Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Since I can get a Verizon Pixi Plus for $60 today, I'm probably going to buy one.

I am not a Verizon customer, nor do I want a Verizon plan. I have an EVO (rooted, running Myn's Warm TwoPointTwo) and do not need another phone. However, I've always loved WebOS (and admired it from afar).

That's a really roundabout way to ask, is it possible to "hacktivate" it? So, bypass carrier activation. I still want to be able to access the App Catalog (paid and free) and all the Palm Profile stuff. In case it makes a difference, it will be a new Palm Profile.

I could also be persuaded into making it run on Sprint, but I'd prefer to just use it like an iPod touch.
    There is the meta doctor for bypassing the activation.

I think there is also a way to get the profile.

On the app catalog part, I don't know.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  3.    #3  
    The App Catalog is the most important part for me. Without it, the phone is as good as bricked.

So, anybody who knows for a fact that I can get the App Catalog, speak up. I want to buy the Pixi, but won't without someone who sounds sure that I can use the App Catalog.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    It's not for sure. If it's first activation you get the App Catalog. Otherwise, you don't.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
  5.    #5  
    If it's new, it should be the first activation (using meta-doctor) since the phone is new, correct? So I would get it the first time I bypass the activation, but not the second?
    If it's a new phone, I'm pretty sure it needs to be activated at least once on an official carrier to determine App Catalog availability...
  7.    #7  
    So, I'll have to give Verizon my money at least once. This deal sounds less and less appealing.

I'll just go grab something that's already activated once off Cragislist.

Anyway, thanks guys!
    No, you do not need carrier activation.

I have multiple devices that have never been activated yet have access to the app catalog.

All you need is meta-doctor.

The Pixi is a very nice messaging device and I highly recommend it if you msg a lot.
    Codecrumb, what is your Palm Profile setup? Individual profiles for each device? If we do a meta-doctor without activation, what's the next step?
    I had this same situation and got my Aunt who is a Verizon customer to help me out. She changed her active phone to my Pixi (rendering her main phone inactive) for about 15 minutes. After the phone was activated, then we switched back to activate her regular phone. It works like a charm. You can do this on the web or by calling them.

Just get a friend that has Verizon to help you out. Believe it or not, I got this tip from an in-store Verizon employee.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    No need to activate and no need for metadoctor..
    Use the official palm bypass tool, then install preware and install the "firstuse" patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman6235 View Post
    Use the official palm bypass tool, then install preware and install the "firstuse" patch.
    I'm in the same exact situation as the OP.

Not on Verizon. Never had a webOS device before, but I'm a big fan of what I've seen. Would like to buy a bargain Pixi just to play around with on WiFi only.

Does anybody have links to newbie-friendly FAQs that would get me up and running with fake activation, getting the App Catalog, etc.?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman6235 View Post
    Since I already know how to run the Palm Bypass tool, and have put Preware on plenty of WebOS phones for friends, you would say I would be able to buy one of these Pixi's and be good with getting it set up just to run off Wifi?
    Thank me if I helped you.
    I bought Pixi yesterday. I cannot wait to play with my new toy!!! Would anyone here kindly explain how to bypass the activation and get the app catalog? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunclear View Post
    I bought Pixi yesterday. I cannot wait to play with my new toy!!! Would anyone here kindly explain how to bypass the activation and get the app catalog? Thanks!
    You'll need to look for the meta doctor threads for the specifics on that.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    To the best of my understanding... you will need to activate the phone temporarily, and create a new palm profile (with a new email address)... then you can de-activate the phone and use wi-fi.

Using meta-doctor after that point, you can use that same email address (palm profile) at the First Use app, and it will restore all your apps, contacts, memos, etc.

The initial setup needs to be on a verified carrier, from what I understand. But that only takes a few minutes. Surely you can find a VZ user to spare you their line for an hour or so.

Hopefully this method is not still needed, in order to access the Catalog, but I think it probly is.
    Maybe running First Use is all that's really needed, tho...

Dunno for sure.
    aw man I wish I read this thread before I forked over $106 and some change to Verizon to activate the phone on a new prepaid plan, just so that I could get app catalog access. I had run the activation bypass tool in the past on a couple of my other webOS devices that I use as test tools for alpha kernels and for my own apps, but never tried getting app catalog access on them.

I don't think I'm alone in wishing the $60 liquidation price was for an AT&T phone.
    You can always activate a Verizon pixi on Page Plus. Activation is free, you can put a $10 pin on it good for 4 months. That will buy more than enough data to get you started and it activates in the normal way without needing to bypass. ($1.20/MB) It cost me 9c in data to connect to the palm server. Then you have a working backup phone for whatever too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Johncase3 View Post
    You can always activate a Verizon pixi on Page Plus. Activation is free, you can put a $10 pin on it good for 4 months. That will buy more than enough data to get you started and it activates in the normal way without needing to bypass. ($1.20/MB) It cost me 9c in data to connect to the palm server. Then you have a working backup phone for whatever too...
    Actually, if you activate the phone on Page Plus, you get $2 credit. THAT is enough to to create palm profile I heard.

So, it will cost virtually nothing (well, I THINK most dealers will activate for $1 or $2, but you get $2 credit).
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast