1.    #1  
    I have a palm pixi on verizon, and already have an unlimited plan. Will freetether cost anything extra?
    Freetether!
    your verizon phone already has the free Mobile Hotspot App as part of your plan. Already installed. FreeTether not needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    your verizon phone already has the free Mobile Hotspot App as part of your plan. Already installed. FreeTether not needed.
    I have recently been shopping for a phone plan. Verizon guy told me that even if I came up with a Palm phone I could no longer get the free 5 gigabyte mobile hot spot deal. He said that they stopped offering that months ago.
    Just my experience. Can't say it is accurate.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
    I have recently been shopping for a phone plan. Verizon guy told me that even if I came up with a Palm phone I could no longer get the free 5 gigabyte mobile hot spot deal. He said that they stopped offering that months ago.
    precisely! so I was wondering if this would circumvent the additional charges... I didnt even use it much when it was available to me, so it's not like I'm trying to be above the rules or anything. was just curious, and it's nice to have the option.
    Didnt know they ended that plan/deal
  7.    #7  
    well I have successfully installed it, and it works perfectly, since I wont be heavily using it I suppose I'll accept it if there's any additional charges and post if I have any or not.
    He is incorrect. If they can find one to sell you, it comes with MHS. Any Pre you fnd that works on Verizon was originally sold by verizon (generally speaking) so you should have MHS included in your plan.
    He is incorrect. If they can find one to sell you, it comes with MHS. Any Pre you fnd that works on Verizon was originally sold by verizon (generally speaking) so you should have MHS included in your plan.
    I am a new kid on the block. Don't even have a phone plan or smart phone at present. I have been patiently holding on for quite some time in hopes of getting a Pam device. So please excuse my lack of knowledge/experience. Trying to learn everything I can on PreCentral.
    So if I can find a used Pre Plus branded to Verizon, and want to to get a new first time ever contract, they will have to include MHS with the free 5 Gigibytes? Verizon employee told me no way.
    Also said that IF they ever carry the Pre2 the free 5Gigabyte MHS would most likely not be offered.
    Thanks for your comments/suggestions

Edit: I should clarify. MHS would be included. However you could not use up to 5 gigabytes of data transfer for free. According to the Verizon store.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
  10.    #10  
    MHS is installed on the phone, and when I first got it, was provided for free. But recently when I try opening the app, and starting it up, I get a message saying

"no sharing service, sharing an internet connection requires an addition to your mobile service plan, contact your carrier for help"

What I'm trying to ask is if freetether would require the same service addition, or somehow circumvent the charge. I've downloaded freetether, and tested it out. It works wonderfully, but i'm not sure if it's going to get me charges at the end of the month.

Meanwhile MHS wont even let me turn it on.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    gmanjudo - sometimes it does that. I've gotten that message one day then don't get it another day - not sure what is different but I know it's included and free so I usually just try again when it happens!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by shrxwin View Post
    gmanjudo - sometimes it does that. I've gotten that message one day then don't get it another day - not sure what is different but I know it's included and free so I usually just try again when it happens!
    Hmmm... it's just been such consistent denial. I suppose I'll keep working at it. Thanks shrxwin.
    MHS on a Pixi??

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    No, FreeTether will not cost you anything if you have an unlimited data plan. But, to the best of my knowledge, Verizon doesn't have an unlimited plan, it is 5gig/month. Even at 5gig, you would need pretty heavy use to reach that.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
  15.    #15  
    thank you for all the quick replies, and i'm not sure what verizon is currently providing, but I am luckily grandfathered into an unlimited plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanjudo View Post
    thank you for all the quick replies, and i'm not sure what verizon is currently providing, but I am luckily grandfathered into an unlimited plan.
    I have an unlimited Verizon plan as well. To my understanding, we have the MHS app that caps at 5 gigs. If we pass that then we start paying for it. I have read its pretty hard to use that much. But Im always scared for some reason. lol. I installed FreeTether and just like you, it works perfectly. I havent used it very heavily and dont know if Verizon can catch that you are using a lot of data in that way and tack it onto the MHS service. I was wondering that for a while as well.
    I used the mobile hotspur extensively this past weekend when moving to a new house and waiting to set up my cable connection. The service was fast, I was online surfing for over 6 hours, and barely touched 500 mb. Normally I surf online for less than an hour a day. I think unless you are moving a large amount of picture files, videos, or music, it's really hard to go over the 5 gb. For all pixi plus and pre plus users who signed a contract with vzw when the phones were being offered by thecarrier had mobile hotspot preinstalled on the phone, and vzw gave us 5 gb free per month. An awesome deal.

What I haven't figured out though is what advantage free tether has for vzw customers other than being able to connect via Bluetooth and USB in addition to wifi. If a vzw customer who already has the free mobile hotspot uses free tether, can vzw track that as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    I used the mobile hotspur extensively this past weekend when moving to a new house and waiting to set up my cable connection. The service was fast, I was online surfing for over 6 hours, and barely touched 500 mb. Normally I surf online for less than an hour a day. I think unless you are moving a large amount of picture files, videos, or music, it's really hard to go over the 5 gb. For all pixi plus and pre plus users who signed a contract with vzw when the phones were being offered by thecarrier had mobile hotspot preinstalled on the phone, and vzw gave us 5 gb free per month. An awesome deal.

What I haven't figured out though is what advantage free tether has for vzw customers other than being able to connect via Bluetooth and USB in addition to wifi. If a vzw customer who already has the free mobile hotspot uses free tether, can vzw track that as well?
    I think that was the original question. Can Verizon track that and charge you for it even though its FREEtether?

Side note, I was also messing with FreeTether this weekend. I was showing it off to my step brother who has an android phone and knew nothing of webOS. So it was a good time to show it off. lol. I told him about the MHS and had him connect his laptop and his phone. Both ran pretty fast. He was surprised and honestly, it even surprised me.
    My understanding. ( May not be correct):
    1) If you have an existing contract with Verizon and use MHS you get to send data to up to 5 devices. Total allowed for free is 5 Gig. Verizon is capable off and does track this usage and keeps a tally. Also note that if not using the wireless tether (MHS ) you should turn it off as the phone defaults to MHS and all data used will be added to your 5 Gig. free allowance.
    2) If you open a new contract with Verizon you will no longer be offered the FREE 5 Gig. via MHS. It is still a feature of the phone but you will not get 5 Gig. free wireless tethering via this feature.
    3) As I understand what I have read about Free Tether, all data that is transmitted to your tethered device is seen as phone data ONLY. This makes no difference if it is accomplished via WiFi, Bluetooth or a physical USB connection. If this is true and you have an unlimited data account ( Don't know if Verizon offers one ) you will not be billed for any data that is sent to another device from your phone.
    I have no first hand experience and what I have stated is my interpretation from reading threads on Free Tether and speaking to Verizon personnel in two separate Verizon stores.
    My understanding. ( May not be correct):
    1) If you have an existing contract with Verizon and use MHS you get to send data to up to 5 devices. Total allowed for free is 5 Gig. Verizon is capable off and does track this usage and keeps a tally. Also note that if not using the wireless tether (MHS ) you should turn it off as the phone defaults to MHS and all data used will be added to your 5 Gig. free allowance.
    2) If you open a new contract with Verizon you will no longer be offered the FREE 5 Gig. via MHS. It is still a feature of the phone but you will not get 5 Gig. free wireless tethering via this feature.
    3) As I understand what I have read about Free Tether, all data that is transmitted to your tethered device is seen as phone data ONLY. This makes no difference if it is accomplished via WiFi, Bluetooth or a physical USB connection. If this is true and you have an unlimited data account ( Don't know if Verizon offers one ) you will not be billed for any data that is sent to another device from your phone.
    I have no first hand experience and what I have stated is my interpretation from reading threads on Free Tether and speaking to Verizon personnel in two separate Verizon stores.
    Thanks. That was my understanding of it too. Just wasnt 100 percent. I guess the only way to test this is to actually go over the 5 gig cap with FreeTether and see if they charge you.