1.    #1  
    Allow me precursor this: I know there are similar stories about this, but I want to share my experience.

Also of interest: I work for Google programming and programming Android, so I have a intimate knowledge of how the OS works.

I've been a fan of WebOS since I got my Pre on sprint back in October, before I got my google job here in Ann Arbor. After I split with my girlfriend, whom I had the sprint plan with, I buddied on to my moms Verizon account. When I switched to Verizon I got a Pixi. I liked the Pre, a lot, but I'm a huge fan of miniature things, so I decided I'd give the Pixi a go.

I fell in love with it, the form factor, the keyboard, the tight build (until the back started to peel apart) the tight homebrew community, everything was great.

But a few months into my Android gig my supervisor offered to give me and some of my co-workers Droid 2's or X's, I opted for the Droid 2 as I dislike most on screen keyboards save for Apple's.

Through my job, I've learned to almost hate and cringe upon using Android. Though a lot of the issues I have with it are being fixed, I kept looking at the corner of my desk at my Pixi.

With the announcement of the iPhone coming to Verizon, and my Droid 2 having the habit of randomly restarting and blinking the front LED randomly, I decided I was going to sell my Droid 2, and switch back. I did so, and boy am I relieved. Even the Pixi is a better daily driver than one of the best Android phones out there, sure it isn't as fast or powerful, but it's elegant, and simple.

Long story short I really hope HP delivers with their February 9th announcements, and gives us a similar phone to the pixi, in size anyway. I love how darn small the thing is. If they do I'm in, if not I'll probably get the iPhone, which I know I'd be fine with.
    Amen to that my friend. I have a Droid Pro for work. I thought I could fool myself into thinking it was a kind of huge Pixi. No such luck.

Really hoping HPalm comes up with some killer hardware.
    Very interesting insight and even more interesting since you work for Google. Haven't heard much about the D2 besides the R2D2 option, but what was the major hangup?

I thought Froyo was pretty polished, was it just missing something compared to other Android options, or was it simply to complex feature wise. Wow, I'm sure it wasn't your ability since you work for Google and either way am glad your back. Sorli..
    Lately I love my Pixi more, they couldn't invent a cuter, nicer and amazing phone,
    I love everything about and even if they won't come up with a new and improved
    one, it will still be a damn good phone than
    a lot of others that's in the market.

I can't imagine that they will ignore all of us that don't like the form factory of the
    Pre, there isn't a company stupid enough to betray so many users and to relay
    on one phone to lead the way so i'm sure they'll improve something
    and even if not, it's still a gr8 phone.
    if hp releases a pixi 2, i hope they change its screen to 320x480. it can be done without increasing the size of the phone.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Very interesting insight and even more interesting since you work for Google. Haven't heard much about the D2 besides the R2D2 option, but what was the major hangup?

I thought Froyo was pretty polished, was it just missing something compared to other Android options, or was it simply to complex feature wise. Wow, I'm sure it wasn't your ability since you work for Google and either way am glad your back. Sorli..

First of all, the Droid 2, while built really solid, no complaints there, often gains a screen tearing kind of effect while scrolling, due to the resolution and motoblur skin ontop of Froyo.

Without saying too much, I didn't use MY Droid with Froyo, so you can gather that the next update down the line didn't much appease my concerns either. Aesthetically, Android is all over the place, still. WebOS has a certain... standard, and it looks beautiful.

I've always compared Android to PC, and both iOS and WebOS to Mac OSX. Both iOS and WebOS are extremely pretty and simple to use. Android is just a mess.

In time, I'm sure Android will get it's act together (it very well better, otherwise what am I fighting for at my job?) but it will never be what WebOS is to me.

I've switched back to my Pixi as my daily driver, and I have zero complaints.

.. Although I do agree that if there is to be a "Pixi 2" with a physical keyboard, they should pump up the screen resolution.

ALSO, I do imagine that HPalm will give us current Pixi users 2.0, as hinted by their Christmas Poem put out after the event announcement. Very exciting.
    Last edited by Sketh; 01/13/2011 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Adding Afterthought
    I bought a Pixi Plus while I was in the USA or Christmas, and I am really impressed too. Yes, I think the screen could be a little bigger (slightly shrink the gesutre are & bump down the keyboard a bit?), but it really is a neat form factor and I think it looks nicer than the Pre.

The speed is poor, sometimes it can barely handle the multitasking, but I think the design is worth keeping. Personally, I can't imagine why this phone wasn't more of a success. WebOS is even better than I imagined (it is so smooth, and gestures/cards are easy and fun), and the phone is a nice small size. Also, although I think the ap catalogue could improve, I have quite a few apps on my phone and feel quite satisfied (not to mention the homebrew/preware is amazing!)
    very good post, appreciate your opinion, and glad you are back.

my wife has a droid 2. Nice hardware, has a keyboard, nice screen size, good battery life, lots and lots of apps.

what's not good? Constant issues with wifi disconnecting, screen not turning on at times when the phone rings thus rendering it useless, literally a "blurring" effect when scrolling (guess this is part of the motoblur as we didn't have an issue with the droid incredible she had before that), heavy phone with a case on, "dull" keyboard (not much different than the pre's keyboard only more keys and more complicated with the number of keys), weather widgets not always working, occasional times when the phone "hangs" not responding to touch input, and clunky user interface (she has not tried any of the other launchers). To top it all off, the original droid 2 has been discontinued after only THREE months! We are sending it back to get a refurbished phone because the screen blackouts are getting irritating.
    meanwhile my original pre plus is chugging along fine.

regardless, it's really not much of flagship device for vzw. If the droid X is anything similar, I think the iphone will eat up a large chunk of droid sales.

palm or hp phones will not reach android or iphone sales numbers, but if hp can bring a competitive product portfolio to the market, with reliable hardware (i know, a big if for palm based on recent track record) that includes a key board, can broaden the developer base (also a BIG if), and have killer cloud features and integration with other webOS devices, I think hp palm will have a place in the marketplace.

the droid 2 is not a good phone...maybe the droid pro is better, and we're hoping vzw sends us that when we return the droid 2, but I totally see why you came back to webOS.
    i think you should apply for a job at HP.

lol
    Do any people at your work give you grief for using the Pixi instead of the Droid 2?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Do any people at your work give you grief for using the Pixi instead of the Droid 2?
    I get more flack for being an Apple fan. I'm often wearing a T-shirt that says "Steve Jobs Lives" and they posted a blown up picture of me from the iPad launch and turned it into a treason poster. I can't help that I was first in line, though.

No, they all agree WebOS is a beautiful operating system. Just the hardware needs to get up to par, and then developers need to get behind it, which I hope will happen. But HP really needs to market the phones right. Android really is an awful idea for someone who just wants apps and internet. For a huge nerd, it can be great. But WebOS could better serve any common individual on a day to day basis, almost every time.

PLUS I still have my Droid 2 of course, for programming. I just leave it at my desk instead of taking it home.

And as for working for HP, if there was a way to do that from Michigan, I probably would. But I doubt they could beat the food here at Google.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Amen to that my friend. I have a Droid Pro for work. I thought I could fool myself into thinking it was a kind of huge Pixi. No such luck.

Really hoping HPalm comes up with some killer hardware.
    Me too (the work thing, I'm not a Pixi user). The keyboard is less friendly than my Pre, the apps are good to show off to another Droid user, but not really practical for me.

Don't really need to identify songs using my phone (Shazam) and since people talking TO their phones in public is even more annoying to me than people talking ON their phones, I never use that feature either. (also have a Blackberry and never use it on that phone either)

And the thing randomly reboot all the time... and my device is mostly stock, except for an internet radio app and a few games.

It's been relegated to a backup phone and one I use if I want to save the battery on my Pre. But since I have the extended battery, that is not too much of a problem.

C
    I love my Pixi. Everything about it is awesome. The only thing I envy about the Droid's is their App Market. There are so many apps they have that I wish Palm would offer. For example: the Droid offers a free craiglist app while Palm offers a craigslist app for 3.99.

Hopefully HP expands their development team and starts jamming out better free/inexpensive apps.

Palm forever!!