get used to taking smaller charges. If they get used to taking only smaller charges, they deplete quicker, as they can not hold as large of a charge. IE, a battery that has been programmed to take small charges repeatedly over time will report 100% battery, but in actuality, compared to a new battery this % would only be 50-80% at best. While it is ok to only charge your battery 20-30% per a charge, you should not do this every time you charge it.)

Please note, this is not just for Phone Batteries or lithium based batteries, but nickel metal hydride and nickel cadmium as well. Also, you should know that over charging a battery is a potential fire hazard. While you most likely won’t notice this on the first or eighth time you over charge your battery by a couple of hours, getting into the habit of over charging for long durations of time will cause your battery to be more susceptible to explosion. When a battery charges, it releases either oxygen and hydrogen, or just oxygen. When over charged, these gasses are released at a rate that is greater than their ability to escape the battery. Combine this with the fact that overcharging a battery causes it to overheat, and you have a recipe for disaster.
    Stantri Nineco
    Austin Based Freelance Writer
    Quote Originally Posted by AuWriter View Post
    1. If a battery is charged to 100%, and you leave it charging, it will eat away at its capacity.
    (When charging, you’re basically restoring the electrons and protons to the chemicals that combine to create its power. Leaving these chemicals charging when already fully charged will cause them to “Vent” hydrogen and/or oxygen excessively, which is a byproduct of the battery’s use and charging. Since these chemicals can only be charged back so many times, you are taking away from your battery’s life =0)
    webOS and/or the chip inside the battery will stop the charging at 100%. For some unknown reasons webOS will then use the battery and not the charger until approx. 95% and then start charging again. It will not overcharge.
    2. Every Fifth to Sixth time you charge your battery, you should first fully drain it (0%), and then charge it, uninterrupted, to 100%.
    (Batteries are “Programmable”, meaning that they can get used to taking smaller charges. If they get used to taking only smaller charges, they deplete quicker, as they can not hold as large of a charge. IE, a battery that has been programmed to take small charges repeatedly over time will report 100% battery, but in actuality, compared to a new battery this % would only be 50-80% at best. While it is ok to only charge your battery 20-30% per a charge, you should not do this every time you charge it.)
    That is not true anymore. LiIon batteries don't have the memory effect and don't need to get discharged on regular basis.
    Please note, this is not just for Phone Batteries or lithium based batteries, but nickel metal hydride and nickel cadmium as well. Also, you should know that over charging a battery is a potential fire hazard. While you most likely won’t notice this on the first or eighth time you over charge your battery by a couple of hours, getting into the habit of over charging for long durations of time will cause your battery to be more susceptible to explosion. When a battery charges, it releases either oxygen and hydrogen, or just oxygen. When over charged, these gasses are released at a rate that is greater than their ability to escape the battery. Combine this with the fact that overcharging a battery causes it to overheat, and you have a recipe for disaster.
    You can't overcharge the battery in a palm device. The chip inside the battery has an overcharge protection and webOS itself also has an overcharge protection.

Now back to the question:
    I never tested to charge the battery while switched off. I don't think it will charge at all. I wouldn't switch the phone off while charging. There is a linux process "powerd" responsible for charging. If the phone is switched off this process is not running.
    Also be aware that the % display in the sysmenu is not showing the actual % of charge. You can use Dr.Battery or the patch "Show actual battery percent" to get the real value.