Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello folks. Ive decided to sell my blackberry as im very bored of it and since verizon only has windows mobile, android, and palm phones available. Im choosing palm since i hate adroid os and windows mobile sucks.

So im trying to decide which palm phone to get. I love the palm pixi's form factor. It's the form ive always wanted for blackberry. Meanwhile i hear the pre is more powerful. Will both phones receive the web os 2.0 update? And is the pixi alot slower than the pre? I really want to choose the pixi but i need to know how the os runs on it? Is it slow and laggy? I like apps but i don't need to run 10,000 of them at once. And also im not a fan of sliders. That being said. Do you guys think i should pick up the pixi or the more powerful pre? Thanks for the advice.
    If you're on Verizon, hold out until the Pre 2 is available - much better spec than either the Pre Plus or Pixi Plus.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    ...unless you are getting a used one. The Pre can be overclocked and has a better display. the Pre will eventually be able to play flash, the Pixi won't (according to the webOS 2.0 information elsewhere on this site).

The downside to the Pre is that it's basically plastic, and there have been quite a few problems with the sliding keyboard. However, I have a verizon pre+ and I've been happy with mine.

If you grab a used one, you can save your upgrade for the Pre2 and/or whatever webOS phones Verizon offers "in the coming months".

Everyone assumes that all that will be announced during CES in January, so it's only a short wait to find out what Palm is doing in 2011

... oh, and welcome to your new addiction. it's almost impossible to put webOS down once you've tried it...
  4.    #4  
    I heard about the pre 2. Im not using my upgrade yet. So wht im doing is using my cash to buy a palm off of ebay. It's basically a trade. Meanwhile i can wait for new phones to release. Right now im anticipating the pre 2, blackberry storm 3 or 4(we can't figure it out yet lol) and the verizon iphone. So this is basically a stop gap phone for me. But hopefully i fall in love with web os. It looks to me like a better more pleasant to look at blackberry os.
    The Pre 2 should be out on Verizon shortly. Although it is a slider which you don't like, the specs blow the Pre plus and the Pixi plus away. The OS on the pixi doesnt run slow. But the Pre Plus can be overclocked to 1Ghz and the Pixi only to 800Mhz. The Specs on the Pre are better than the Pixi plus and more stuff is developed for the pre that cant run on the pixi due to the specs. If you can wait even longer, Bigger things are rumored to be announced next month. I would AT LEAST wait another month.
    Quote Originally Posted by titansjonne View Post
    Hello folks. Ive decided to sell my blackberry as im very bored of it and since verizon only has windows mobile, android, and palm phones available. Im choosing palm since i hate adroid os and windows mobile sucks.

So im trying to decide which palm phone to get. I love the palm pixi's form factor. It's the form ive always wanted for blackberry. Meanwhile i hear the pre is more powerful. Will both phones receive the web os 2.0 update? And is the pixi alot slower than the pre? I really want to choose the pixi but i need to know how the os runs on it? Is it slow and laggy? I like apps but i don't need to run 10,000 of them at once. And also im not a fan of sliders. That being said. Do you guys think i should pick up the pixi or the more powerful pre? Thanks for the advice.
    Welcome to P|C!
    At stock settings the Pixi and Pre have the same synthetic performance until you have alot of cards open then the Pre start handling it better. For gaming performance the pre will run circles around the pixi due to a MUCH better gpu and larger screen helps with gaming Since your coming from a blackberry, the Pre does have a slightly wider keyboard layout over the pixi that may help your transition better. Honestly the only thing that would keep you from getting a Pre over the Pixi for you is that you mentioned you hate sliders while the Pixi is a candybar design.

Since your coming from a blackberry, the Pre does have a slightly wider keyboard layout over the pixi that may help your transition better. If you want flash then the pre it is too for pixi wont get flash at release and Prolly will never get it later on.

I really would worry about either device being slow for this community can show how to fix it safely
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    The Pre 2 should be out on Verizon shortly. Although it is a slider which you don't like, the specs blow the Pre plus and the Pixi plus away. The OS on the pixi doesnt run slow. But the Pre Plus can be overclocked to 1Ghz and the Pixi only to 800Mhz. The Specs on the Pre are better than the Pixi plus and more stuff is developed for the pre that cant run on the pixi due to the specs. If you can wait even longer, Bigger things are rumored to be announced next month. I would AT LEAST wait another month.
    Yeah, C.E.S. starts January 6th. No guarantee that new webOS stuff will be released/announced then, but many are speculating that an announcement of new hardware, at the very least, will happen there.
    I heard about the pre 2. Im not using my upgrade yet. So wht im doing is using my cash to buy a palm off of ebay. It's basically a trade. Meanwhile i can wait for new phones to release. Right now im anticipating the pre 2, blackberry storm 3 or 4(we can't figure it out yet lol) and the verizon iphone. So this is basically a stop gap phone for me. But hopefully i fall in love with web os. It looks to me like a better more pleasant to look at blackberry os.
    great strategy, especially if you overclock the pre+, which is really easy to do. it will probably also be harder to find a used Pixi+ for sale.

in terms of blackberry, don't hold your breath. they just bought a UI design company to dig them out of their antiquated mess of touchscreen uselessness
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Hmm. Well like i said im just trying to get something to replace my blackberry. If the pre 2 will be out next month then i can use my upgrade on that. Meanwhile im just looking for a phone to get me through there. My blackberry freezes constantly and reboots randomly so even the pixi is a step up. My thinking is get a pixi or pre now, get used to the palm os andtry and get a feel for it. Then if i like it, use my upgrade on the pre 2 when it releases and just sell my pre or pixi for some extra cash in my pocket. I did the same thing with my blackberry. Except as of now RIM is not doing anything to keep me there. What is the keyboard on the palm phones like? Are they strong? As much as i love my BB keyboard, it just feels to cheap for me, as well as the rest of the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Yeah, C.E.S. starts January 6th. No guarantee that new webOS stuff will be released/announced then, but many are speculating that an announcement of new hardware, at the very least, will happen there.
    Palm has reserved a very large room, suitable for a launch event. that's how they announced the original Pre.
    Getting the Pre2 on Verizon will most likely cause you that upgrade token while getter the Pre Plus used wont. You can one from markets like here or craigslist for a very good price, oftenly cheaper than the subsidized cost. This is if you to try webos now and now burn you upgrade token while the world waits what happens at CES.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    also remember that a couple drops of epoxy and the slider is solid. presto, you have a Pixi+ on steroids.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    great strategy, especially if you overclock the pre+, which is really easy to do. it will probably also be harder to find a used Pixi+ for sale.

in terms of blackberry, don't hold your breath. they just bought a UI design company to dig them out of their antiquated mess of touchscreen uselessness
    Yea my major gripe with BB is that they just don't compete with the competition. Ive had blackberry os 6 on my 9650 and i have to say, that was the final straw. I said " You guys roll out a brand new os that isn't even better looking than the palmos." After i said that i started thinking about how the palmos is also vry simple and business but unlike blackberry os, it's very nice to look at and gives you a usable web browser without having to use 3rd party software.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Getting the Pre2 on Verizon will most likely cause you that upgrade token while getter the Pre Plus used wont. You can one from markets like here or craigslist for a very good price, oftenly cheaper than the subsidized cost. This is if you to try webos now and now burn you upgrade token while the world waits what happens at CES.
    Right now im deciding on the pre plus or pixi plus on verizon. I won't use my upgrade unil next year when i see the other phones that are released.
    fyi, PalmOS ran on the old Treo/Centro phones. The Pre/Pix phones run webOS.

just sayin
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    fyi, PalmOS ran on the old Treo/Centro phones. The Pre/Pix phones run webOS.

just sayin
    Lol right. I got the names mixed up lol. I think im allowed that being a noobie
    To answer your question, Id say if you are just looking for something to hold you over until something better comes out, a Pre Plus or Pixi Plus off of ebay will be just fine. Dont use your upgrade on a Pre 2 yet.
  19.    #19  
    Let me give you guys a breakdown of how i use my phone throughout the day and you tell me if you think the pixi will be too slow to handle it:

Wake up. Check twitter and facebook. Maybe use the webrowser to skim some morning links.

Go to work. Text and use twitter and facebook some more for most of the day. Maybe play a few games during break like angry birds or something.( i have an ipod touch so i don't need next get gaming lol)

Go to school. Text tweet and use the web browser during class. LOL

Head back home. More texting and twitter with facebook and more web browsing every now and then. now i have my computer so im really just texting and using twitter along with a few phone calls.

End day. Thought?
    Wait for the new webOS coming out next year and for now get a Pre Plus to experience the awesomeness of webOS.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast