Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I just bought a used Pixi Plus and I don't plan on using it as a phone. Can I just set everything up over wifi or does setup require cellular activation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lando81 View Post
    I just bought a used Pixi Plus and I don't plan on using it as a phone. Can I just set everything up over wifi or does setup require cellular activation?
    It doesnt require activation, but it so much easier IMO to get a kittywireless activation for .99 and go that route. I've done it 3 times now and its really easy, and Im not very tech sauvy.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosgarage57 View Post
    It doesnt require activation, but it so much easier IMO to get a kittywireless activation for .99 and go that route. I've done it 3 times now and its really easy, and Im not very tech sauvy.
    That doesn't help me since I don't want to activate it. Please try to not sell me things in the next response.
    Lando thats cool, but next time you want help dont ask for opinions. Maybe you should read through the 6 pages of info before asking.
    I've read this thread up and down, but it looks like I need to add to the fun...

I just received a Pixi Plus that I plan on using through PagePlus. However, it might take a handful of days to port my number to it (because KittyWireless has a little vacation going on for a few days).

So:
    A) I can wait for my port to happen, then activate the phone and create a new palm profile (which might take a handful of days) all in one go when i fire up the device for the first time, and I'll be good.
    or
    B) Use webOS Doctor to get the phone updated to 1.4.5, bypass activation, and get webos/app catalogue/preware up and running for a few days, then go activate later

I'd like to do B), but have a few wonders from those who have done this... When I go to activate the phone a week from now, how will my setup be different? I ask, because I'm under the impression that activation/setup would normally bring me to a palm profile screen, where I'd throw in the magic number, to activate the phone, then after activation, it would take me back to the palm profile login/creation scree, where I'd create a new profile. But, since I've already bypassed activation and created a palm profile...
    1) How is this experience different?
    2) Would I see the exact same screens, and just choose the 'login to profile' option vs 'create new profile'?
    3) Is there any chance for me to botch this up, using Preware/First Use and ruin a first time activation and make the phone relatively useless?

Thx for any feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by visigothwarrior View Post
    I've read this thread up and down, but it looks like I need to add to the fun...
    or
    B) Use webOS Doctor to get the phone updated to 1.4.5, bypass activation, and get webos/app catalogue/preware up and running for a few days, then go activate later

I'd like to do B), but have a few wonders from those who have done this... When I go to activate the phone a week from now, how will my setup be different? I ask, because I'm under the impression that activation/setup would normally bring me to a palm profile screen, where I'd throw in the magic number, to activate the phone, then after activation, it would take me back to the palm profile login/creation scree, where I'd create a new profile. But, since I've already bypassed activation and created a palm profile...
    1) How is this experience different?
    2) Would I see the exact same screens, and just choose the 'login to profile' option vs 'create new profile'?
    3) Is there any chance for me to botch this up, using Preware/First Use and ruin a first time activation and make the phone relatively useless?

Thx for any feedback
    After you get the Pixi booting using Option B, you don't need to redoctor and go through that process again. Basically, once Kitty Wireless/PPC gets your number ported in and activated, you just turn on your phone connection (if you turned it off while you awaited activation), open the phone app, type in *228 and your phone will activate so you can tart making calls.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    After you get the Pixi booting using Option B, you don't need to redoctor and go through that process again. Basically, once Kitty Wireless/PPC gets your number ported in and activated, you just turn on your phone connection (if you turned it off while you awaited activation), open the phone app, type in *228 and your phone will activate so you can tart making calls.
    @malpha. Great, thx for the feedback. Well, I went ahead and attempted to follow your 7 step guide you posted earlier in the post.

However, I seemed to have come across a hiccup.
    Here's what I did:

1) Ran webOS Doctor to get/ensure 1.4.5.1 got installed on my phone

2) Ran Palm Bypass Tool per the Palm/HP website. However, it did not install run as I expected per the description on the website. the site mentions to install via a terminal line. I never had to do that. When I opened the downloaded file it rebooted the phone for me. And then when I went to the next step to get Preware installed via webOS Quick Install (which I've done a bunch on some Pre's), Developer Mode was already on...weird. So, I can only guess that the newest Bypass Tool or Doctor automatically turns on Dev Mode? (whereas older versions didn't?)

3) While using WOSQI, I installed Preware. (I know malpha listed installing via terminal, so I'm wondering if this has made a difference. I would guess no, but please correct if wrong here)

4) I then went into Preware to look for the 2 Items you listed: Show First Use App and Enable Activation Patch. I saw 'Show First Use App', but did not see 'Enable Activation Patch'. So, I installed the 'Show First Use App'. Rebooted.

5) Then, I ran 'First Use', with only WiFi on. However, it turned on the cell radio (even though airplane mode was ON, hmmm). I got the spinny circle for a few mins, then got to what I imagine is the normal activation screens for both activating the phone, and eventually the palm profile. So, I aborted that. (not sure what I should exactly see when going the activation bypass route. are we still supposed to see activation screens and just not worry about them?)

6) So, attempting to play it safe, I then, went back to Preware, and looked again for 'Enable Activation Patch'. Didn't see it, but noticed, 'Enable Profile Creation -Activation Bypassed'. Then thought, "hmmmmm, is this what malpha meant?" Not sure, or if it was actually a different or updated patch/app? So, I installed it, then attempted to run 'First Use' again.

7) This time, it looks like I got the same pages. I was hoping to see Palm Profile options, but only got to the language options, and to the point where I could tap to make an emergency call. However, without me pressing anything on the screen, it just went to a 'Phone Activated' message. I assume this is bad? Or is this what I should be seeing to be able to get to the next screen which might allow Palm Profile setup. Aka, does it show a false 'phone activated' message during this path/process to get to where I can make a Palm Profile w/o having to activate.

8) So, now I'm wondering if I truly have an activated verizon phone when I intend to use it with PagePlus while I wait for a port? Wouldn't it want me to call Verizon if it truly activated the phone? Not sure, I've never done this type of activation bypass before.

Any feedback from anyone attempting/having the same experiences?
    Quote Originally Posted by visigothwarrior View Post
    @malpha. Great, thx for the feedback. Well, I went ahead and attempted to follow your 7 step guide you posted earlier in the post.

However, I seemed to have come across a hiccup.
    Here's what I did:

1) Ran webOS Doctor to get/ensure 1.4.5.1 got installed on my phone

2) Ran Palm Bypass Tool per the Palm/HP website. However, it did not install run as I expected per the description on the website. the site mentions to install via a terminal line. I never had to do that. When I opened the downloaded file it rebooted the phone for me. And then when I went to the next step to get Preware installed via webOS Quick Install (which I've done a bunch on some Pre's), Developer Mode was already on...weird. So, I can only guess that the newest Bypass Tool or Doctor automatically turns on Dev Mode? (whereas older versions didn't?)
    Yep, I mentioned running the bypass tool will reboot your phone in Developer Mode (Step 1).

3) While using WOSQI, I installed Preware. (I know malpha listed installing via terminal, so I'm wondering if this has made a difference. I would guess no, but please correct if wrong here)
    It could be, WOSQI has had problems installing Preware before and the Preware page used to tell anyone running 2.x to install using the official SDK. Personally, if you have your hands on a terminal and a functioning novacom, I think installing from the commandline is pretty much the simplest, guaranteed to work way.

4) I then went into Preware to look for the 2 Items you listed: Show First Use App and Enable Activation Patch. I saw 'Show First Use App', but did not see 'Enable Activation Patch'. So, I installed the 'Show First Use App'. Rebooted.
    That's not the exact name. Sorry about that, I figured people would just search for the words in the Preware search when the exact name didn't turn up. The exact name is: Enable Profile Creation - Activation Bypassed

5) Then, I ran 'First Use', with only WiFi on. However, it turned on the cell radio (even though airplane mode was ON, hmmm). I got the spinny circle for a few mins, then got to what I imagine is the normal activation screens for both activating the phone, and eventually the palm profile. So, I aborted that. (not sure what I should exactly see when going the activation bypass route. are we still supposed to see activation screens and just not worry about them?)
    It goes through just like the normal mode pretty much. But you need to have the other patch installed.

6) So, attempting to play it safe, I then, went back to Preware, and looked again for 'Enable Activation Patch'. Didn't see it, but noticed, 'Enable Profile Creation -Activation Bypassed'. Then thought, "hmmmmm, is this what malpha meant?" Not sure, or if it was actually a different or updated patch/app? So, I installed it, then attempted to run 'First Use' again.
    Yep.

7) This time, it looks like I got the same pages. I was hoping to see Palm Profile options, but only got to the language options, and to the point where I could tap to make an emergency call. However, without me pressing anything on the screen, it just went to a 'Phone Activated' message. I assume this is bad? Or is this what I should be seeing to be able to get to the next screen which might allow Palm Profile setup. Aka, does it show a false 'phone activated' message during this path/process to get to where I can make a Palm Profile w/o having to activate.
    No, it's not bad. This is what's supposed to happen. Just remember that when it gets to the gesture tutorial part and you have to flick up to demonstrate the up gesture, causing the First Use app to go into card view, that this is normal and you can just close out the setup at this point.

8) So, now I'm wondering if I truly have an activated verizon phone when I intend to use it with PagePlus while I wait for a port? Wouldn't it want me to call Verizon if it truly activated the phone? Not sure, I've never done this type of activation bypass before.
    No, you have not truly activated the phone so you can place calls via Verizon/PPC. The phone is "activated" in the sense that if you did this while in the US, you should have access to the US App Catalog.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by pezman726 View Post
    all this talk of verizion pixis, I hae a question about ATT pixis. I hae an extra one here, is it possible to run it without a SIM? I booted it up, and it gets stuck in a "sos only" please insert sim screen that I can't get off of!
    As far as I know, the gsm pixis need to have a SIM inside in order to do anything at all other than what you encountered. However, it does not have to be an active SIM.

I never understood this about phones.. many of my phones have been like this. No SIM, the phone only goes to a screen saying I need one. If I put in any SIM card, even one that was used for foreign travel but which has not been active in YEARS, the phone works perfectly fine (instead of a carrier it just says "inactive sim" on my older phones.. I assume the pixi would be the same). I don't understand why it requires one at all if it doesn't require one that actually works.

Anyway, if you have any old sim cards lying around (or in an old phone), then you can just use one of those to get the phone to work even if there is no network or data plan attached to the card. You will have to keep it in the phone, though, so you can't just borrow someone else's temporarily.

Although, if you do have a friend with a data plan attached to their SIM, it helps if you can borrow it just for the initial setup.. then you don't have to deal with patches at all for this. I lent my SIM to a coworker who bought an unlocked palm pixi (she liked mine so much she had to have one of her own!), and it made setup so much easier.

Oh, another thing to note with that though, once she put her own sim back in the phone (with no data plan), her battery kept wearing out really fast.. Doing nothing, even with the screen off, the battery was draining MUCH quicker than mine (I do have a data plan). I turned off data on her phone (NOT wifi, just data -- internet still works just fine through wifi) and the battery stopped draining so quickly. I have no idea if this was a problem specific only to her phone or to anyone who has no data plan.
    When I was travel, I often get a local SIM that I just swapped with my normal one. I'm sure you can buy a prepaid SIM for a pretty low cost. It won't have a lot of minutes, but it should do the job.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Ok here's the deal, I live in Colombia and I bought the pixi plus 1.4.5 with cdma tech from verizon in the US and it can't be activated for any carrier company here ('cus cdma is no longer supported in my country, don't know why...) but that's ok 'cus I wanted 2 use it as a Wi-Fi device only BUT, the person who bought it and shipped me the phone had the 'brilliant' idea of unpacked it and test it :@ sooo I don't have palm profile, carrier service or acces 2 the app catalog and many other stuff, which means no smartphone at all )':
    Is there any chance for me to get at least the good apps from the catalog (like facebook, twitter, messenger, pandora radio, and such) *.*??.
    Thanks for the help and sorry for my english
    btw, I'm extremely noob in webOS
    While waiting for a couple of brand-new Vzw Pixi +'s to arrive that I ordered for the kids, I'm hopeful that someone can confirm that I'll be able to set them up to use as intended.

Specifically, I'd like to activate them on PagePlus on one of their prepaid options, as the kids will need to make occassional calls. But, I only want them to be able to use WiFi data for App Store, web, email access.

I've read through this thread and it seems pretty straightforward to do the above -- after activation, I think all I need to do is just need to turn off the 3g (phone data) setting. Is this correct? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    While waiting for a couple of brand-new Vzw Pixi +'s to arrive that I ordered for the kids, I'm hopeful that someone can confirm that I'll be able to set them up to use as intended.

Specifically, I'd like to activate them on PagePlus on one of their prepaid options, as the kids will need to make occassional calls. But, I only want them to be able to use WiFi data for App Store, web, email access.

I've read through this thread and it seems pretty straightforward to do the above -- after activation, I think all I need to do is just need to turn off the 3g (phone data) setting. Is this correct? Thanks!
    Yup you got it right.
    I bought used palm pixi plus from Germany over the internet.... Pixi works fine, wi fi etc...But phone came with already created palm profile from previous user, so i want to create new one.. Is that possible having in mind that i'm from eastern europe, and also dont have support for Palm devices... In device info it shows ROW as carrier, and web os is 1.4.5... sorry for english...
    Quote Originally Posted by jpr01 View Post
    Alright, I have a Verizon Palm Pixi Pre that I got new for cheap. I ran the webOS doctor to update to 1.4.5. Then I used the activation bypass tool. Then I installed PreWare and the show First Use patch which by the way will not show up in Spanish.

I tried running First Use and it tries calling Verizon and fails because I am in Colombia, and there is no CDMA carrier here. When I try App Catalog, Updates, or Verizon Navigator it just sits there and doesn't find anything. I have it connected via WiFi.

Is there any way to get App Catalog to work?
    There's nothing you can do, I have the very same problem (Colombia también) and tried everything to get acces to the app catalog. Por lo menos con la Pixi porqe con la Pre se puede tener las apps sin el catalog.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bosgarage57 View Post
    Yup you got it right.
    Im late in the game here on doing this but I have to ask this question to see if I would be doing right. Yes I have read the forum since page 1
    So now that I have a Palm Pixi Plus (possibly getting 2 more for the kids) Can I port over the sprint numbers to page plus ?? This of course also doing the Doctoring required to get the phone up to date and turning off the 3g data service, so that the wifi can be used to access the palm profiles and accessing the apps. I was going to swap the Wifi Chip from the Verizon Pixi Plus over to a Sprint Pixi but then when it came time to activate it I was stopped dead in my tracks to the prompt online on saying "you need to change your plan options to continue" :/ . once seeing this is when I discovered I would need to add more data plans to my service with sprint. My kids hardly use the phone service so why even going to that extent. Anyways I think this page plus concept is the way to go and am simply asking what I asked above is correct
    thanks for any replies in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post

You can simply put the first one in airplane mode, but as soon as it finds a wireless router, it will be wiped. Step 1 is to realize that you simply cannot have the same profile on multiple devices.... unless you never ever want to use the internet on one of them, which would make webOS pretty frickin' lame.
    I put my old phone in airplane mode before I activated my new phone. If I run Developer Activation Bypass, will the contacts on the old phone still be there? (Would that be adequate to keep the phone from being wiped?) Or could I set up a different profile without losing the data that's already on the phone? (The power button is broken and I only want to use the phone as a secondary address book.)

So, can I run activation bypass on a phone that's in airplane mode? If so, will the contacts data on the phone be preserved?

Thanks,

Janet
    Ive read this thread and Im still lost....

With that said,I own a Palm Pixi-plus(at&t) and its showing me instructions on how to add SIM-SOS which I am lost on what exactlly that is and how I should go about getting it?
    Quote Originally Posted by jnull View Post
    I put my old phone in airplane mode before I activated my new phone. If I run Developer Activation Bypass, will the contacts on the old phone still be there? (Would that be adequate to keep the phone from being wiped?) Or could I set up a different profile without losing the data that's already on the phone? (The power button is broken and I only want to use the phone as a secondary address book.)

So, can I run activation bypass on a phone that's in airplane mode? If so, will the contacts data on the phone be preserved?

Thanks,

Janet
    I bought a Pre 3, removed the sim from my Pixi and put in in the Pre. I used a different HP account than I used for the Pixi. My Pixi still works great using wifi, and all the data is still there, as well as the apps I downloaded.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456