1.    #1  
    hello =)

well i hope ive posted this in the right section ... so i bought my brand new palm pixi the other day and found i could install these plugins to add more IM cients.

im completely new to palm and installing apps and thought ild try to find somone helpful enough to give me a hand.

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-your-pre.html

i was looking at the above link and im trying to fugure it out .. do i need to install quick webos on my computer or phone? and do i need to install preware? ... the phones is just out of the box so i have no idea where to start and well im a bit overly cautious! .... could someone please provide an ***** proof step by step guide as to what i need to install on my phone or pc and what i should be doing in order?

Thanks very much for anyone who took there time to read this and/or reply =)
  2.    #2  
    for starters i tried to install WebOS Quick Install on my pc, im able to select my phone (pixi) but my carrier type is not there, im on o2 - uk but there sonly options for verizon ...
    webOS quick install goes on your computer

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...l-v3-14-a.html

you do not need preware to install the messaging apps, but yes, i would say you still want to have it - most everything else is in there

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

This is good for getting started to http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by pixielee View Post

you do not need preware to install the messaging apps, but yes, i would say you still want to have it - most everything else is in there

This is good for getting started to http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes
    thanks when i read that thread more clearly it solved the things on my mind

im wondering if there are any messengers in the normal app store that support most im clients?

also does downloading and installing any of this software\tweaks\patches affect my phones warrenty with palm in any way?

many thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by raisind View Post

im wondering if there are any messengers in the normal app store that support most im clients?
    yes, Agile Messenger, Mundu IM and others. They dont integrate as nicely as he Messaging Plugins (when you close the app, you sign off...messaging plugins keep you signed in forever)

also does downloading and installing any of this software\tweaks\patches affect my phones warrenty with palm in any way?

many thanks!
    No. Only Overclocking. But play it safe and WebOSDoctor your phone back to its original unpatched state if you need to bring it into your Phone Service Provider.... it just means less hassle for you in the end.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    yes, Agile Messenger, Mundu IM and others. They dont integrate as nicely as he Messaging Plugins (when you close the app, you sign off...messaging plugins keep you signed in forever)

No. Only Overclocking. But play it safe and WebOSDoctor your phone back to its original unpatched state if you need to bring it into your Phone Service Provider.... it just means less hassle for you in the end.
    ohh i see... Well thanks for the advice i shall see how i get along!

how abouts do i reset my phone to its factory settings if something causes to crash or lag?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by pixielee View Post

okay so ive had an extensive read over a few help pages and would like a little more help as im new to all this ...

ive installed webOS quick install and have familarised myself with installing a few things. The messaging plugins require me to install preware which i have managed to do, however how do i install "IPKG Service" & "WebOS Patch" which is also required?
    okay so ive had an extensive read over a few help pages and would like a little more help as im new to all this ...

ive installed webOS quick install and have familarised myself with installing a few things. The messaging plugins require me to install preware which i have managed to do, however how do i install "IPKG Service" & "WebOS Patch" which is also required?
    I think you only need to install "GNU Patch". Run Preware, GNU Patch should be under Available Applications -> Linux Application

Good Luck

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    I think you only need to install "GNU Patch". Run Preware, GNU Patch should be under Available Applications -> Linux Application

Good Luck

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    thankyouu... I have managed to instal the plugins however there are a few issues im having.

firstly its a bit laggy, it does cause my phones to run slower then usual especially when im switching between 'conversations' & 'buddies'

also im finding it hard to sign into just one account rather then all of them, they all sign in even when i only want one,

and it says im offline but my contact list is still online and vise verse ...

are these known issues and is this a common thing other users are experiencing or isit just me?
    thankyouu... I have managed to instal the plugins however there are a few issues im having.

firstly its a bit laggy, it does cause my phones to run slower then usual especially when im switching between 'conversations' & 'buddies'

also im finding it hard to sign into just one account rather then all of them, they all sign in even when i only want one,

and it says im offline but my contact list is still online and vise verse ...

are these known issues and is this a common thing other users are experiencing or isit just me?
    Yes, it lags a bit, more if you have lots of contacts. If you want to log onto just one account, go offline first, then enter the accounts page, select your account and a drop down will appear, I think it says connect, and it will ask your password. This is a known issue and it couldn't be changed.

For the offline/online contacts issue, give it a few more seconds, if you go offline it takes several seconds to disconnect from the servers and update the info.

All are known issues, and common, but as you can see, it's manageable.

have fun!
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  11.    #11  
    Yes, it lags a bit, more if you have lots of contacts. If you want to log onto just one account, go offline first, then enter the accounts page, select your account and a drop down will appear, I think it says connect, and it will ask your password. This is a known issue and it couldn't be changed.

For the offline/online contacts issue, give it a few more seconds, if you go offline it takes several seconds to disconnect from the servers and update the info.

have fun!
    okie dokie well thankyou... I just hope there's a webos update that eventually supports most chat clients... Once again many thanks =)
    webOS 2.0 is supposed to come with an architecture that will be more open and friendly for developers to create messaging plugins. This, of course, will have to be researched again, but I'm confident that it'll work much better than this
  13.    #13  

have fun!
    there is one other issue that im wondering can be solved, nothing to do with the plugins themselves i think but when i sign into an account the contacts are added to my phone contacts, but i only want the contacts from my sim card and mobile numbers only, instead i get all the contacts bein added, the default account under my contacts says 'palm profile' but is there a way to change that so only numbers are shown?