Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Yes... I suspect it's a 64-bit Windows 7 issue... Guess what I have sitting here *waves to Windows XP notebook*

And also... I had a long chat with our Palm representative today and his Pixi Plus is rocking Govnah. It's much more responsive...
    Quote Originally Posted by DervMan View Post
    It was in developer mode. It wasn't recognised. Probably another quirk of 64-bit Internet Explorer. But tonight, I'm done playing... and really I just wanna use the Pixi!
    I had that same issue when I was trying to setup my fiancées Pixi. When I was using the executable self-installer it wouldn't work, wouldn't install the drivers properly. I used the .jar self-installer instead and that worked perfectly.
    If the Palm rep is using UberKernel + Govnah, then obviously Palm knows these modifications greatly improve the usability of the device. They should come up with a way to safely increase the clock speed of their devices with an OTA update, with the option of downclocking to save battery life. What would be more awesome than getting 1GHz with an OTA update? (Okay, maybe webOS 2.0 would be better).

Also, did you manage to find which of your apps is giving you memory leaks? I would bet your Pixi would be much nicer to you if you kill that app.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Well... sort of regarding the Palm chap. I'm not using UberKernel as I write this...

So anyway, I have easily installed the necessary using my 32-bit Windows XP notebook. No problems. As I type this, the Pixi is downloading the Preware stuff. Then I can play.

Update: ohh hai UberKernel.
    Quote Originally Posted by DervMan View Post
    Greetings!

So as some background, I'm an O2 Guru and a long (loooooooong) time Palm OS user. I was so excited when Web OS was introduced but was so very disappointed that it didn't include voice dial, a keyboard shortcut and both devices have a small battery... for my previous career I needed these three tick boxes, well ticked.

Now I'm an O2 Guru and I have basically the pick of all of O2's handsets. I tried a Pre but the battery life was just... well... appalling. Dire. Recharge by lunch, even with lots and lots of stuff turned off. The Pixi is better, much better... but even so. As a device it just isn't quite there for me.

See... I love how Web OS works, I love the form factor (touchscreen, QWERTY keyboard, no moving parts) and Touchstone is the icing on the cake. But over my first week, well the Pixi has been just a little inconsistent. The Pre walked through everything I threw at it with dozens of cards open and the Pixi struggles... I get this, but something I've been using has caused a memory leak. One reboot later and things are working much better... but... eeehh... *feels a bit let down*

At the moment I want to keep my Pixi as Palm builds it, so no Preware just yet...

I can see myself having a love / hate relationship with the Pixi Plus, in her delightful hot pink battery back cover. Is the trick just to reboot her every day or so..? Or is there a blacklist of applications known to have leaks?

To answer your question as directly as possible (and as my cohorts on here are getting at) is that there is a memory leak, and there is nothing you can do with it really in the stock webOS experience (other than reboot when this happens). We as a community not only use Preware to make our phones look nicer, but for function as well. There are patches made by those in the community that help fix a lot of the issues plaguing webOS. It is really easy to use and even more fun to play with. Any further questions you have go right ahead and ask us here and I'm sure we can always find a solution to you.

Also, you should keep your Pixi Plus because of the form factor, the spectacular keyboard, and the best and most functional mobile operating system out there. Period.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    So... for the time being I'm keeping my Pixi on, but in a limited capacity; no active SIM. I've unlocked it, but I'm keeping my 3UK SIM in my BlackBerry for the time being...

I need a Twitter client with a friend-finder when I hit the @ key, which I'm yet to find. And a wireless keyboard driver. And a document editor... oh and twice the battery life. But I like the Pixi very much and forgive it most of the above, just not all at once...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12