1.    #1  
    got a pixi coming from a treo 755p and notice all these post about patches or homebrew and want to know if their needed , useful to my pixi - understand they will customize my phone and i do love customizing which is better, easy to install and safe to install homebrew or a patch that won't crash my pixi or destroy it causing me to have reset - did that twice reset
    i am a novice but follow instructions well
    very useful these patches are . They add customization to your phone along with functionallity. Yes they are needed in alot of cases. It just depends on how you want to change it.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Patches add missing features to the Messaging, Email, Calendar, Phone, Browser, and other apps.

.... It's pretty much customizing your device to suite your everyday needs.
    patches add back many of the features that are missing from your treo, and provide almost unlimited customization of your phone.

Preware is like the 'app catalog' for patches and homebrew goodness.

once you have it, there are hundreds of patches to become your new addiction.

you can't brick the phone, and it's super easy once you read up on it.

good preware documentation app in the palm catalog gives you great info for 99 cents, too.
    Have you noticed that when you compose a text/sms message the Enter/Return key sends the text/sms, rather than letting you start a new line. There is a patch that adds the New Line feature.
    Just one example of good patching.
    Quote Originally Posted by san7697 View Post

which is better, easy to install and safe to install homebrew or a patch that won't crash my pixi or destroy it ...
    Homebrew refers to the whole process of custom modification of webOS phones by methods frowned upon or forbidden by other manufacturers, but condoned and supported by Palm and now HP/Palm. Your homebrew reference I presume is more about applications, and they don't really do the same thing as patches. In the normal fashion, homebrew applications perform a function or functions during their operation, whereas patches literally patch the operating system to give it different permanent behaviour or to add features. That is facilitated by the fact that much of webOS is Javscript text files, so patching is basically automated document editing. Patches can of course be poorly written, but if they are by reputable authors or have been in use for a while and have been recommended, there is not much risk associated with using them. WebOS Internals' Preware makes it very simple to add and remove both patches and applications.
  7.    #7  
    thanks - so better to use preware because i want permanent behaviour change - how can i find or where can i find preware or some patch that are tried for pixi - i can not clink on links not enough posts-
    thanks - so better to use preware because i want permanent behaviour change - how can i find or where can i find preware or some patch that are tried for pixi - i can not clink on links not enough posts-
    Preware will allow you to easily install both patches and applications. The instructions look a bit complicated, but you only need to do them once. Just follow the instructions carefully and you won't have a problem

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals
    All you need to do is open the App Catalog and type in Preware. Get the Preware Homebrew Documentation app. Open it and follow the instructions. Then enjoy your new phone.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    got a pixi coming from a treo 755p and notice all these post about patches or homebrew and want to know if their needed , useful to my pixi - understand they will customize my phone and i do love customizing which is better, easy to install and safe to install homebrew or a patch that won't crash my pixi or destroy it causing me to have reset - did that twice reset
    i am a novice but follow instructions well
    Based on the OP's initial post, i would say that the "smileys in symbol box" would be the best patch for you! just sayin.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Without patches the my Pre just would not have been functional for me. With patches it is great and a pleasure to use.
  12.    #12  
    thanks for all your help defining terms and where to go instruction which is what i needed - install preware homebrew documentation and followed instructions - it was easy and now on my phone just in case- thanks
    thanks for all your help defining terms and where to go instruction which is what i needed - install preware homebrew documentation and followed instructions - it was easy and now on my phone just in case- thanks
    Excellent!
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation