1.    #1  
    i am trying to install preware. i did like the forums and some videos i seen, but when i hook up my phone to the usb cable and hit charge only it seems like it isn't connecting. it keeps saying searching for device. can someone give me a some suggestions and make them in laymans terms cause i am not that tech savvy.

thank you.
    are you in developer mode? also, make sure you use the palm cable that came with the phone. try resetting the phone completely and don't connect it to the PC until it is fully booted.

are you trying to use the stand alone installer, or are you using Quick Install?
  3.    #3  
    how do you put in developer mode? resetting the phone? and i am using quick install.
    type webos20090606 and tap the icon that appears, then reset when it asks you.

if you don't know that, you better stop and read the QuickInstall instructions thread again. it isn't hard, but you need to follow the directions to make sure it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by navyairframer View Post
    i am trying to install preware. i did like the forums and some videos i seen, but when i hook up my phone to the usb cable and hit charge only it seems like it isn't connecting. it keeps saying searching for device. can someone give me a some suggestions and make them in laymans terms cause i am not that tech savvy.
    The Preware Homebrew Documentation app in the official app catalog is written just for this purpose.

Search for "Preware" in the app catalog, and take it from there ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  6.    #6  
    i have quick install hooked up but when i go to hook up my phone and hit the charge only key quick install keeps giving me an error code saying connection refused : connect, and device not found.
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by navyairframer View Post
    i have quick install hooked up but when i go to hook up my phone and hit the charge only key quick install keeps giving me an error code saying connection refused : connect, and device not found.
    here's a troubleshooting guide to add preware

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Troubleshooting Guide

My browser downloaded the file as WebOSQuickInstall.download or WebOSQuickInstall.zip
    This seems to be an issue for some people on some browsers. Try renaming manually to ".jar" extension.

I've unzipped the file, what do I do next?
    Nothing! Don not, I repeat, DO NOT, unzip/unrar the .jar file. The nature of a JAR file is that it is both an archive and an executable program. We only wanna use the executable program aspect.

How do I run the program?
    Window:
    • Double-clicking on the .jar should work. If it doesn't, reinstall Java 1.6.

Mac OS X:
    • According to this document, OS X 10.5 Update 1 is when Macs got Java SE 6 (aka Java 1.6). This is required for WebOS Quick Install to run correctly.
    • For some MacOS versions that don't support the above release of Java 1.6, you want to try SoyLatte.
    • Also, run /Application/Utilities/Java/Java Preferences. Then click and drag Jave SE 6 to top of both list, and exit the program. This will set Java 1.6 as the default version to use and should have no ill side effects.

Ubuntu:
    • To install the current version of Java, enter the following in terminal:
      sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre
    • To run the .jar, right click, choose "Open with" and select "Sun Java X.X runtime"

For more info, see How to Run a .Jar Java File: 11 steps - wikiHow

I already WebOSDoctor downloaded. Do I have to download it again?
    Nope, you can just move your existing copy to the same folder as WebOS Quick Install and the program will run.

I'm seeing this screen. What do I do next?
    Nothing, close that window! That's WebOSDoctor. You don't want to run that unless you want to reset your Pre to factory WebOS settings (and wiping all your data).

In WebOS Quick Install, clicking menu Tools->Device Management does absolutely nothing
    This means WebOS Quick Install is unable to access the WebOSDoctor.jar file. Possibly corrupted jar file. You'll want to delete the WebOSDoctor.jar file then redownload from this link in post #1. Put that downloaded file in the same folder as WebOS Quick Install.

I'm getting "ERROR: No device found."
    Common error. Two main reasons this could occur:
    1. Mis-matched your choice of device. In WebOS Quick Install, click menu File->Options. If your target is the WebOS emulator on your computer, choose "Emulator"; if your target is a real device, like a Palm Pre, choose "USB Device".
    2. Your device and/or computer are not configured correctly. WebOS Quick Install depends on both your device being ready for the connection as well as your computer being ready for the connection.
      • Novacom needs to be installed on your computer. In WebOS Quick Install, click menu File->Options. Click the "Attempt Novacom (re)installation" button.
        • Alternatively, Windows users can manually install Novacom via this method.
        • Linux users can download Novacom here. Read this guide if your Linux distribution doesn't use Debian files.
        • A computer restart is highly recommended.
        • Windows users can verify Novacom is running by going StartMenu->Run...->"services.msc" and looking for a "Palm Novacom" entry and making sure it's started.
      • Bad USB Connection
        • It's recommended to plug in your device into a main USB port that outputs power
        • Some people have reported devices, like Canon printers, interfering with a Novacom-based connection
        • It's highly recommended to use an OEM USB cable, as some eBay ones have been reported to prevent a Novacom-based connection
      • WebOS device needs to have DevMode.
        • This can be done by typing "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart", opening the DeveloperMode app, and enabling the feature. Don't worry, the reset won't wipe any data.
        • Some circumstances can cause the the toggle to show as enabled even when its disabled. To solve this problem, disable it then re-enable it.
        • Some people report OTA updates reset DevMode. Keep that in mind when updating.
      • Novacom Connection Issue
        • Rare, but not unheard of. Restarting the service (or your computer) will fix this
        • On Windows, go StartMenu->Run...->"services.msc" and look for a "Palm Novacom" entry. Right click it and choose "Restart"
      • Wrong Java Installation
        • Some people have reported that installing 32bit Java on 64bit computer, and vice versa, can cause issues when running WebOS Quick Install
      • When you plugin your device, choose "Just Charge"
    +1 rwhitby.....it spells it out for you there...and it supports the devs that made it possible, for 99, which for what you get out of it, best bang for your buck, bar none,.in the catalog.
    Even though I pretty much didn't need it.. I have to show my appreciation to Rob, and the webos internals community. I would strongly recommend getting this app. It's available in the palm app catolog. Only $.99cents.