Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Alright, so heres the scoop.

These are all the steps that I performed to get App Catalog Access without activating my Verizon Palm Pixi Plus.

I used WebOS Doctor to make sure it was on 1.4.5. Then I used Palms Activation Bypass tool. From there I installed Preware. I couldn't find the First USE patch, so I found it on a thread here http://treo.discussion.treocentral.c...d.php?t=269972 and installed it via webos quick install. Used First Use App. Signed into the Profile that I had originally used on my Sprint Palm Pre ( I do not have that phone signed into any profile at the moment). It then gave me app catalog access but I rebooted by holding down alt sym r anyways. It booted up and started downloading everything from my profile, apps email accounts. etc. The App catalog still seems goofy, I have to open and close a lot but it seems to work.
    Thank me if I helped you.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantHeppes View Post

These are all the steps that I performed to get App Catalog Access without activating my Verizon Palm Pixi Plus.

I used WebOS Doctor to make sure it was on 1.4.5. Then I used Palms Activation Bypass tool. From there I installed Preware. I couldn't find the First USE patch, so I found it on a thread here http://treo.discussion.treocentral.c...d.php?t=269972 and installed it via webos quick install. Used First Use App. Signed into the Profile that I had originally used on my Sprint Palm Pre ( I do not have that phone signed into any profile at the moment). It then gave me app catalog access but I rebooted by holding down alt sym r anyways. It booted up and started downloading everything from my profile, apps email accounts. etc. The App catalog still seems goofy, I have to open and close a lot but it seems to work.
    Thanks...

But I'd still like to know what happens to a CDMA phone that has never been activated and then tries to create a Palm Profile.

I was "forced" to create a new Palm Profile when going from Pre -> Pixi, because the only paid apps I'd bought for the Pre were about 10 or 15 games (of which only 2 or so would transfer to the Pixi). So now I have my Pre-gaming profile and my Pixi-phone profile... both created while activated, so I'm STILL not sure what happens when a Palm Profile is created without a CDMA carrier plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Thanks...

But I'd still like to know what happens to a CDMA phone that has never been activated and then tries to create a Palm Profile.

I was "forced" to create a new Palm Profile when going from Pre -> Pixi, because the only paid apps I'd bought for the Pre were about 10 or 15 games (of which only 2 or so would transfer to the Pixi). So now I have my Pre-gaming profile and my Pixi-phone profile... both created while activated, so I'm STILL not sure what happens when a Palm Profile is created without a CDMA carrier plan.
    Not really sure what you are asking... once a Profile is created, its created and can be used on any webos phone.
    Thank me if I helped you.
    I started off with the doctor and activation bypass, but wanted access to the app catalog so I activated with Page Plus (ESN = MEID). The First Use app will force your phone to call to the network to get "programmed" and it wont succeed unless it's been activated somewhere. When going through the steps of creating a Palm Profile, be sure to be connected to wifi. I actually got stuck when they were trying to teach me the up gesture.... but it seems to be working fine now. App catalog access. $10 activation on page plus. Pixi Plus that i swear is faster than my Pre minus. The keyboard is fantastic too. I'd be a lot more excited if both devices got webOS 2.0... but I'm okay with just this for now.
    Not really sure what you are asking... once a Profile is created, its created and can be used on any webos phone.
    Not necessarily. It needs to be created in a certain way to gain App Catalog access. Most GSM users report problems of creating a palm profile with an unactivated device... and then having no access to the App Catalog.

I don't think that could happen on a CDMA device. But still... if the profile is created without CDMA service... does this ruin access to the App Catalog or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    CDMA first ever Palm Profile creation and device record.
    If cell signal is required for CDMA phones, you won't be able to create a Palm Profile.
    If you're able, either a cell signal is not required and IP may be used, or the device has been activated before and had a profile created with it.
    Cell service is required for CDMA phones, but the Meta-Doctor allows us to bypass activation and First Use... running First Use at a later time. At that point, while still not activated... and a Palm Profile is BEING CREATED... will that user have access to the full App Catalog?

Btw: activation and profile creation is one procedure for GSM phones, as no provisioning or whatever takes place. You pop in a SIM and are instantly connected to the SIM's network.
    Makes sense...
    Quote Originally Posted by thrrgilag707 View Post
    I've been following this thread for the last couple of days after picking up the Pixi Plus last week. I was able to activate the phone without any issue on pageplus, used the Palm bypass tool to get past the profile creation and setup wi-fi, then installed preware and the first use patch to setup my Palm Profile. So far things look like they are working. I can get into the App Catalog and I don't notice anything missing. So now I've got a WebOS device for tinkering and possibly development. Thanks for those who have provided the tips and advice.
    this worked great for me, but i want to add that the palm bypass tool is at Developing on an Unactivated Device - HP Palm Developer Center, and scroll down to "Running the Activation-Bypass Tool"

Super easy, no meta-doctor, and only cost me $9.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johncase3 View Post
    You can always activate a Verizon pixi on Page Plus. Activation is free, you can put a $10 pin on it good for 4 months. That will buy more than enough data to get you started and it activates in the normal way without needing to bypass. ($1.20/MB) It cost me 9c in data to connect to the palm server. Then you have a working backup phone for whatever too...
    Just a word of warning - the latest info I have from PagePlus stated clearly that they will not activate ANY iPhones. I don't know what the story is but I wonder if this will spread past the iPhone to other smartphones.
    If you have a brand new CDMA device and you Meta-Doctor it, are you able to create a Palm Profile via wifi or not? Once you select the language, does it say Activated or is the provisioning step required here for CDMA? Sorry, but I've never done this on a CDMA device. Perhaps you should PM Rod.
    hmm, i still don't know that answer, because i completed the activation through pageplus and did the provisioning. but that all happened before creating the profile.

once i bypassed profile creation, got on wifi, made the first use icon visible, i was able to create a profile over wifi.

sorry i can't be more helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Just a word of warning - the latest info I have from PagePlus stated clearly that they will not activate ANY iPhones. I don't know what the story is but I wonder if this will spread past the iPhone to other smartphones.
    it's probably specific to the iphone, because apple is super restrictive...
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    i am giving my sprint pre- to my son. he only needs wifi. someone gave me a brand new pre plus for verizon and i want to use it on pageplus. any tips? do i need to do anything at all? or im going to be able to use my pre plus for phonecalls/text/wifi without preware?
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    i am giving my sprint pre- to my son. he only needs wifi. someone gave me a brand new pre plus for verizon and i want to use it on pageplus. any tips? do i need to do anything at all? or im going to be able to use my pre plus for phonecalls/text/wifi without preware?
    Did the sprint pre number also went to your son? Or do you want to use that number on the new pre? If the later, then you need to have the number ported over to P+. You need to call P+ to have your new pre activated. Have your pin number ready to go and right after activation, load it and you're good to go.
    I bought a Palm Pixi Plus in hopes of trying out its calendar feature before I actually commit to a smartphone with a contract (I'm doing the same thing with a BlackBerry--my Palm PDA that I've been using for years is dying, and they don't make it anymore). I was able to run WebOS Doctor without incident, and I was able to run SDK in preparation for the Bypass Activation Tool. However, when I got to the last step--actually running the Bypass Activation Tool--I got an error message. Any other Mac users out there know what happened? Am I actually going to have to get a contract with Verizon in order to simply try out the Pixi Plus's calendar? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

I used WebOS Doctor to make sure it was on 1.4.5. Then I used Palms Activation Bypass tool. From there I installed Preware. I couldn't find the First USE patch, so I found it on a thread here and installed it via webos quick install. Used First Use App. Signed into the Profile that I had originally used on my Sprint Palm Pre ( I do not have that phone signed into any profile at the moment). It then gave me app catalog access but I rebooted by holding down alt sym r anyways. It booted up and started downloading everything from my profile, apps email accounts. etc. The App catalog still seems goofy, I have to open and close a lot but it seems to work.
    Thanks for the steps.. I am going to try it out when I receive my Verizon Pixi Plus. One question based on other comments. Was your Verizon Palm Pixi Plus new and never activated before you tried above steps?
    OK, question. I have a Sprint Pixi Plus that I set up for a friend. I originally used the Palm By-Pass tool to be able to test out the phone to make sure it works 100%. I was able to install Preware and Ubur Kernel as well as other patches.

The phone has now been added to a Sprint account so will running the First Use App allow a palm profile to be set up? Also will it delete the programs already on the phone or list link them. Wanting to know if I need to uninstall the Kernel and patches first.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    can anyone help me figure out why the flashlight patch won't work for me on this pixi plus ??
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpman6235 View Post
    No need to activate and no need for metadoctor..
    Use the official palm bypass tool, then install preware and install the "firstuse" patch.
    Wow.. You are so so so Great Man ... Finally I can download programs from the store

Thank you very much
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Not necessarily. It needs to be created in a certain way to gain App Catalog access. Most GSM users report problems of creating a palm profile with an unactivated device... and then having no access to the App Catalog.

I don't think that could happen on a CDMA device. But still... if the profile is created without CDMA service... does this ruin access to the App Catalog or not?
    grndslm, you seem to be fairly knowledgeable in this area. So....by chance are you (or anyone else reading this) aware of any way to activate a new Pixi on Boost Mobile or Virgin Mobile?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    can anyone help me figure out why the flashlight patch won't work for me on this pixi plus ??
    I know this is a simple answer but I had read before that the patches were only made for the Pre. They did not have a method to hit the hardware of the Pixi the same way.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    I received both of the pixi’s that I ordered. One that I ordered for my dad from dailysteals.com to replace his aging centro on Verizon and the other from 1saleaday.com that I ordered a couple of days later when I realized that I should have gotten two so that I could use one as a wifi only mp3 / video player. I set my dad’s up on Saturday with no problem on Verizon and gave him a little tutorial on how to use webOs. He has used it all weekend and loves it. I got mine today and got it set up today. After reading several different posts on how I could set up my pixi for wifi only use, I finally decided on the page plus route. This just seemed like the easiest way to go where I didn’t have to worry about if my app catalog would work or not. Plus it just seemed like it would be quicker than doing the bypass and meta-doctor route. I went on eBay and searched for “page plus” and then sorted by “lowest price first”. There are several different people you can purchase your activation from for only $.99 with “buy it now”. (I would tell you who I got mine through but many of you would think that was me just trying to drum up business.) Good luck to everyone that got a pixi for wifi only use. I’m using mine now and love it. I just thought I would give my experience in getting mine set up and how easy it was.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast