Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Hi,

I did realized recently Palm Pixi PLUS cost 100 in O2-UK P&G option. Could anyone please share with me own experiences.

I'm not asking about this device generally, I would like to know about this phone with O2-UK network. Any pros and cons?

Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    If you are after a webos phone without the headache of the slide mechanism of the Palm pre/pre plus then yes its not bad. The only thing is that the screen is a tad on the small side.

- The battery will give you about a day (without GPS turned on)
    - Camera (don't get your hopes up unless you have good light)
    - UI (great)
    - Web experience (better than Nokia but not as good as the iphone)
    - Apps (enough to satisfy but not as good as the Apple app store)
    - Bluetooth (audio only, and that's a pain)
    - Memory (could do with more)

Yes, I do own a Palm Pixi Plus and also a Iphone. I prefer my pixi because of the physical keyboard

kongluong
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Thanks for reply, I really appreciate it.

- I was warned about battery life. When I had iPhone 3G before I charged it every single day - this is not a problem.
    - Camera - I don't really care about the camera. It could happen I'll do some occasional photo, but I don't really need a good camera in this phone.
    - UI - I'm expecting great.
    - Web experience - I saw some reviews and wasn't so bad. I'm not trying to compare to iPhone - I did realized Palm Pixi Plus cost about 20% of current price of new iPhone 4.
    - Apps - asking about that, I meant all necessary system applications, like Calendar, Phone-book, File Manager etc.

I'm really curious is Palm Pixi Plus is really slow as often described.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I work for O2 as a Guru, and bought a Pixi Plus as I'm a WebOS fan.

It's a great handset for the money, but battery life is a bit of a weakness - the handset can keep a lot of online services sync'd up until the battery dies. I struggle to get a full day of moderate-for-me use, but... My moderate use is very heavy for my good lady wife.

WebOS 2 arrives in a week, which promises many improvements. It won't improve the camera or small screen, but is claimed to help battery life...

Will my Pixi replace my BlackBerry 9700? It is not as functional, but is prettier to use... Currently my BlackBerry is offline and the Pixi works well but needs recharging three to four times as often.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DervMan View Post
    It's a great handset for the money, but battery life is a bit of a weakness - the handset can keep a lot of online services sync'd up until the battery dies. I struggle to get a full day of moderate-for-me use, but... My moderate use is very heavy for my good lady wife.
    If I remember correctly, I had HTC Hermes before, iPhone 3G and many other phones, and so many of them need to be charged every day.

WebOS 2 arrives in a week, which promises many improvements. It won't improve the camera or small screen, but is claimed to help battery life...
    Due to weather condition I have to wait till (probably) weekend to go to (nearest) O2 store. During weekend, when I visited one store, Palm Pixi Plus was out of stock. Considering terrible weather condition, is ridiculous to order this online because no-one will be able to deliver it.
    Maybe WebOS 2 arrives in a week, but delays are possible. I'm not expecting battery improvements or screen enlargements. Maybe helps with battery life... or maybe helps with battery drainage.

Will my Pixi replace my BlackBerry 9700? It is not as functional, but is prettier to use... Currently my BlackBerry is offline and the Pixi works well but needs recharging three to four times as often.
    I'm not interested about replace my other phones. I'm ex user Palm products (I never had Palm Phone). My last Palm device was Sony CLIE NX70V.
    Besides... O2 has very poor reception in place where I'm working. I'm not expecting miracles.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Palm pre really slow? Nope, its zippy enough for most people. Add the updated kernel through preware and then you got yourself a decent phone. It works like a charm for me and I'm happy with it. I recommend checking out the youtube videos out there to get a idea on the speed.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I work for O2 as a Guru, and bought a Pixi Plus as I'm a WebOS fan.

Do you know that webOS 2 arrives next week due to your position with o2 or the rumour that did the rounds recently? Any further info on when exactly we can expect it to arrive in the UK?
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    in my opinion i wouldn't buy it. i got my pixi plus for free and i dont think you should pay 100 for it. i just dont think it is up to par with alot of phones out in the market right now. WebOS is a great OS though. i just dont like it on the pixi
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    @jvilly92 you got your Pixi for free, but probably you had to sign a contract first, or maybe this phone was given for you.
    I'm not interested about signing a new contract, I'm considering to buy this phone in Pay & Go option. I'll have to pay 100 for handset + 10 top-up, that's it.
    At 100 it's well worth it.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasedo73 View Post
    @jvilly92 you got your Pixi for free, but probably you had to sign a contract first, or maybe this phone was given for you.
    I'm not interested about signing a new contract, I'm considering to buy this phone in Pay & Go option. I'll have to pay 100 for handset + 10 top-up, that's it.
    o okay i understand if the phone is brand new than it is a good price yea
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    Do you know that webOS 2 arrives next week due to your position with o2 or the rumour that did the rounds recently? Any further info on when exactly we can expect it to arrive in the UK?
    Monday is the date I know of; our store is closed and should reopen on Friday, subject to the weather.

As for the other remarks, I picked mine up as a replacement for an iPod. 8 Gb of memory, touchscreen, great browser _and_ also has the 3G radio, so with a 10 PAYG I can have data plus Wifi. All for less than the iPod. Sure... sure it isn't as sophisticated in some respects as the iPod Touch.

Is it worth 100? Absolutely yes. 3G, WLAN, Bluetooth, GPS, touchscreen, physical keyboard and 8 Gb of onboard storage. There's nothing else with this featureset for the same price. Close devices might be the Sony Ericsson X8, which with an 8 Gb card is going to be around 150. Like I say, battery life is an issue... I'm using it as my primary handset at the moment and the battery is not good with my current configuration...

...but there are ways to help battery life. Dropping down the number of accounts that the handset works with is a great way of saving power...
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Don't forget when you get your Pixi to head over to Palm Pixi - Artist Series to get your free artists touchstone back.
    Like Palm, idiots not so much? Visit MockTheAfflicted

twitter: @benfysh
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jvilly92 View Post
    o okay i understand if the phone is brand new than it is a good price yea
    It's not only a price for the brand new phone, it's a price in the strore.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuk View Post
    Don't forget when you get your Pixi to head over to (...) to get your free artists touchstone back.
    No disrespect, but If I'll buy Pixi Plus, I'll stay with original back. (Most probably).

Monday is the date I know of; our store is closed and should reopen on Friday, subject to the weather.
    All country is "closed"

As for the other remarks, I picked mine up as a replacement for an iPod. 8 Gb of memory, touchscreen, great browser _and_ also has the 3G radio, so with a 10 PAYG I can have data plus Wifi. All for less than the iPod. Sure... sure it isn't as sophisticated in some respects as the iPod Touch.
    If I'll decide to buy Palm Pixi Plus, I'll keep my iPod Touch. I'm not trying to compare - I'm trying to find a good gift for myself.
    Recently there's not many interesting phones without a contract. (Not considering very expensive phones).

Is it worth 100? Absolutely yes. 3G, WLAN, Bluetooth, GPS, touchscreen, physical keyboard and 8 Gb of onboard storage. There's nothing else with this featureset for the same price. Close devices might be the Sony Ericsson X8, which with an 8 Gb card is going to be around 150. Like I say, battery life is an issue... I'm using it as my primary handset at the moment and the battery is not good with my current configuration...
    Like I say, there's not much interesting phones in the same / similar price. SE X8 - I had enough Sony Ericsson phones, I'm not trying to say those phones aren't ok, but I'm looking for something new, different.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Thanks! Hopefully we see it appear early next week then!
    Bought one, best thing I bought for 100 pounds.

First thing I did: Preware -> a lot of patches installed, Ubekernel with the latest overclocking option (it's now clocked at 787 Mhz), and basic apps: Facebook, Tweed, Dropboxify, Evernote, Mobile Hotspot patched (I now pretty much have internet everywhere I go on my laptop, just make sure you get the 10 pound, free internet ant text option), Yelp, ReWeather, Neato! and Mode Switcher. Basically every single productive app I needed was there. I don't play games on my phone so I could care less about things like that. If you really are into gaming, a Pre2 or Pre+ at least would be necessary.

I now have a small minicomputer in my pocket that has fully replaced my iPod touch. I'm a university student so I'm on a very tight budget. It was a really cheap smartphone that can really take a beating (dropped twice on asphalt, no problem apart from scratches - btw make sure you buy a case, I pretty much hate them but now I feel sorry I didn't get one), is capable of doing basically anything that an iPhone or any other expensive smartphone could do apart from gaming.

If you really care about things like the feminine name or stigma attached to it, the fact that it can't do gaming or that it's pretty slow compared to a Pre2 then you really are not appreciating anything about this phone. I'm going to buy an iPad in a couple of months so I really love how it would complement a tablet. And at 100 pounds what more could ask for. If you want to invest in something more, put another extra 150 and get a pre+. Don't forget, webOS 2.0 is coming next week if the rumours are true and we are getting it. Pre and Pixi. Sufficient arguments?
    Quote Originally Posted by livioo View Post
    Bought one, best thing I bought for 100 pounds.

First thing I did: Preware -> a lot of patches installed, Ubekernel with the latest overclocking option (it's now clocked at 787 Mhz), and basic apps: Facebook, Tweed, Dropboxify, Evernote, Mobile Hotspot patched (I now pretty much have internet everywhere I go on my laptop, just make sure you get the 10 pound, free internet ant text option), Yelp, ReWeather, Neato! and Mode Switcher. Basically every single productive app I needed was there. I don't play games on my phone so I could care less about things like that. If you really are into gaming, a Pre2 or Pre+ at least would be necessary.
    i was in the same boat as you a few months ago, just looking for reliable phone for a reasonable price... And i didn't want a contract. I saw the pixi plus for 100 and gave it a go. Im happy i did its a great little phone for that price, comes with plenty on it which you would have to pay twice for on another handset. Only issues ive had with mine is the pdf viewer is a total fail, and as you may have read battery life is fairly poor.. But im not short of electricity, if your one of those keen beens who spends hours on their phone then battery life will always been an issue but one possible two charges a day has done me fine.... Only real issue is o2... Poor signal in some areas and they don't support youtube or any streaming over there network =/ ... I bought this phone simpy because i thought it was fantastic at that price and the ease of o2's payg tarrifs. Its not a replacement for your iphones and such, but it gives it a great run for its money with the value you get with this phone.
    Replying a bit late but another opinion cant hurt....

I have had my Pixi Plus on O2 for a month or two now - cant fault it. Certainly not for the money.

I had previously had a Nokia N95 but after a couple of years, although still very capable, had become a bit long in the tooth... I hate the silly contracts for phones with extra bells & whistles (that are mostly totally unecessary) and so shopped around. I had originally considered a Blackberry Curve, but then saw the ads for the Pixi + .... this seemed to offer a lot more, though with smaller screen.

I dont find the screen too small and it suits my purposes (text, email and occasional web/Google Maps etc)... The battery is poor - and lasts a day with little use, or about 3/4's of a day with heavier use - but as I am rarely away from electric supply (via house or car) then this is no real hardship.

All in all it is an excellent phone for the money and a very capable, though arguably basic*, smartphone.

*I have to say that I don't really find it basic or limiting it does all the stuff I need and does them well... I am not interested fancier web stuff, or watching movies on my phone I have proper devices dedicated to those functions.
    Last edited by expatscot; 12/05/2010 at 02:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by expatscot View Post
    Replying a bit late but another opinion cant hurt....

I have had my Pixi Plus on O2 for a month or two now - cant fault it. Certainly not for the money.

I had previously had a Nokia N95 but after a couple of years, although still very capable, had become a bit long in the tooth... I hate the silly contracts for phones with extra bells & whistles (that are mostly totally unecessary) and so shopped around. I had originally considered a Blackberry Curve, but then saw the ads for the Pixi + .... this seemed to offer a lot more, though with smaller screen.

I dont find the screen too small and it suits my purposes (text, email and occasional web/Google Maps etc)... The battery is poor - and lasts a day with little use, or about 3/4's of a day with heavier use - but as I am rarely away from electric supply (via house or car) then this is no real hardship.

All in all it is an excellent phone for the money and a very capable, though arguably basic*, smartphone.

*I have to say that I don't really find it basic or limiting it does all the stuff I need and does them well... I am not interested fancier web stuff, or watching movies on my phone I have proper devices dedicated to those functions.
    i know its a late reply but thought it might be reassuring and maybe other people looking to get the pixi might pass along this thread, i read some other reviews in the post and the posts related to the poor battery seems to overlook everything, yeah its poor but not terrible, of course watchin videos or similar all day will drain the battery.

i also don't understand the issues with the screen size... I think its great ive never wanted a big screen, not interested in watchin videos on my phone so a small screen and great keyboard is deff a plus side.

hope you've found the phone as good as i have, any issues you've had so far im curious?
    Quote Originally Posted by raisind View Post
    hope you've found the phone as good as i have, any issues you've had so far im curious?

I haven't noticed any real issues.... the screen is fine for any of the uses I have had (after all if I want to watch a movie or even a long vid clip of some sort - then I have a TV and/or computer at home).
    The Keypad is great - small yes, but the buttons shape and movement make it very easy to operate.

I know some have complained of the slowish processor and experiencing lag opening apps - cant say that I have noticed this.... or maybe I am just not so rushed that a couple of seconds while something opens up to run really doesn't bother me.

I certainly prefer it to my N95.... before that I had an O2 Orbit/XDA (which was great also, apart from the onscreen keypad was too small for typing/texting with anything but a stylus).

All in all, the Pixi (+) is an excellent phone for the money.. and can only get a bit better when webOS 2.0 is rolled out....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast