Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hpark21 View Post
    Actually, if you activate the phone on Page Plus, you get $2 credit. THAT is enough to to create palm profile I heard.

So, it will cost virtually nothing (well, I THINK most dealers will activate for $1 or $2, but you get $2 credit).
    True, but I didn't mention that because AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $if$ $you$ $activate$ $via$ $P$+ $instead$ $of$ $through$ $a$ $dealer$, $you$ $don$'$t$ $get$ $a$ $starter$ $credit$. $Small$ $perk$ $for$ $dealers$.
    Page Plus Cellular - Talk Smart
    Palm M100 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755P > Palm Pro > Palm Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by hpark21 View Post
    Actually, if you activate the phone on Page Plus, you get $2 credit. THAT is enough to to create palm profile I heard.

So, it will cost virtually nothing (well, I THINK most dealers will activate for $1 or $2, but you get $2 credit).
    I might have to try that out.
    What happens if you allow your Page Plus account to expire? Does the Wifi and App catalog turn off or is it still a fully functional phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by slimsam99999 View Post
    What happens if you allow your Page Plus account to expire? Does the Wifi and App catalog turn off or is it still a fully functional phone?
    You should still be able to use your phone as a wifi device. You'll still have App Cat access.
    Quote Originally Posted by slimsam99999 View Post
    Once the Palm Profile is created with the "necessary precautions"... it should be good until 12/21/12. .... or the end of the world, whichever you prefer.
    Thanks for all of the precious info! Hence if I activate the phone with pageplus with virtually nothing, I can use Palm Profile even after expiration of the pageplus account... It sounds good... I have a one more stupid question... After activation with pageplus, in order to access Palm Profile with only wifi, what I need? Nothing? or Meta-doctor? or first-app of preware? In fact, I am confusing between two, meta-doctor and preware. Thank you very much again...
    Once you've got you Palm Profile, you need do nothing more.

You can use wifi normally and receive OTA updates over wifi, as well.

It's only when you need to Doctor or replace the phone that you will need the Meta-Doctor to bypass the First Use app.
    I have a question hopefully someone can answer. I already have a Pre. I bought another one form a precentral guy & just got it. I want to switch my service over to the new one but I'd like to still use my old one with wifi. How do I do this without have to change my Palm Profile, I want to use my apps that I've bought on both phones, like a PDA at home. Is there anyway to do this & if so, is it easy enough for a beginner to make work. Will I have any problems with both having the same profile. I don't need to keep adding to the old one, just want to use what I have now. If I put it in airplane mode will that be enough? Thanks.
    Hey Guys, new here. I also got in one of these 'deal' a day websites and got a pixi plus.

It's a wonderful device and I hope to continue learning about Palm. I was impatient with activating it on my Pageplus account so I decided to do the Bypass Activation to give it a test run. When I did it, it never asked for my Palm Profile, so I never felt the need to make one. But I tried getting to the App Catalog and it would not go. I ported my number over to the Pixi Plus through a Pageplus dealer. It went through (except maybe mms) but I still cannot access the App Catalog. I was wondering if anyone could steer me in the right direction on how to make a Palm Profile and log in on it on the phone and if any other way to get to the App Catalog. I appreciate any help I can get on this so thanks in advance and hope to continue learning about the Palm community.
    Quote Originally Posted by becrazy2 View Post
    I have a question hopefully someone can answer. I already have a Pre. I bought another one form a precentral guy & just got it. I want to switch my service over to the new one but I'd like to still use my old one with wifi. How do I do this without have to change my Palm Profile, I want to use my apps that I've bought on both phones, like a PDA at home. Is there anyway to do this & if so, is it easy enough for a beginner to make work. Will I have any problems with both having the same profile. I don't need to keep adding to the old one, just want to use what I have now. If I put it in airplane mode will that be enough? Thanks.
    First of all... backup EVERYTHING on your old device that you deem important, or tedious to set up, even.

Secondly... you cannot have the same profile on two devices. If you try use the same profile on a second, "new" device... your "old" device will be wiped clean and you run the risk of losing those "little things" I warned you to backup.

You can simply put the first one in airplane mode, but as soon as it finds a wireless router, it will be wiped. Step 1 is to realize that you simply cannot have the same profile on multiple devices.... unless you never ever want to use the internet on one of them, which would make webOS pretty frickin' lame.

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99 View Post
    Hey Guys, new here. I also got in one of these 'deal' a day websites and got a pixi plus.

It's a wonderful device and I hope to continue learning about Palm. I was impatient with activating it on my Pageplus account so I decided to do the Bypass Activation to give it a test run. When I did it, it never asked for my Palm Profile, so I never felt the need to make one. But I tried getting to the App Catalog and it would not go. I ported my number over to the Pixi Plus through a Pageplus dealer. It went through (except maybe mms) but I still cannot access the App Catalog. I was wondering if anyone could steer me in the right direction on how to make a Palm Profile and log in on it on the phone and if any other way to get to the App Catalog. I appreciate any help I can get on this so thanks in advance and hope to continue learning about the Palm community.
    Follow the link in my sit about installing homebrew schtuff. Once you have Preware installed, you should be able to find a patch called Unhide First Use App, or something like that. From there, you should be able to at least create your profile.

Only problem is that if you create your profile without activating the phone... you will likely have a limited Catalog or, even still, no Catalog at all. I would simply create the Profile after I had access... then that very same profile is good to swap between multiple "unactivated" webOS devices after that point. You cannot have the same profile on more than one device, BTW.
    Wait a few days. I think hp is addressing the multiple profile issue. Then maybe you can have one profile on all your devices.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    Thanks for the detailed info here and in all the other threads everyone - it comes a day late for me, I thought airplane mode would be enough to protect my Pre+ to be turned back on after receiving my Pixi+, so I learned the hard way - WiFi will also be turned off next time I swap phones

Fingers crossed you're correct IcerC - that would certainly make switching between the two a lot less frustrating!

Clarice
    Last edited by shrxwin; 02/03/2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: fix a typo
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    First of all... backup EVERYTHING on your old device that you deem important, or tedious to set up, even.

Secondly... you cannot have the same profile on two devices. If you try use the same profile on a second, "new" device... your "old" device will be wiped clean and you run the risk of losing those "little things" I warned you to backup.

You can simply put the first one in airplane mode, but as soon as it finds a wireless router, it will be wiped. Step 1 is to realize that you simply cannot have the same profile on multiple devices.... unless you never ever want to use the internet on one of them, which would make webOS pretty frickin' lame.

Follow the link in my sit about installing homebrew schtuff. Once you have Preware installed, you should be able to find a patch called Unhide First Use App, or something like that. From there, you should be able to at least create your profile.

Only problem is that if you create your profile without activating the phone... you will likely have a limited Catalog or, even still, no Catalog at all. I would simply create the Profile after I had access... then that very same profile is good to swap between multiple "unactivated" webOS devices after that point. You cannot have the same profile on more than one device, BTW.
    Have you ever run the first use after using the Palm made bypass activation?

I have already owned a Palm Pre on Sprint, but lent it to my brother in which he started his on profile. I now hope to pick up this Palm Pixi Plus, and I am trying to decide whether I should go the Page Plus route or bypass activation and first use app.

So can anyone confirm that with a Premade palm profile (on Sprint, not that that matters) will work with app catalog access when runnning bypass activation and then first use app?

Thanks.
    Thank me if I helped you.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I've been following this thread for the last couple of days after picking up the Pixi Plus last week. I was able to activate the phone without any issue on pageplus, used the Palm bypass tool to get past the profile creation and setup wi-fi, then installed preware and the first use patch to setup my Palm Profile. So far things look like they are working. I can get into the App Catalog and I don't notice anything missing. So now I've got a WebOS device for tinkering and possibly development. Thanks for those who have provided the tips and advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by thrrgilag707 View Post
    I've been following this thread for the last couple of days after picking up the Pixi Plus last week. I was able to activate the phone without any issue on pageplus, used the Palm bypass tool to get past the profile creation and setup wi-fi, then installed preware and the first use patch to setup my Palm Profile. So far things look like they are working. I can get into the App Catalog and I don't notice anything missing. So now I've got a WebOS device for tinkering and possibly development. Thanks for those who have provided the tips and advice.
    If you activated the phone with pageplus, why did you use bypass tool to get past profile creation? Can't you setup palm profile directly? My phone didn't arrive yet, so I have LOTS of question... Have a nice weekend!
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I activated the phone but didn't add any data, or at least it wasn't able to access data at that moment. Probably a result of activating it without choosing any sort of plan up front. That being said I suppose it's not 100% necessary to activate it on a carrier first, but I did anyway out of paranoia. Since it arrived with 1.4.0 I'm going through and downloading the 1.4.5 update before I muck around with too much else.
    Hmm, I wonder if I even have to Page Plus it if I am gonna only use it on wifi and use a profile that already has been activated on Sprint (dont have the phone anymore).
    Thank me if I helped you.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantHeppes View Post
    Hmm, I wonder if I even have to Page Plus it if I am gonna only use it on wifi and use a profile that already has been activated on Sprint (dont have the phone anymore).
    Absolutely not.

You'll still need to bypass activation, tho...

It won't let you sign into your profile until after activation.
    grndsl= Can you explain further what you mean by "necessary precautions"? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tabalard View Post
    grndsl= Can you explain further what you mean by "necessary precautions"? Thanks
    Read the prior posts in this thread.

I think there's a difference in the way GSM and CDMA phones work in regard to once being activated for a region, always being activated for a region. And if it doesn't activate it never will.... I think they differ in that respect.

But I'll still say I'm going to create my phone while it's temporarily activated. There is one method in this thread I'm definitely gonna try.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast