1.    #1  
    hey there everybody. I have been looking at the threads for a while and finally signed up for the sake of posting this question.

im looking at a bunch of pixis online. some have a bad esn, some have a broken screen. would it really be as simple as swapping screens or mainboards from the bad part to the good part and making a franken-phone? it seems to me that all the really difficult work involves switching providers.

any insight?
    Yes you can do this. The radio board is the only part that is carrier specific. The other parts are interchangeable like the screen, digitizer, speakers, mics etc. I dont think the main board is carrier specific but not 100% on that.

EDIT: Just remembered that the MEID is on the mainboard so that would not be interchangeable without changing it.
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
    Your right chad every part will change out but the GSM pixi has a little bit diff back cover (not the battery cover) and the MEID is programmed in to the main board but if you buy a new mother board that is Verizon but you need a sprint you can use programs like CDMA wrokshop to reprogram it with your MEID number. Note since your reprogramming a motherboard and not the whole phone its not cloning... Cloning is when you have 2 or more working phones with the same MEID and thats bad lol DONT DO IT...
    Sprint Palm Pre/Verizon Pre Plus On Sprint/Sprint Pixi Hybrid with WIFI